Author Topic: Dragonfruit advice  (Read 478 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Dragonfruit advice
« on: April 25, 2022, 08:23:16 PM »
Been moving plants in and out of the greenhouse this month and recently noticed my dragonfruit vines have rotted out at the bottom. Definitely due to staying too wet over the winter. There is a ton of aerial roots. How can this be salvaged? Should I just mound up with more substrate and hope the aerial roots take over or should I take cuttings and start over?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfruit advice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:33:39 PM »
I'm not seeing anything terrible here? If there is rotten flesh, just use a clean knife and scrape it away from the central wooden spine. It will grow just fine above that. I have many like this, even in the middle of the main vine that has several hundred pounds of new arms on top of the trellis attached to it.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfruit advice
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 09:45:06 PM »
I'm not seeing anything terrible here? If there is rotten flesh, just use a clean knife and scrape it away from the central wooden spine. It will grow just fine above that. I have many like this, even in the middle of the main vine that has several hundred pounds of new arms on top of the trellis attached to it.

Ah ok, good to know. If you zoom in on those pics you can kinda see where it rotted. It turned yellowish brown and the flesh is straight mush.