Author Topic: Is a black sapote tree worth having?  (Read 2422 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Is a black sapote tree worth having?
« on: June 20, 2022, 07:03:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm very short on space and was wondering if it's worth it to have a black sapote tree?  I know it's a matter of opinion, but I would like to eat the fruit and not just 'collect.'   Do people with this fruit actually use it enough to warrant having a tree?   

Thanks,

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Is a black sapote tree worth having?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 08:13:18 PM »
Yes it is worth it, I've had it from three different sources or so - here's my takes:

First time having it .. it wasn't good. Second time I was given a lot and they were super mild on their own but delicious with condensed milk and ice, third time (different variety I suppose) they were actually quite good out of hand, not as mild as the previous times albeit still mild, I enjoyed some on their own, with peanut butter, and as a shake.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 08:25:20 PM »
It’s definitely a personal preference thing. No one else in my family likes it but me. And here is how I enjoy it: smear it on raisin toast like jelly with some butter…. Dude……. Drool. Hahaha I have 10 seedlings going on 2.5 years going to try and fruit them.

Would recommend you try the fruit first, and in order for it to be good you gotta eat it really ripe 👍

Btw this tree is surprisingly high in vitamin C as well as Barbados cherry, would recommend growing either of those as personal health supplements.

-joe
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:30:45 PM by JoeP450 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »
Another positive is it ripens in the Winter

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »
Another positive is it ripens in the Winter

This is their biggest advantage to me, a nice change up from regular persimmons and there is not a lot that ripens in winter

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 10:33:15 PM »
Since it's in the persimmon family, I'd say you'd be much better off with a persimmon tree.  Most people really like persimmons.
John

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
Being that you say you're short on space I believe black sapote is dioecious (still trying to find a definitive answer on this). Something to keep in mind.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 11:37:55 PM »
I grew a black sapote from seedling and it fruited on its own in a few years, definitely does not need another tree to set fruit.  I like it a lot but I could see why people might not like it as the flavor is mild and the ripe black fruit is off-putting to some.  It tastes nothing like normal persimmon, they aren't really comparable in my opinion.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 11:44:55 PM »
I grew a black sapote from seedling and it fruited on its own in a few years, definitely does not need another tree to set fruit.  I like it a lot but I could see why people might not like it as the flavor is mild and the ripe black fruit is off-putting to some.  It tastes nothing like normal persimmon, they aren't really comparable in my opinion.

Thats good to know. My tree set one fruit that never amounted to anything otherwise flowers profusely and drops all of them.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 11:50:34 PM »
Certainly possible another tree improves fruit set, I got five fruits on its first year out of maybe thirty flowers

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 11:53:23 PM »
I have a seedling black sapote that fruits prolifically on its own.  I’m fact, I have a crop that is ripening right now while flowering for the next round.  They are mildly sweet which I really like. I’m not turned off by the texture or appearance even though others that tasted in the family show disgust face.
If you have a small space, probably better to focus on other superior fruit options. If you have the room, it is a beautiful tree with evergreen glossy leaves.  Definitely try a good cultivar before investing in this tree based on overall feedback on its taste and texture.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 08:00:27 AM »
I have two different seedling trees.
One fruited on its own at 3 years old. The other tree hadn't flowered yet.
The second tree started flowering and hasn't set fruit for several years
meanwhile the first tree produces fine. Both trees were hit hard this past
Winter freeze. All the branches died on both trees. Both have put out tons of new
growth and will be fine. Neither will flower this year though.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
achetadomestica, did you provide any freeze protection to your seedlings? I had a small seedling that was swaddled in frost cloth that ultimately succumbed to the cold.

To the op-- try the fruit. I like them well enough to dedicate space to try and produce them here. Your taste may vary.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 08:34:20 AM »
It may take a while to get fruiting well. Some of it may be flowering timing. Mine began flowering in year 3 but was early, within the dry season, so they failed to set. Then last year began in June but again we were way drier than usual. This year they are flowering well in June with normal rain so things are looking good. So, like many fruits give them some time. The better ones seem to be hermaphrodite.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 08:56:32 AM »
I am just east of Orlando near Christmas, they are not hardy enough to survive even one of our mild Winters, let alone a nasty one like this past year's. At least mine didnt. I think Lychee are a better option for 9B with limited space.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 10:33:21 AM »
It's a hard decision for sure, I'm struggling with the same thing.  Sure there are better tropical fruits in my opinion, and it's large tree, but this tree produces in winter where there isn't much fruit around otherwise.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »
I didn't think that they were similar in taste.  I just thought if he's short on space and hadn't planted persimmon, it would be better to go with persimmon, a really outstanding fruit, UNLESS he doesn't like super-sweet fruit.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
Not sure about your climate, but would be considering jujube, mulberry, annonas, jabos, persimmon, cados, and garcinias (lemon drop, etc.) over black sapote, for winter fruits within limited space.

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 12:15:21 PM »
Some of you brought up a good point. I assumed it was cold tolerant for Central Florida. Is it?  I already grow sapodilla, mango and lychee plus a couple of jackfruit. The jackfruit was the only thing really damaged that bad in our last 24 degree cold spell. Will black sapote take some cold?  I know I can google it, but nothing bests personal experience.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
Neighbor had a big tree with lots of fruit, no one liked it but him so he cut it down. Try it before you get a tree.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 05:58:23 PM »
 If I had limited space, I would probably not grow black sapote. While it looks amazing, I find the fruit to be relatively bland. Having said that, I had black sapote with cacao in a smoothie last night and it was quite good. One looks like chocolate, the other is used to make chocolate so I figure they are a perfect match :). Guess another question is, how available is the fruit in your area? Where I live, black sapote is relatively common and is fairly cheap. For this reason, I'm not super keen to plant one but I still might.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 07:03:24 PM »
Black Sapote is about as hardy as jackfruit in my experience. I only know of 1 tree that consistently bears here in 9b. It has a special microclimate between 2 buildings in the warmest part of town.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 10:56:57 AM »
What's black sapote taste like to me. It tastes like a dried asian persimmon with the texture of a well cooked moist variety sweet potato. It has a prune/molasses flavor. I would bet that black sapote bread made with the same spices as ginger bread would be delicious.

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2022, 11:09:21 PM »
Thanks VERY much for all of your help. You saved me from making a bad decision.