Author Topic: Pouteria pollination  (Read 626 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Pouteria pollination
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:57:09 PM »
I have three pouteria trees that have set significant blooms once or twice but no fruit or even fruitlets yet.  I don't actually know a whole lot about them, is it likely that they need same-species cross-pollination?  They are:  canistel (grafted, Bruce), green sapote (grafted), abiu (seedling).  I don't have more than one of each species.

The canistel is in-ground in my greenhouse and probably doesn't seem many pollinators.  The abiu and green sapote are in containers and were outside during bee season.

cnewfield

• USA, HI, Pupukea, Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Pouteria pollination
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 02:31:41 AM »
I believe more common Pouterias like abiu, mamey and green sapote will flower multiple times before they hold fruit especially if they are grafted. At least that has been my experience with abiu and mamey sapote and I've read so elsewhere online.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »
Thank you.  I will keep waiting and see.   The plants are quite healthy.

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »
My Fairchild Canistel has been in the ground for close to seven years. And I had the same issue. Many flowers but no fruit set.
Then I saw someone on the interweb mention pinching the flowers one at a time (not too hard of a pinch). Maybe it was a coincidence, but I have at least 100 marble-sized fruits and multiples on a single branch. Give it a try, it wouldn't hurt.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
My Fairchild Canistel has been in the ground for close to seven years. And I had the same issue. Many flowers but no fruit set.
Then I saw someone on the interweb mention pinching the flowers one at a time (not too hard of a pinch). Maybe it was a coincidence, but I have at least 100 marble-sized fruits and multiples on a single branch. Give it a try, it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks, I will try this now!  My canistel currently has a bunch of flowers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk