Author Topic: CLM & Citrus Canker  (Read 1101 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
CLM & Citrus Canker
« on: June 19, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
An agriculture study that showed five times more canker lesions in young trees without CLM control than in trees with CLM control. In a mature grapefruit and lemons surveyed in July and August had an average of 79% of leaves with canker lesions directly associated with CLM damage.
To minimize the potential for fruit and foliage infection, pesticide applications need to be timed to significantly reduce CLM populations during the summer and early fall, Oswalt writes. “The primary window of opportunity to control CLM is 13 days after bud break of a new flush to 31 days after this bud break. Experience shows that this is much easier to do for the spring flush but becomes increasingly difficult as seasonal flushes continue through the growing season (summer and fall).  Taken from, UFIFAS

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: CLM & Citrus Canker
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 11:19:53 PM »
How is everyone doing with CLM?  I just start to see CLMs on a few of new flushs. 

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 10:20:21 AM »
What can be used to control CLM? In FL Neem and other oils are a No-Go since we tend to hit 85 in early spring and doesnt cool down until late November.

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 12:06:25 PM »
I have noticed no CLM so far this year. Normally they are a plague. We experienced a deep freeze to around 10 F this winter, maybe the local population has been eliminated.  But I was more consistent with spinosad and neem sprays this summer which work very well together than in the past. Its possible that spinosad would work almost as well on its own if you are concerned about oil burn.  If you have fire ants, spinosad works really well and also on stink bugs on vegetables. Its a great organic pesticide.  But you have to watch the way it has been stored. It can degrade so  look for a reputable supplier. I have bought from Amazon and was disappointed.  This year, I got it from seven springs and am pleased. I also really like neem oil and I use it all the long hot summer. I spray my trees with neem after 6 pm and never get sun burn from the oil.  The trees will look bright and shiny the next day.
By the way, avoid oil, if you used copper or sulfur on the trees within the last month, I haven't made this mistake with citrus, but I have nearly kill peaches this way.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 01:29:08 PM »
I have noticed no CLM so far this year. Normally they are a plague. We experienced a deep freeze to around 10 F this winter, maybe the local population has been eliminated.  But I was more consistent with spinosad and neem sprays this summer which work very well together than in the past. Its possible that spinosad would work almost as well on its own if you are concerned about oil burn.  If you have fire ants, spinosad works really well and also on stink bugs on vegetables. Its a great organic pesticide.  But you have to watch the way it has been stored. It can degrade so  look for a reputable supplier. I have bought from Amazon and was disappointed.  This year, I got it from seven springs and am pleased. I also really like neem oil and I use it all the long hot summer. I spray my trees with neem after 6 pm and never get sun burn from the oil.  The trees will look bright and shiny the next day.
By the way, avoid oil, if you used copper or sulfur on the trees within the last month, I haven't made this mistake with citrus, but I have nearly kill peaches this way.
Very helpful info.  I didnt do much for the spring flush which was ok.  For the summer, I didnt get much new flushes, so I just spot spray which worked most time.

Visceral

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 07:58:46 PM »
What can be used to control CLM? In FL Neem and other oils are a No-Go since we tend to hit 85 in early spring and doesnt cool down until late November.

Imidacloprid