Author Topic: 4 year old Kumquats, finally done in(?) Not sure what to do  (Read 542 times)

jeffjot

• Central Illinois
    • View Profile
4 year old Kumquats, finally done in(?) Not sure what to do
« on: December 26, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
In Central Illinois.  Sadly these Kumquat trees I've had about 5 years now, they both had a crop of fruit (they ripen extremely slowly here, hence it was December and they still weren't ready).

We've been having freakishly warm winters the past years, and so this year I've left these outside straight up until four days ago as the temperatures have barely got below freezing.   They have done fine.
On the few days its gotten colder, I've moved them into a semi-insulated 1 car garage with a heater.
Well then the temperature suddenly plummeted to -6 below one night.  Its a pretty big ordeal getting them inside and lugging them down the stairs to the basement window where their traditional wintering spot is, with overhead plant lights.   So tired that night, I only drug them inside the garage that night.

What was my surprise to find even inside the heated garage, it got down to 13'F!   Their leaves were all kind of curled.   Not knowing when else to do, I rushed them downstairs with excited yapping dog in the way and lots of leaf drop.   They seemed to revive almost immediately.  I gave them each a large dog bowl full of water and left them in the heated basement.

Only then after doing the obligatory out of town Chrismas commute for two more days, I arrive home to this.   They look pale, the fruits have gone sickly colored and likely all have gone to rot.    Clearly transplant shock.  I know from experience these are on death's door.  It does not look good. 
Its a bit hard to tell in the photos, its more obvious.  The quats all have a grey hue, and have gone squishy.   When healthy the plants leaves are open and flat, not in this V-shape.

I don't know what to do.   The temperature is now going to be freakishly warm for another week- not even getting below freezing (see forecast.)   Should I move them back outside again, hoping to revive them in the 30'F-50'F weather they became accustomed to out there..... or leave them in the basement.   Outdoors seems better in most circumstances.
Remove all the fruit, to reduce load?
Leave them as is?
Remove dirt, maybe they're getting soil rot?
Seems my my next action will be fatal, but I don't know what that decision should be.
Anyone?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 07:41:17 PM by jeffjot »

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: 4 year old Kumquats, finally done in(?) Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 11:18:37 PM »

the trees will probably be fine with some twig die-off.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: 4 year old Kumquats, finally done in(?) Not sure what to do
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 02:06:33 AM »
I also think, the trees will recover in spring summer. If no freezes anymore outside I would put them outside paybattention to the roots not watering to often and a feew days not too much sun.