Author Topic: Cherimoya Rootstock Increases Yield in Sugar Apple  (Read 1041 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Cherimoya Rootstock Increases Yield in Sugar Apple
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
I was doing some reading and came accross this article from an Isreli study. To sumarize, Sugar Apple scions grafted to Cherimoya rootstock in this study were almost twice as productive as those grafted to Sugar Apple roots and far more productive than Cherimoya grafted to Cherimoya roots. In addition, the cross grafted trees had larger trunk diameters, heavier fruits, and a higher proportion of edible pulp.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333247923_Effect_of_grafting_of_sugar_apple_A_squamosa_scion_on_the_cherimoya_A_cherimola_rootstock_on_annona_fruit_production_under_the_climatic_conditions_of_South_Lebanon&ved=2ahUKEwjrhtzgqMbzAhVKQjABHTGBDN0QFnoECCEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0PEzfg3OVPVNN3N8PP2rXL&cshid=1634092662493

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Rootstock Increases Yield in Sugar Apple
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »
Excellent find! Thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to note that the graft is made very low on the rootstock, almost to where the roots are. Reminds me of how Adam does his Annonas grafts.
Thera

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 03:39:55 PM »
Very interesting.   Plants grafted onto cherimoya grow faster, and produce faster.  There is however a small difference in sugar content, however, I don't know if that is statistically significant.  At least to me it is quite interesting.

This is research done in Lebanon...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:29 PM »
Nice.  I new about the improved performance of atemoyas when on cherimoya rootstock, but I didn't know this about squamosa scions.
Har

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »
This is research done in Lebanon...

You are right. Somehow I got confused and thought it was Israel. The title says South Lebanon.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
I get the same results in SoCal but be weary of that study as it was conducted in a Mediterranean climate like ours in SoCal. I doubt you would get the same results in south Florida and I know it’s not true in Yucatán were I have experimented w cherimoya rootstock….rootstock I’ve had the best results in Yucatán have been with saramoyos and annona primigenia.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 09:10:17 PM »
I get the same results in SoCal but be weary of that study as it was conducted in a Mediterranean climate like ours in SoCal. I doubt you would get the same results in south Florida and I know it’s not true in Yucatán were I have experimented w cherimoya rootstock….rootstock I’ve had the best results in Yucatán have been with saramoyos and annona primigenia.

Very interesting, I had never heard of Anona primigenia before.