Author Topic: woodchips for heat  (Read 744 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
woodchips for heat
« on: October 03, 2022, 08:25:21 PM »
Has anyone used the heat from a pile of woodchips to keep their citrus warm in the winter?

Unicycle Mike

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: woodchips for heat
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 01:19:19 AM »
I think you would be better with a compost pile, like a pile of organic matter that is not actual wood based. Wood and bark in my experience brake down a lot slower than say leaves  and other greens. If you could get a halfway aged manure from somewhere and make a pile of it,  this would provide the most heat. Ive seen manure piles literally steaming in subzero days , ive also heard that they sometimes produce such temps that they self ignite, dunno if its true thought, i see it as a possibility in a hot summer day perhaps ...

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 02:52:44 AM »
I have also heard of having compost piles in greenhouses for the added CO2.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »
My gas water heater vents into my greenhouse for heat and CO2.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 01:59:54 PM »
I think you would be better with a compost pile, like a pile of organic matter that is not actual wood based. Wood and bark in my experience brake down a lot slower than say leaves  and other greens. If you could get a halfway aged manure from somewhere and make a pile of it,  this would provide the most heat. Ive seen manure piles literally steaming in subzero days , ive also heard that they sometimes produce such temps that they self ignite, dunno if its true thought, i see it as a possibility in a hot summer day perhaps ...

Compost piles definitely have the ability to self combust in the right conditions. A wood chip compost pile would likely be able to get to high temperatures assuming there is a nitrogen source of some sort. Wood chips should break down fast enough especially in a hot pile.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »
I did not khew that Co2 was a goal in a greenhouse setting, all i know is that it can be dangerous for people, how does one find the balance ?
Also what is the actual gain from the Co2 in a greenhouse, i know it is the plants oxygen so a compost pile teoretically privides Co2 in a closed environment, thus stimulating growth ?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 02:43:39 PM »
To the op, if your citrus are inground and still small, you could make each one a greenhouse with nylon, with the compost pile being inside. This way you will probably benefit  the most from the provided warmth from it. This may need some ventilation from time to time, also in sunny days if the nylon greenhouses are in direct sun.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 03:28:37 PM »
A compost pile inside a greenhouse could generate a lot of fungal spores, at certain stages or if the conditions are not right.
Might be better to do a chamber method where the heat is transferred in but the composting is kept separated.
"Organic" composting involves mixing ratios of plant waste ingredients to get the correct Nitrogen balance.
Plain wood waste like sawdust or wood chips can be composted with Urea as the N source, and a few other additions to assist the microbes.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 06:33:28 PM »
Personally, I would purchase a heating unit.