Author Topic: Cherimoya taste-testing  (Read 42135 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Free cherimoya tasting event in Irvine, CA on Friday Jan 24, 2014
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
JF and Ashok have gotten me really interested in cherimoyas after the CRFG scion exchange last week in Costa Mesa. 

There is a FREE Cheirmoya tasting event this Friday Jan 24, 2014 from 10am-12noon at
the UC ANR South Coast Research and Extension Center in Irvine, CA

http://ucanr.edu/sites/screc/?calitem=225918&g=17432

Warren

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Free cherimoya tasting event in Irvine, CA on Friday Jan 24, 2014
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »
I'll be there. There's usually good turnout of forum members.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2014, 12:07:39 AM »
Thanks, Warren, for the heads up.

Fyliu, if I remember correctly, you have Minh's atemoya right? May I have a few scions when you come to the tasting, please?

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »
I'm coming too!!!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:23 AM »
I'll be there too. If only there was a way to identify all the forum members so we can meet each other face to face.

On a side note, does anyone know of any good Chinese seafood restaurants in the area of where this event is taking place? I'm not familiar with the area.

I just paid my dues for the CRFG, I have not joined a chapter yet though.i will probably be joining the San Diego chapter and hope to see some of you in future meetings!
Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
I'll bring some Minh scions but they're on the thin side and were cut last weekend. I would wait to get some from JF if you're going to see him later.

I'll be the guy with the red dslr or with a cow-patterned camera phone.

Simon, you might even see if north county in Mira Costa College has some interesting talks. They had great speakers in 2012 when Diego was vice chair. He was interested in all sorts of things and found people to speak on those topics.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the information Fang. The reason I'm considering joining the San Diego chapter is because I have to work Friday nights so I won't be able to make it to the North San Diego meetings. I'm very interested in Lychees, Cherimoyas, Mangoes, Dragonfruit, Jaboticabas and many more rare and potentially tasty fruits like Lukes Garcinia and Achachairu so perhaps I can stir up conversation at the meetings regarding these fruits and others.
Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
Some pics from the event:  A good-sized crowd attended the event.
I liked 2 of the samples (#1 and #19) that were both sweet and tart with both pineapple and banana flavors.

Line to get in:

Display Table:

1 of 3 tables with 19 cherimoya varieties to sample:

Not to hijack the thread....but I met the Director of Nursery Operations from LaVerne Nursery at the Irvine cherimoya tasting event and had a good discussion on mangos with him.  LaVerne will soon carry Alphonso.  He asked me to forward a list of mangos that SoCaler's like...and we also talked about the LaVerne high grafts!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:53:43 PM by wslau »
Warren

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
I missed you at the tasting, Warren.  It looked like you did some networking there, Warren. Good for you. It was nice to have met Fang, JF, Max, Behl and Simon. I didn't expect such a crowd. There were people still coming when I left at 11am. I had a great time.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »
Great event, I'm curious what where the favorites of every one? I was partial to number 4,5, 8, and the one with a red tinge. What about everyone else? Anyone know what the names of those varieties were? It was kind of strange that it was all a blind tasting. It is always cool seeing people and networking too.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya taste-testing
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
2014 cherimoya taste-testing. My top 3 picks #2, #4 and #19. Pics of some of the fruits.

And last Ashok holding a giant El Bumpo

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
Loot!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
Wow Joe, you must hate El Bumpo!!!
Tim

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Steven,

I'd have to say my favorites were 2, 8, and the red tinged variety, which I believe was Selma. Definitely an improvement over last year, when weather conditions greatly reduced the amount of fruit and many were underripe on the day of the tasting. My favorites in the past have been Deliciosa, Sabor and El Bumpo. Looking forward to seeing today's results posted online.
James

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »
Wow Joe, you must hate El Bumpo!!!

I absolutely despise it Tim  :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
It was great meeting some of the forum members and some old friends at the cherimoya tasting event. I have to say that each fruit that was cut up tasted different even though they were the exact same variety!

I ate #1 and thought it had great texture and acidity but wished that it was just a tad bit firmer and one of the helpers happened to restock #1 and this next fruit had the same great acidity but was even firmer than the original. I tasted multiple fruit from several different numbers and in fact I went in line twice and tasted most varieties 2-4 times. The second time I went through each variety, there were subtle differences between the fruit, probably caused by differences in the amount of ripeness of each individual fruit.

I pointed out to JF that #16, which we presumed to be Selma because of the slightly pinkish flesh color around the skin, actually appeared to be two different varieties because half of the sample plate had pinkish fleshed fruit and the other half of the tasting plate from a different fruit(still#16) had completely white flesh with no sign of pink whatsoever. The two fruit tasted similar but the pinkish fleshed fruit definitely had more acidity. JF explained to me that they were both the same variety but the difference in color may be attributed to normal variation between fruit of the same variety.

I like the Cherimoya with more acidity and as I explained earlier, each individual variety differs in taste even from fruit to to fruit. I feel this is true more so in cherimoya than in mangoes, except for maybe Mallika, Carrie and Glenn. Baby's crying

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
My favorites were #5 and #2. My least favorite was #14.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
Hmm... Baby's Crying? Never heard of that mango  ;)

I'm sorry I didn't run into you,  Simon. I would have loved to talk lychees with you. Maybe next time.
James

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
Did you see how big that fino de jete got! I need to trim around my fino de jete branch and encourage more fruits.

Mine's #8. #6 and the pink one were really good too. #8 just activated more taste buds than others. That first table had a lot of gritty fruits.

Previously I thought sabor and honeyhart were very good. They're older cultivars.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
JF, the #4 that I tried was not very good, it was under ripe and was a bit chewy, not sweet, and had no acidity. I bet you had a properly ripened fruit andine was a day or two under ripe.

I love Cherimoyas with a lot of acidity. Some of the moyas were just pure sweet with little to no acidity and I did not like these at all. There were so many different varieties and they taste so different. Some had a strong bannana flavor but this one lacked acidity, some had a strong vanilla flavor and others had excellent Cherimoya acidity.

Selma had great acidity , probably the second or third most acidic. By acidic, I don't mean that it is sour like a lemon, it is sour but what I mean is that it is very mildly sour/acidic in a good sense. Selma or #16 which I presume to be Selma was the only fruit that had a very very mild berry undertone in its acidity. This may be from the placebo effect because I did see the fruit was slightly pink but it may also be because whatever gives this fruit it's color also gives it the berry flavor, very much like how there is some berry undertones in red/magenta/purple Dragonfruit.

Very odd to me is that I did not taste any variety that resembled El Bumpo, my all time favorite variety. To me, El Bumpo is very sweet with great acidity and a very slight undertone of cotton candy. I would have to assume that El Bumpo was in this tasting because it was the winner last year but I can't identify any of the varieties I tasted as El Bumpo. Perhaps they served an underripe one?

There was one horrible variety, I believe it was #14, that to me tasted like Raid insecticide. It was absolutely horrible!

My favorites from today's tasting is 1, 10, 16, 19, 8, 2, 12, 19. #1 had the most acidity and was very sweet with an excellent sugar acid balance and great texture. All of these ones I listed are the varieties that my palate detected as having the most acidity.

Remember these these rankings are based on taste and texture alone. The fruit were pre cut so we don't really know what they look like on the outside and we didn't know about there size. I'm glad we didn't know what variety they were when we taste tested them but I do wish that there was another room with the same samples but with their names so we can find the varieties we plan on purchasing and really sitting down and cleanse our palates to get a better flavor profile put a flavor profile to each named variety.

In all honesty, there were crackers and water available but with the long lines, I felt bad making others wait for me so I went through all varieties sequentially without cleansing my palate. I did go back to certain numbers a few times to make sure that the variety was truely acidic or tasted like what I thought it tasted like and not because the previous fruit masked this ones flavor.

I'm guessing one of my top picks is Dr white or Booth, both of which were among my tops in previous years. does anyone know what number El Bumpo was? Also, when will we know what the results are?
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
Here are some pictures:

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
JF, the #4 that I tried was not very good, it was under ripe and was a bit chewy, not sweet, and had no acidity. I bet you had a properly ripened fruit andine was a day or two under ripe.

I love Cherimoyas with a lot of acidity. Some of the moyas were just pure sweet with little to no acidity and I did not like these at all. There were so many different varieties and they taste so different. Some had a strong bannana flavor but this one lacked acidity, some had a strong vanilla flavor and others had excellent Cherimoya acidity.

Selma had great acidity , probably the second or third most acidic. By acidic, I don't mean that it is sour like a lemon, it is sour but what I mean is that it is very mildly sour/acidic in a good sense. Selma or #16 which I presume to be Selma was the only fruit that had a very very mild berry undertone in its acidity. This may be from the placebo effect because I did see the fruit was slightly pink but it may also be because whatever gives this fruit it's color also gives it the berry flavor, very much like how there is some berry undertones in red/magenta/purple Dragonfruit.

Very odd to me is that I did not taste any variety that resembled El Bumpo, my all time favorite variety. To me, El Bumpo is very sweet with great acidity and a very slight undertone of cotton candy. I would have to assume that El Bumpo was in this tasting because it was the winner last year but I can't identify any of the varieties I tasted as El Bumpo. Perhaps they served an underripe one?

There was one horrible variety, I believe it was #14, that to me tasted like Raid insecticide. It was absolutely horrible!

My favorites from today's tasting is 1, 10, 16, 19, 8, 2, 12, 19. #1 had the most acidity and was very sweet with an excellent sugar acid balance and great texture. All of these ones I listed are the varieties that my palate detected as having the most acidity.

Remember these these rankings are based on taste and texture alone. The fruit were pre cut so we don't really know what they look like on the outside and we didn't know about there size. I'm glad we didn't know what variety they were when we taste tested them but I do wish that there was another room with the same samples but with their names so we can find the varieties we plan on purchasing and really sitting down and cleanse our palates to get a better flavor profile put a flavor profile to each named variety.

In all honesty, there were crackers and water available but with the long lines, I felt bad making others wait for me so I went through all varieties sequentially without cleansing my palate. I did go back to certain numbers a few times to make sure that the variety was truely acidic or tasted like what I thought it tasted like and not because the previous fruit masked this ones flavor.

I'm guessing one of my top picks is Dr white or Booth, both of which were among my tops in previous years. does anyone know what number El Bumpo was? Also, when will we know what the results are?
Simon

Simon good to see you again! I saw some of the labels for the cherimoyas in the back room were we pick up our fruits.  #4and#5 were chaffey and deliciousa I couldn't see any others. I'm quite sure you had a firmer Selma. The ones I had were mushy and watery. There were some cherimoyas that were overripe did you notice?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
Sounds like a nice time up there. I believe the "Salmon" is supposed to have a slight pinkish tinge, but not as pronounced as the "Selma". Did anyone remember what the "Salmon" tasted like?

My all time favorites are White, Selma and a seedling Lucida my friend has growing.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
I just found out that my first choice was Lucida. Are we allowed to post the list here?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
I just found out that my first choice was Lucida. Are we allowed to post the list here?

Post away we are dying to know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk