Author Topic: Mango tree trunk bleeding!  (Read 5391 times)

Herman

• View Profile
Mango tree trunk bleeding!
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »
I noticed today that the trunk of my mallika mango is bleeding/oozing sap:

Is this of concern?  I have a altaufo mango tree next to it of the same size/age and it's not oozing sap.  Is this particular to mallika? 

Thanks!

Herman

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Mango tree trunk bleeding!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
The picture is kind of blurry.  Apparently something wounded your trunk.  The sap is the trees way of healing.  I'm not sure there is anything you can really do; other than let the healing take it's course.  Probably just make sure the tree is well watered.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
can't see ish from that picture, but i have the same problem on the one mango tree that i inherited with the property.  I think it's a madame francis (although if my memory serves me correctly, some of the fruit last summer was noticeably less fibrous than others--if that's even possible).  I cut it back pretty good last summer, and it oozes orange sap from several places on the trunk, and has been oozing for 6-8 months now, though the rest of the tree seems to be thriving.  It didn't set any fruit this year but I expected half as much when I chopped it back.  I still need to chop back the other of the two main trunks. 
Is the tree sick, or does this normally occur when pruning a mango heavily?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
The picture is kind of blurry.  Apparently something wounded your trunk.  The sap is the trees way of healing.  I'm not sure there is anything you can really do; other than let the healing take it's course.  Probably just make sure the tree is well watered.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about, but I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. Just to confirm, has the tree spit pea soup at you recently or twisted itself around completely while speaking in demonic tongue?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
Is there any evidence of dieback?

Cant tell from your picture as it is a bit blurry however read my post about mature PPK mango problem.  Cant tell if its the same or similar problem however the USDA does not say its healing itself and leave it alone.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
My ndm tree's also have this, it will get over it.

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I'll try to get a better picture.
I keep it in a green house and it is highly unlikely that it was caused by anything external.  It looks like the sap is coming from an old pruning cut.

Thanks,

Herman

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
can't see ish from that picture, but i have the same problem on the one mango tree that i inherited with the property.  I think it's a madame francis (although if my memory serves me correctly, some of the fruit last summer was noticeably less fibrous than others--if that's even possible).  I cut it back pretty good last summer, and it oozes orange sap from several places on the trunk, and has been oozing for 6-8 months now, though the rest of the tree seems to be thriving.  It didn't set any fruit this year but I expected half as much when I chopped it back.  I still need to chop back the other of the two main trunks. 
Is the tree sick, or does this normally occur when pruning a mango heavily?

I pugged it about 2 years ago, and haven't pruned it since.  Right now it is full of fruitlets.

Thanks,

Herman

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Is there any evidence of dieback?

Cant tell from your picture as it is a bit blurry however read my post about mature PPK mango problem.  Cant tell if its the same or similar problem however the USDA does not say its healing itself and leave it alone.

No die back whatsoever.  Just a bunch of fruitlets.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
same here--the tree has always looked healthy, and still does despite the oozing sap.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
Hope this pic is a little clearer.  Sorry, my camera doesn't seem to handle closeups very well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk