Author Topic: Fwang Tung Carambola taste differently then other Carambola varieties  (Read 2237 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I have a Carambola but I don't remember where I got it just that it was supposed to be a Dwarf. It's been transplanted three times because of mango trees and was a low-priority tree to me. I have been warned not to move that tree anymore. In the summer my wife was walking through the Mini Grove and almost stepped on a snake. I cornered him underneath the Carambola and dealt with him. So I decided to prune the lower branches and discovered it had fruit. My wife made juice and it was excellent. I decided to pick up another tree and didn't know much about the different varieties so I asked my friend and she suggested  Fwang Tung because it is quite popular with her customers. After getting home and having time I did a little research and some describe this Carambola as having a green grape flavor instead of citrus. How would you describe this particular variety. Is it distinctly different than others or just  a subtle difference.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:41:42 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Fwang Tung Carambola taste differently then other Carambola varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:12:06 PM »
I'm not sure if what I have of Fwang Tung but it looks like it, the fruits are light green/light yellow when ripe and it's sweet. To me it tastes like a wineberry raspberry. I don't get any grape from it.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 03:40:08 AM »
Adam Shafran (Flying Fox Fruits) has talked about Fwang Tung on several videos. He gives it high marks for flavor and says it tastes different in comparison to your standard carambolas, even the sweet varieties. I do not remember him mentioning a green grape flavor, but I also do not remember what exactly he described it as tasting like.

Poor snake.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »
Was it a poisonous snake?  You're not killing non-poisonous snakes, are you?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:48:02 PM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 08:59:31 AM »
I was growing Island gold, Fwang Tung, Kari, and Lara at the same time.
I only have Lara and Fwang left now and Lara is about to go

Most people who try the fruits prefer the Fwang tung.
I'm not that great at discerning the flavors of starfruit but I do find Fwang tung to have the least "starfruit" type flavor.
Your description of grape seems to work though, but a mild grape.

I don't find it much sweeter than the other starfruits but it's pretty good at most stages. (Don't have to wait for complete color like the rest of the yellow ones)
The two things I like about it most is the texture (some starfruits get to soft what you leave it to ripen to long on the tree) and the ridge part of the fruit is edible (sweetest part).
Also big fruits.

If your in the area and want to try some I should have more fruits in Dec

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
I was growing Island gold, Fwang Tung, Kari, and Lara at the same time.
I only have Lara and Fwang left now and Lara is about to go

Most people who try the fruits prefer the Fwang tung.
I'm not that great at discerning the flavors of starfruit but I do find Fwang tung to have the least "starfruit" type flavor.
Your description of grape seems to work though, but a mild grape.

I don't find it much sweeter than the other starfruits but it's pretty good at most stages. (Don't have to wait for complete color like the rest of the yellow ones)
The two things I like about it most is the texture (some starfruits get to soft what you leave it to ripen to long on the tree) and the ridge part of the fruit is edible (sweetest part).
Also big fruits.

If your in the area and want to try some I should have more fruits in Dec
I won't be in your area until March spring break. Will be there for a full week with a whole lot of nothing to do.  We'll get in touch would love to tour your Grove.
John51 because of the loose sand I was able to pin the snake with the shovel with only causing minor skin damage. I relocated him to a very rural area and tickled his tail with a feather as I do squirrels and raccoons. I know nothing about snakes but I think that might have been a Tropical Vegan snake. :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:39:55 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
I won't be in your area until March spring break. Will be there for a full week with a whole lot of nothing to do.  We'll get in touch would love to tour your Grove.

I hope he doesn't get lost in your grove, skhan! ;) ;D
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
Fwang Tung fruit improve greatly as the tree matures. My Dad had a tree that made fruit from a young age, but it wasn't really good until the tree was about 5-6 years old. Don't give up on it too early if the first few crops are mediocre.
I had already pretty much given up on it,but grabbed one this Spring passing by the tree and was shocked by the improvement. I planted one in my yard this year.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »

I hope he doesn't get lost in your grove, skhan! ;) ;D
Look what I caught in my snake trap a Tropical Sciuridae avocado connoisseur. Yes I know catch and release. I need to get a motorcycle with a sidecar. The old Rust-Oleum truck burning too much gas.Lol

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 07:36:29 PM »
I would rather you catch and release the snake than catch and release that tree rat. Better yet, feed the squirrel to the snake and make everyone happy.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »
Yes snakes good, rodents bad
Snakes eat rodents I wouldn’t relocate snake unless venomous

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 08:26:20 PM »
Yes snakes good, rodents bad
Snakes eat rodents I wouldn’t relocate snake unless venomous
I was afraid he would swallow my little friend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk