Author Topic: Results of Citrangequat vs Sudachi Taste test  (Read 998 times)

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
Results of Citrangequat vs Sudachi Taste test
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
Ok, so Today I decided to pick one of my Sudachi and one of my citrangequats to compare since I will be moving in a few years.
I unfortunately didn't measure the weight of the fruit before hand.

The Sudachi was 3 times the size of the Thomasville, but the thomasville was definitely more juicy. The Sudachi gave exactly 1 Teaspoon (measured) of juice.  The Thomasville have slightly over 1 teaspoon.

I put the juice in 2 separate cups, and made an ade. 1 teaspoon of simple syruo (1:1 sugar and water), with 3 teaspoons of water.

I marked the cups and put some ice in it, and served to my wife and son.

Interestingly, both my wife and son preferred the Thomasville to the Sudachi-ade. Both said that the Sudachi was more orange-y. 
The Zest of the sudachi was more unique to me. I did taste that slight pepper flavor that people mention. The thomasville zest of course had that citrange component, so I wouldn't try to use that zest in anything.

If the Thomasville zest tasted better, I think it would be a clear winner. More juice, more acid taste, and it's proven more hardy. Juice wise, it's still more useful. I'll try this again when they're both yellow ripe.

Next test will probably be meyer lemons vs ichang lemons...

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Results of Citrangequat vs Sudachi Taste test
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »
Ok, so Today I decided to pick one of my Sudachi and one of my citrangequats to compare since I will be moving in a few years.
Make sure you put a clear label on the plant so the new home owner will know what it is.
If the new owner knows what it is, they are more likely to take care of it or not rip it out. Labels can be made from write-on metal tags.

I find Thomasville to be surprisingly edible for a trifoliate hybrid, very little of the poncirus taste. I can eat them. A little bit of a kumquat mandarin orange and lime-like in a way flavor, not the best quality flavor but satisfactory, you could eat them or find some culinary uses.

Sudachi is higher quality. More lime and Yuzu-like. Its peel is also somewhat edible. Maybe the peel is slightly tougher than citrangequat but also a little better flavor.

Citrangequat is a more vigorous grower than Sudachi, which doesn't seem to have much vigor at all, but in terms of how much cold they can tolerate, I think they seem to be similar. My Sudachi here in zone 8a PNW area seems to be doing just okay and surviving. Even managed to produce a few little fruit druplets, maybe the plant's fruits will be able to ripen in later years when the plant grows bigger.
Maybe citrangequat can tolerate more cold but it will not do well, will suffer some die-back in temperatures colder than what the Sudachi can take.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:33:45 PM by SoCal2warm »

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 07:36:36 PM »
I didn't get Lime taste from the sudachi at all. It was very mandarin tasting. Maybe I should have picked them in July, or maybe this isn't actually Sudachi. I do know that Sudachi is usually picked hard green, but this wasn't even at a color break yet...

The Citrangequat has been in ground for 7 years and has done well. The Sudachi does seem to be a very slow grower. It will remain in a pot so that I can take it with me later.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 04:31:32 PM »
I didn't mean that Sudachi really tasted like lime. I meant it is a little lime-like in the same way that Yuzu is a little lime-like, and that combined with the sourness if it is picked green.
Maybe it's more accurate to say it can be used much the same way like lime. There is definitely at least a little hint of lime flavor in there though, but also in addition to that there is something green and unripe that tastes reminiscent of a lime type of flavor.
Of course the flavor overall is much more like a zesty fragrant sour orange.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:34:10 PM by SoCal2warm »

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:25:46 PM »
Attached is a picture of a store bought Eureka vs Sudachi vs Thomasville <br /><br />