Author Topic: Achacha in California?  (Read 11972 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha in California?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2023, 02:40:42 AM »
Theres some kind of plant that is almost the same as achacha called lucs garcinia.  Its named after a guy in mexico called luc who was on this site.  You can search for lucs garcinia here and find more info.  I am not that informed on the difference but I have both types and the Lucs seems to be less affected by the cold weather.

Heres a link

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25182.0
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2023, 08:54:48 AM »
Is there a way to tell the lucs vs achacha seedlings apart?  I errr I mean a friend of mine mixed them up :-[

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
Achachairu leaves are long and slender, Lucs nots so much.

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2023, 02:02:04 PM »
I’ve left small Garcinia seedlings outside this winter in Napa, 9b. I have managed to kill most of them this way. So far Lemon Drop seems to be the most hardy. Maybe a Luc’s will pull through. But Achacha, Superior Lemin Drop, and Seashore mangosteen look like they aren’t going to make it. I NEED to grow Achacha so I’m starting more seeds and will take better protection measures for a few years but if they can’t ultimately survive outside then I’ll give it up.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2023, 02:20:01 PM »
I’ve left small Garcinia seedlings outside this winter in Napa, 9b. I have managed to kill most of them this way. So far Lemon Drop seems to be the most hardy. Maybe a Luc’s will pull through. But Achacha, Superior Lemin Drop, and Seashore mangosteen look like they aren’t going to make it. I NEED to grow Achacha so I’m starting more seeds and will take better protection measures for a few years but if they can’t ultimately survive outside then I’ll give it up.

I tried all number of garcinia even in my greenhouse, and no go. I gave up. If I were in 10A I would plant by a house and forget about it for a decade... But 9b outdoors, fuhgettaboutit.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2023, 02:38:25 PM »
hey strom here’s a side by side, Achacha left luc’s right

instagram @trumansacco

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »
Anecdotal but I had a small Achacha probably about 9 inches outdoors and it looks like it didn't make it here in 10B.  Probably a combo of the cold/rain/windy winter we have had (for Southern California standards anyways) and its young age.  I did tuck it away indoor about halfway through winter but probably too little too late.  Garcinia Madruno on the other hand basically went through the same conditions and is perfectly fine.  I may try getting an Achacha again, but seems like a lot of time and work babying it here in infancy to get it going.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2023, 07:18:42 PM »
I have a couple Achachas that were approximately 4 ft high, nicely branched, doing well in an unheated greenhouse. I slowly introduced them to outdoor shade then full sun over a spring and summer. The new leaves would get trashed whenever there was a windy day under outdoor shade but would grow ok. Once exposed to full sun, the tree would get burnt to hell and new leaves would not fully develop.  Over the following winter, lots of dieback exposed to the elements.  I dug them up and potted them back in the greenhouse to recover and are doing fine.
You can grow them here, but they need a lot of protection from the elements, particularly if you live more inland.  Most seedling Garcinias that I have acquired do just fine in pots in a greenhouse, even with regular mid-high 30F nights. Space will eventually be the concern. Eventually will be a long time based on their slow growth. 

SDPirate

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2023, 08:44:08 PM »
Yeah I could see the cold wind being a factor with the death of mine.  I may try again at a later point. I'm just glad the Madrunomade it or I would be Garcinia-less.  The Frankies Garcinia and Garcinia Macrophylla will be my next winter experiment (that hopefully doesn't die  :)).

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2023, 11:46:27 PM »
I have 5 achachas. 1 in the ground & 4 on the pots. I leave them outdoors unprotected and take my weather like a champ. I had em for 3 yrs now i think & have 8 lucs.

Zip code 91307

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 01:47:45 PM »
My Achachairu does fine here in Long Beach.  It has been in the ground for 2-3 years.  It is about 5 feet tall.  It doesn't mind our cold wet winters at all.  In summer it does get mostly shade.  So it is growing slow.  Before it was in the ground it got half sun during summer and did fine.  Actually none of my Garcinias have seemed to mind winter here.  Even small seedlings.

Bill

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2023, 01:41:58 AM »
Anyone want to post some photos of your trees? Would be great to see some planted trees…shape, size,etc.
sounds like they grow slowly for us here in SoCal

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2023, 02:30:26 PM »

Lucs on the left and achqcha on the right

I dont protect these on the summer & winter tho they are close to the wall.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 01:49:57 AM »
Very nice. I’m really curious about growing this one.  Thanks for posting

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2023, 03:59:57 PM »
I have an achacha in a 3gallon pot that’s been outside unprotected since last year. So it will be coming up on its second winter outside. I noticed it was pushing new growth and wanted to see if others have trees that are doing the same thing in SoCal?

SDPirate

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2023, 06:11:43 PM »
I don't have achacha but I have a Madruno pushing still and de Bico.  Waiting on my Lucs Jumbo to get second set of leaves.  Still new to Garcinias but they seem to push all the time (slowly) except for winter.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2023, 06:14:33 PM »
I ended up grabbing an achacha from Gozp, I couldn't resist, and another smaller one from Champa later that day. I also got some nice Luc's grafted to lemon drop from FFF. I just love gambling, I guess, so I'll see if I have more luck this time around.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2023, 04:28:36 PM »
I have a couple Achachas that were approximately 4 ft high, nicely branched, doing well in an unheated greenhouse. I slowly introduced them to outdoor shade then full sun over a spring and summer. The new leaves would get trashed whenever there was a windy day under outdoor shade but would grow ok. Once exposed to full sun, the tree would get burnt to hell and new leaves would not fully develop.  Over the following winter, lots of dieback exposed to the elements.  I dug them up and potted them back in the greenhouse to recover and are doing fine.
You can grow them here, but they need a lot of protection from the elements, particularly if you live more inland.  Most seedling Garcinias that I have acquired do just fine in pots in a greenhouse, even with regular mid-high 30F nights. Space will eventually be the concern. Eventually will be a long time based on their slow growth.

Here’s my Achachas pushing all kinds of new growth. Had to tie their heads to the ceiling due to too heavy weight.  Both in 15 gallon pots and loving the desert heat of my greenhouse. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2023, 05:24:37 PM »
Dang, those are looking great!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »
SHV, your plants look great.  How old are they?

Janet

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2023, 06:01:11 PM »
I’m guessing they are 5-6 years old. I purchased them from Hawaiian Tropicals a couple years back and they were already 3 feet tall.  Planted outside for a year, all kinds of dieback, dug them up, repotted, and placed in the greenhouse.  Maybe one day, I will put them back outside, but I doubt it.  They are much happier under shelter, particularly through the winter.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
Nice, that'll be exciting once they start to fruit.  Are you also growing Luc's?

I'm going to plant a couple of both in the ground at home, it doesn't get as cold here as in Fallbrook. 

Janet

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2023, 06:41:57 PM »
Growing Luc's and a number of other Garcinia's, all in the greenhouse except Imbe.  That is the only one that has demonstrated any kind of resilience to hard winters and summers and consistently puts out new growth, albeit slowly. Russell's, brasiliensis/intermedia, and humulis are the only ones that seem to not be affected by the cold winters and hot summers of my region while grown under protection.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 07:33:30 PM »
Growing Luc's and a number of other Garcinia's, all in the greenhouse except Imbe.  That is the only one that has demonstrated any kind of resilience to hard winters and summers and consistently puts out new growth, albeit slowly. Russell's, brasiliensis/intermedia, and humulis are the only ones that seem to not be affected by the cold winters and hot summers of my region while grown under protection.

What are your winter lows? I have a garden client who wants me to install one at his house, he's 10a. It would get very few hours of shade, under a coral tree by a fence.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
SHV's photo gives me hope for my garcinias. If there was the saluting emoji on here, I would post it.