Author Topic: Persimmon fruit question  (Read 323 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Persimmon fruit question
« on: October 08, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »
Hi, do i need to pick those persimmons from my trees to further ripen them, or should i let them experiense some frost? I think i have read somewhere that they ripen with the help of frosts??
By the way ,does anyone reccognise the varieties from the fruit pics ?? <br /> <br />

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon fruit question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »
This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed still hard as apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones,whichever those turn out to be....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 03:29:04 PM »
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed while still hard ,like apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones, whichever those turn out to be....

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »
Looks like a fuyu to me. That would be a non-astringent variety. So you need to wait until the fruit turns yellow before you eat it or it will not be sweet. Fuyu is hard like an apple so you will like it.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 01:35:12 AM »
Looks like a fuyu to me. That would be a non-astringent variety. So you need to wait until the fruit turns yellow before you eat it or it will not be sweet. Fuyu is hard like an apple so you will like it.
thank you for replying, do both varieties look like fuyu ,or only the bigger fruited one?? The last two photos are of another persimmon, as u can see the fruits look different compared to the other one.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 02:40:48 AM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:21:17 PM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 02:45:39 AM »
The flat square ones are fuyu, see my photos of the fuyu I have below.

lol thanks ,those look yummy, they sure look alike , do they always come seedless for u ? I was hoping to harvest some seeds and  propagate rootstocks come spring.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 03:00:32 AM »
Yes, my Fuyu is always seedless and the other fuyus I have tasted (not mine) are also seedless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk