Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Fwang Tung Carambola taste differently then other Carambola varieties

(1/3) > >>

bovine421:
I have a Carambola but I don't remember where I got it just that it was supposed to be a Dwarf. It's been transplanted three times because of mango trees and was a low-priority tree to me. I have been warned not to move that tree anymore. In the summer my wife was walking through the Mini Grove and almost stepped on a snake. I cornered him underneath the Carambola and dealt with him. So I decided to prune the lower branches and discovered it had fruit. My wife made juice and it was excellent. I decided to pick up another tree and didn't know much about the different varieties so I asked my friend and she suggested  Fwang Tung because it is quite popular with her customers. After getting home and having time I did a little research and some describe this Carambola as having a green grape flavor instead of citrus. How would you describe this particular variety. Is it distinctly different than others or just  a subtle difference.

JoshuaTilaranCR:
I'm not sure if what I have of Fwang Tung but it looks like it, the fruits are light green/light yellow when ripe and it's sweet. To me it tastes like a wineberry raspberry. I don't get any grape from it.

W.:
Adam Shafran (Flying Fox Fruits) has talked about Fwang Tung on several videos. He gives it high marks for flavor and says it tastes different in comparison to your standard carambolas, even the sweet varieties. I do not remember him mentioning a green grape flavor, but I also do not remember what exactly he described it as tasting like.

Poor snake.

johnb51:
Was it a poisonous snake?  You're not killing non-poisonous snakes, are you?

skhan:
I was growing Island gold, Fwang Tung, Kari, and Lara at the same time.
I only have Lara and Fwang left now and Lara is about to go

Most people who try the fruits prefer the Fwang tung.
I'm not that great at discerning the flavors of starfruit but I do find Fwang tung to have the least "starfruit" type flavor.
Your description of grape seems to work though, but a mild grape.

I don't find it much sweeter than the other starfruits but it's pretty good at most stages. (Don't have to wait for complete color like the rest of the yellow ones)
The two things I like about it most is the texture (some starfruits get to soft what you leave it to ripen to long on the tree) and the ridge part of the fruit is edible (sweetest part).
Also big fruits.

If your in the area and want to try some I should have more fruits in Dec

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version