Author Topic: tastiest Annona fruit  (Read 62998 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: tastiest Annona fruit
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »

that's a good point Tim but we are blessed with the ideal climate to grow both...

Really? Here, the only place that seems to grow a reliably decent cherimoya is the cold, dry climate near Adelaide, while Atemoya is at its best in the high rainfall volcanic soils an hour north of here. I couldn't imagine anywhere being perfect for either. Perhaps a place where both will fruit (few places here can get both to fruit reliably or at all) is imaginable, but to have both at their best? I've only had fino and white cherimoyas, which weren't up to it on local comparison. I've put in a few of everything at the farm, which is dryer and cooler than where I am, in the hope I will have decent fruit from each group in the future.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:23 AM »
Whole Foods is reliably stocking Cherimoyas. I just bought a 1 pound Cherimoya for 3.99 a pound, imported from Chile. It looks good, im curious how it compares in taste to the CA Cherimoyas.

You heard about the cat and what curiosity did to it?  Well, if the ones you are getting in Whole Foods are anything like what I have encountered in the stores previously, your curiosity will not cause your death but will likely cause the immediate termination of your curiosity. There was no comparison between these store boughts from S. America and what California has to offer.  Maybe they have upgraded since I last plunked down my hard earned cash for one of those substandard cherimoyas.  Keep us posted.  Hope for the best but expect the worst.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »
Whole Foods is reliably stocking Cherimoyas. I just bought a 1 pound Cherimoya for 3.99 a pound, imported from Chile. It looks good, im curious how it compares in taste to the CA Cherimoyas.

You heard about the cat and what curiosity did to it?  Well, if the ones you are getting in Whole Foods are anything like what I have encountered in the stores previously, your curiosity will not cause your death but will likely cause the immediate termination of your curiosity. There was no comparison between these store boughts from S. America and what California has to offer.  Maybe they have upgraded since I last plunked down my hard earned cash for one of those substandard cherimoyas.  Keep us posted.  Hope for the best but expect the worst.

I got those Chileans ones from Whole Foods about a month ago. I have some experience picking cherimoyas, so not like I did not know what I was doing. My curiosity definitely killed the cat. They belong in a trash bin, not on the store shelf.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »

that's a good point Tim but we are blessed with the ideal climate to grow both...

Really? Here, the only place that seems to grow a reliably decent cherimoya is the cold, dry climate near Adelaide, while Atemoya is at its best in the high rainfall volcanic soils an hour north of here. I couldn't imagine anywhere being perfect for either. Perhaps a place where both will fruit (few places here can get both to fruit reliably or at all) is imaginable, but to have both at their best? I've only had fino and white cherimoyas, which weren't up to it on local comparison. I've put in a few of everything at the farm, which is dryer and cooler than where I am, in the hope I will have decent fruit from each group in the future.

Yes, both fruit to perfection in our area. They grow side by side in commercial groves in San Diego. Reticulatas and sugar apples don't fruit well in SoCal.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
JF according to a few politicians down under the icecaps of hell are spreading all over the real world with all this global cooling.JF that is a contraversial statement that is not easy to test.I presume the good cherimoyas are orders of magnitude better than african pride and gefner atemoyas where they all occur together and can be easily compared.

Lol send us budwood of those synthetic atemoyas and we'll find out which one will reign

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
In my place (dry/hot subtropical climate) chirimoya and atemoya perform very good! The only annonacea that does not well in my orchad is A. conica (Raimondia). If I get some aussi budwood in my hands I could try chirimoya and atemoya fruits side by side  ::)

Mike, a store chirimoya is not representative. I don't buy them in the supermarkets any more, since I have had very bad experiences. A homegrown chirimoya is like heaven..

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Felipe anon over El Bumpo :P

Fino is always in the top 10 in our taste test but you have to try Pierce,Booth Nata, Knight, Ott, Big Sister, Sabor and others that slip my mind to appreciate the complexity of the great cherimoyas.

Mr Minh, African Pride and Lisa, in my opininon, are better tasting than Geffner.

Amigo, as far as I remember, the only atemoya cultivar I have tasted is Geffner, which I'm currently growing. It is pretty nice IMO, in the same league as good chirimoyas.

I have a small Lisa, but is has not fruited yet. I'm dreaming of Minh since the first time you posted it  ;D

Concerning those SoCal cultivars, I have still have to try them...  ;)

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
In my place (dry/hot subtropical climate) chirimoya and atemoya perform very good! The only annonacea that does not well in my orchad is A. conica (Raimondia). If I get some aussi budwood in my hands I could try chirimoya and atemoya fruits side by side  ::)

Mike, a store chirimoya is not representative. I don't buy them in the supermarkets any more, since I have had very bad experiences. A homegrown chirimoya is like heaven..

Felipe, have you gotten R. Conica to fruit? I have been searching for seeds for sone time, but the only source I could find is Equador, and since R. Conica is endangered it would be illegal to import. If you ever get seeds, I would be interested to buy.

I had two storebought cherimoyas July last year, and enjoyed them enough that it sparked my interest in tropical fruit. My young seedling from one of the fruit is more than a foot tall, and I hope that I will taste homegrown fruit within the next few years. My question is this: would I need to wait longer for maturity if I graft the plant with superior variety?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
My large fruiting gefner and african pride both got the axe recently after I ate hillary white and paxton prolific from friend's trees.They are yesterdays atemoyas as far as I am concerned and any 'happenin dude' on the atemoya scene doesn't want to be saddled with them.I'll check what cherimoya are getting around in Australia right now in a nursery or two.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/search.php?q=cherimoya&SType=

Only trash cherimoya available here as you can see with daleys nursery.No wonder they have been so comprehensively muscled aside by the more esteemed atemoya.Friends in Victoria do grow these varieties.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

There are places here where you can fruit both cherimoya and atemoya, around 1000 ft. elevation. But what is ideal climate for one is NOT going to be the ideal climate for another one. Here atemoyas are best at close to sea level, and cherimoyas best at 2000 feet or higher elevation. Just because you can fruit them doesn't mean it's going to be the best climate for either, namely a climate where they can be commercially produced. But certainly ok for backyard growers.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/search.php?q=cherimoya&SType=

Only trash cherimoya available here as you can see with daleys nursery.No wonder they have been so comprehensively muscled aside by the more esteemed atemoya.Friends in Victoria do grow these varieties.

There are quite a few more in southern collections. Birdwood had a big collection, but they. Prefer dryer conditions than they have there and a disease nearly wiped out their whole grove. I got to see their remaining trees and they don't look very well at all. They had most of the top varieities available in or prior to the 90s.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
Cherimoya is the tastiest I've had, it beats all atemoyas, sugar apples, custard apples and the soncoyas. I still haven't tried the biribia. Here is the "Selma" I was working on this morning at work. I have 3 left on my tree and they are ripening perfect. They have a berry overtone to them. I've tried pretty much all other cherimoya varieties, Nata, Fino, and a few others are up there also.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Felipe anon over El Bumpo :P

Fino is always in the top 10 in our taste test but you have to try Pierce,Booth Nata, Knight, Ott, Big Sister, Sabor and others that slip my mind to appreciate the complexity of the great cherimoyas.

Mr Minh, African Pride and Lisa, in my opininon, are better tasting than Geffner.

Amigo, as far as I remember, the only atemoya cultivar I have tasted is Geffner, which I'm currently growing. It is pretty nice IMO, in the same league as good chirimoyas.

I have a small Lisa, but is has not fruited yet. I'm dreaming of Minh since the first time you posted it  ;D

Concerning those SoCal cultivars, I have still have to try them...  ;)

Hermano islegno, con todo respeto y carigno, cherimoyas reign in SoCal there is not one atemoya that comes close. I wish you had the opportunity to try some of the top tier cherimoyas in the region....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Cherimoya is the tastiest I've had, it beats all atemoyas, sugar apples, custard apples and the soncoyas. I still haven't tried the biribia. Here is the "Selma" I was working on this morning at work. I have 3 left on my tree and they are ripening perfect. They have a berry overtone to them. I've tried pretty much all other cherimoya varieties, Nata, Fino, and a few others are up there also.

I agree Mark. Your Selma look delicious! I'm going to have to regraft this variety I didn't like it the first time I had it.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
Mark - did you hand pollinate your Selma tree?  does Selma seem like a low production tree if left to do it's thing?
Tim

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
Mark - did you hand pollinate your Selma tree?  does Selma seem like a low production tree if left to do it's thing?
Tim, yes I hand pollinated it, the fruits are decent size, however very few flowers. Maybe I'll bump up the phosphorus next season.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2013, 11:15:20 PM »

Most cherimoyas may prefer dry climate, but here McPherson does pretty well in our super rainy 150 inches (3810 mm per year) climate. So that may be a matter of proper cultivar selection. They will also set fine at 2000 ft. where it rarely gets much below 50F (10C).
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
There are some on the Atherton Tableland at 3000 ft and 100inches of rain and these are the poor quality cherimoya I have tried.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
There are some on the Atherton Tableland at 3000 ft and 100inches of rain and these are the poor quality cherimoya I have tried.

Mike, really funny how you think mangosteens and durians could be grown in Florida, but you don't think good cherimoyas can be grown on the whole of giant sized Australia?!?!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:58 PM »
It is more about interpersonal decorum Oscar, than a botanical thing.The emphasis is on good and I would not want to question whether the good really exists (directly) when so many say they do.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »
It is more about interpersonal decorum Oscar, than a botanical thing.The emphasis is on good and I would not want to question whether the good really exists (directly) when so many say they do.

You'll have to take my word for it in the meantime. Heavenly cherimoyas really do exist. You're at the moment just like folks that have never tasted heavenly durians. You guys in Australia are severely cherimoya deprived.  Babes in the woods. ;) As much as folks in Florida and California that eat frozen durians and say they're no good, what's all the big deal about?  ;)
Oscar

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

Most cherimoyas may prefer dry climate, but here McPherson does pretty well in our super rainy 150 inches (3810 mm per year) climate. So that may be a matter of proper cultivar selection. They will also set fine at 2000 ft. where it rarely gets much below 50F (10C).

Oscar,

How does the McPhearson taste? growth etc.?

Mark

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »

Oscar,

How does the McPhearson taste? growth etc.?

Mark

McPhearson tastes pretty nice. Can't really compare it with other cultivars as it's about the only one grown here. The tree is medium sized and fairly productive.
Oscar

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

Mark, what does Selma taste like? How would you compare it to the others? I'm really intrigued by it for quite sometime and would love to learn more about it. Any chance you have a picture of what the fruit looks like? It's green on the outside right?
Thanks  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk