Author Topic: Organic scale control  (Read 1668 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Organic scale control
« on: January 07, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
What organic methods you guys using to control or eliminate scale on your trees? Between manually picking them off or blasting off with the hose its a never ending battle.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Organic scale control
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 01:26:30 PM »
I upgraded spraying them off to using a power washer w/ fan nozzle.  But no, never ending battle even using synthetic pesticides

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »
I used neem oil to eradicate the problem, but once all the trees were back into the greenhouse, they spread like wildfire. First it was just a couple on the abiu...then the mango...and that seems to be it for now - they don't seem to go to other trees.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:36:26 PM »
Dawn soap and water, suffocates them
Nate

sbtropic

• USA, California, Santa Barbara, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 05:54:16 PM »
Keep ants off of the tree.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 09:05:41 PM »
I swear these thing appear in the hundreds as soon I bring plants indoors for the winter. Soursop...covered, sapodilla...covered, syzygiums..covered. Everyday I notice more leaves covered in that clear sap.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 01:37:46 PM »
The trials and tribulations of overwintering indoors

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 04:49:10 AM »
Tanglefoot around trunk, I have not had a problem with direct applications to the trunk.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 05:06:10 AM by FMfruitforest »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 09:21:42 AM »
I move my plants with scale outside...usually the condition change causes them to no longer thrive and then I imagine parasitoids are more capable of accessing them
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 10:00:25 AM »
New from Marvel... The Avengers Vs. the Parasitoids...
"Its Time to Bring Down the Hammer!"

Kevin

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »
A dormant oil spray has worked in my greenhouse for 18 years. Occassinally, I have to add a summer spray with all seasons horticultural oil. The hardest crop to get control on is citrus because all the nooks and crannies hinder full coverage. On most tree crops it's not that difficult. One spray a year.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 03:14:51 PM »
They are farmed by ants so if you get rid of the ants, part of your problem is solved. I've had great success keeping the ants off just by putting a thick ring of Vaseline around the trunk. Sounds crazy but they can't climb over it and it doesn't wash off in the rain! Then I proceed to wipe the undersides of the leaves with soapy water but honestly once the ants stop taking care of the scale, the natural predators should handle them just fine.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 12:40:39 AM »
We dont grow in a greenhouse.  But in the fields we control ants and scale is a minor concern.  We make boric acid traps and place them around the farms

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »
Not an organic control, but here is the only thing that worked for me:

I had a serious pest problem on citrus, white sapote, and on a large gardenia bush in my yard.  These plants were being farmed by ants (bigheaded ants = Pheidole megacephala), an invasive species to Florida and which proved impervious to all the controls I tried on them. These ants would just stroll right through any treated areas and continue farming.  They were farming both aphids and scales on the above mentioned types of plants in my yard.

Eventually, completely frustrated, I decided to try treating systemically for the aphids and scales by broadcasting granular Imidacloprid around the bases of the affected plants and watering it in as instructed.  That soon killed the ahhids and scales on the plants and the crazy ants finally moved on since their farming efforts were being thwarted on the treated plants.  The Imidacloprid treatement tends to last for about two to three months depending on how rainy it is here at the time.

Unfortunately, once the Imidacloprid's effectiveness would begin to wear off, the ants would return and start farmng the plants again requiring another broadcasting of Imdacloprid.

NOTE: Imidacloprid unfortunately is toxic to honeybees and has  now been shown to be a cause of honeybee colony collapse. Bees take nectar from flowers of treated plants and return to the hive and feed the nectar to the incubating bee larvæ, preventing them from maturing.  The affected honeybees also eventually die from aging out and because now there are no larvæ to replace those old worker bees, the colony begins to fail.    To try to minimize or eliminate its impact on honeybees I now schedule applications of Imidacloprid during times when the treated plants have finished blooming for their season.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
Tanglefoot has more or less solved my severe problems on my grumichamas - but I did chop off almost all the growth that was infested because they were hiding too well in the leaflets.

Imidacloprid did not seem to do a thing for them, they just kept on multiplying with the help of the ants.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »
I agree you must stop the ants to keep the scales away. I personally use an organic product called “Azera” and you can purchase it on Amazon. I use the high dose and spray it on my trees using an electric Fogger to get inside the canopy.

I also use a spreader/sticker/extender called Nufilm P. Nufilm is also certified for organic use. This has gotten rid of my scale issues in my yard.

Horticultural oil with Nufilm p would probably give you good results as well.

I like the idea of Vaseline to stop the ants, I’ve never tried this but I’ll test it out.

Simon

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 07:29:34 PM »
The problem I have is that my biggest infestations occur in the winter months when my plants are overwintering and when no ants are present.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 11:01:24 PM »
I swear these thing appear in the hundreds as soon I bring plants indoors for the winter. Soursop...covered, sapodilla...covered, syzygiums..covered. Everyday I notice more leaves covered in that clear sap.
have you tried having a praying mantis as a pet with a scale buffet available to it during those cold Jersey winters?  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk