Author Topic: Comparison of Red Jackfruits  (Read 32387 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison of Red Jackfruits
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
This is a 24 pound fruit from a red morning seedling.   Cleaned was 8.5 - 9 pounds of edible flesh.  Ta ste was outstanding and reiterates why I say that a good red fleshed jackfruit is better than a yellow fleshed.

When did u partake of this? Thanks for the heads up!  ::)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
I picked up a little 3G Excalibur Red this week!

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Problem is you have no reputation,  have no idea what you are talking about and nobody would probably even care whst you do or say anyway.  You continual dribble thst speed from your keyboard proves it.

You apparently cared enough to feel the need to personally insult me.

you baited it with the commentary specific to Rob and the nursery he represents. Stop acting like a child if you want people to stop treating you like one.
- Colin

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
why are you so butthurt about Excalibur?

Excalibur is the largest retail fruit tree nursery in the area; I see that Excalibur has the potential to be a much better nursery than it is.  I have heard a lot of horror stories about Excalibur, but most people requested that I not repeat them. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »

Excalibur is the largest retail fruit tree nursery in the area; I see that Excalibur has the potential to be a much better nursery than it is.  I have heard a lot of horror stories about Excalibur, but most people requested that I not repeat them.
Once again propaganda...your sources? Horror stories about fruit trees? What did they do, come alive and eat people? We're lucky to have rare fruit nurseries to begin with! You are targeting a nursery to hurt it! Not only the nursery but the employees who bust their ass everyday in the hot sun while you sit back and make sly comments! But you have been growing fruit trees for about a year plus you keep throwing out Richard Campbell's like you all are best friends! Sheesh, give it a break! And, we don't need a list of every tree your growing every time you post. Please get over it or get off the forum, you bring nothing to it.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
Based on the selection process:  Chris Rollins (head of the Fruit and Spice Park) went overseas, tried a bunch of different jacks, and brought over the best jack he found.  Excalibur's owner planted a seedling and then declared the seedling was the best he ever had.  I would go with the Borneo Red.  I have a Borneo Red planted in ground; no fruit yet though.

I have four Jack seedlings planted:  NS1, Golden Pillow, Then Varida, an unknown variety (Mai 1 cross with something).  In a few years I will declare "Mr. Clean's Gold / Red Jackfruit" best I ever had.  I also have grafted Borneo Red, Mai 2, J-31 and Bangkok Lemon.

The owner of Excalibur did not just plant a random seedling and declare it the best. He's traveled all over Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and other Southeast Asian countries and has tried many different jackfruit and other tropical fruit. He got his red morning seeds from fruit he tried over seas that was a quality fruit with red flesh. That's the same way he got the seeds for his Bangkok Lemon and many other trees he grew here. He's grown hundreds of different jackfruit seedlings to select the varieties he has named. Please try to make informed posts instead of just posting rubbish.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:06:17 PM by HMHausman »

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »

Once again propaganda...your sources? Horror stories about fruit trees? What did they do, come alive and eat people? We're lucky to have rare fruit nurseries to begin with! You are targeting a nursery to hurt it! Not only the nursery but the employees who bust their ass everyday in the hot sun while you sit back and make sly comments! But you have been growing fruit trees for about a year plus you keep throwing out Richard Campbell's like you all are best friends! Sheesh, give it a break! And, we don't need a list of every tree your growing every time you post. Please get over it or get off the forum, you bring nothing to it.

My friend was driving back from Miami and wanted to stop at a Nursery to compare against the west coast nurseries we have. I suggested Excalibur based off of its reputation and size and he said it was nearly an hour out of his way!!! For this egregious sin I think we should burn it to the ground. rabble rabble rabble.
- Colin

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »

so you slander a reputable nursery based not on your own experiences, but on "others who shall not be named"? Sounds fair. Ill let people know not to go to your house because it smells like a burnt diaper, so and so told me not to reveal their identity, o yea and all of his 3g mango trees snapped in half from the bushels of fruit on them

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
Ok guys, lets settle this like men no more forum bashing! After school we will meet in the park at 4:30 under the sycamore tree we will have Mike from BENDERS be the ref and have no holds bar fruit tree trivia it will be a 15 round fight 3 questions per round and may the best man win!
WHO WILL WIN THE HEAVYWEIGHT BELT?
Joe

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
I'm making a special appearance cuz this thread is getting petty
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
Getting back to the essentials of this thread: i'm still a bit confused about origin of these named varieties (Borneo Red and Excalibur Red). Are they all originally from seeds brought back from Thailand? And what is the difference, if any, between Excalibur Red and new name cropping up now: Morning Red?
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
Richard Wilson/Excalibur is not responsible for naming of Borneo Red.

Excalibur Red is from a selection of growing and testing many many seeds from Thailand.

Red Morning is also from Thailand,  known as Dang Suria (or Red Good Morning).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
Richard Wilson/Excalibur is not responsible for naming of Borneo Red.

Excalibur Red is from a selection of growing and testing many many seeds from Thailand.

Red Morning is also from Thailand,  known as Dang Suria (or Red Good Morning).

Yeah, i know Borneo Red was named by Chris Rollins. Was just trying to figure out if all these came from seeds brought back or any are from scions of already existing cultivars in Thailand? OK, did not know Dang Suria is same as Red Morning. So i take it then from what you are saying that this is the only one of the 3 mentioned that was an already existing cultivar in Thailand? Was it brought back as scion wood, or was it also started from seed? thanks for info.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:16 PM »
To the best of my knowledge,  Excalibur Red did not come frm o known named variety.

I will have to find out if Red Morning/Dang Suria was originally brought in as tree, scions, or seeds from a true fruit.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »
Wow, those red Jak pictures sure look amazing! You guys are to be commended for doing a great job propagating quality red jackfruits, they sure are a thing of beauty.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 03:23:38 AM »
This is a 24 pound fruit from a red morning seedling.   Cleaned was 8.5 - 9 pounds of edible flesh.  Ta ste was outstanding and reiterates why I say that a good red fleshed jackfruit is better than a yellow fleshed.

Seņor Rob,

is it possible to buy seeds/scions?  ::)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
What a great looking Jak.  Proof that sometimes planting a seedling will produce an amazing fruit.  I have a 15 ft tall Excalibur Red seedling planted.  Hoping it produces something like that !

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

Wow look amazing! Thanks for sharing

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 02:43:16 AM »
These jackfruits look amazing! The vibrant red color really screams the tropics. Wow, Florida nurseries always makes the best selections of tropical fruit, while California does citrus.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »

Ok Rob you just sold me on the  red morning seedling, Borneo Red was Samurai this morning, geeze my Ghost Blade Kantana cut through it like butter, a worthless tree that have done nothing but produce inconsistent fruits in Parkland for me,. Some years fruit good  target practice  for  50/50 caliber other year good enough to send to family & friend. & yes it its aint so cold hardy in 2009- & 2010.  You  have that tasty  red  morning seedling like the one in the picture available?    ;)

Yeah Mr. Clean I got problem with every nurseries in Florida misplacing label over the last 30 years growing everything under the sun.  Hell I myself mislabel my own shit like shit which Willughbeia is that? I once bought a plant at Excalibur that was mis label & I end up buying a rare plant for 2/3 the price saving 300.00 bucks; actually I found out later Richard never intend to sell it to bad! I wish more Idiots work at Excalibur So a plant Gurus like me can take advantage of their misguided bargains.
I bought a nu thong & two petch pakchong  atemoya. Two week later the leaves came out fully & I notice one of the petch was a nu thong, took it back & Rob cheerfully swap for petch patchong; what a great customer service. They even gave me a tour of the VIP Rare section which I note in my Head; next time Rob, Richard & His wife not there, I ask to see if there are idiots there selling me the rare stuff! Oh by the Way PIN mislabel my malay apple turn out it was a black pearl wax apple which is even better.  So study your plant & be knowledgeable so you can take advantage of these nurseries like me!  ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »

Seņor Rob,

is it possible to buy seeds/scions?  ::)

Same question.  8)
Moh'd

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
Coconut - What size are you looking for?  I know we have grafted  and possibly seedlings depending on the size.  Will know more tomorrow.   Either come up or PM me your contact info and I will let you know.
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »

Damn that is a nice looking piece of fruit.

Which currently available Jak produces fruit most similar to this seedling? Excalibur Red or ? Does it have any seasonal tendency (early, late)...or is it highly variable by year?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:56:21 PM by BrettBorders »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »

wow...thanks for sharing the beautiful picture!
I still have yet to taste a red fleshed type.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
tasted Borneo Red at the fruit conference.

it was hands down one of the best jacks I've had...making the common ones taste like filth.

the only other jack I've had that I liked was "honey gold?"....it was super soft and sweet....much different than Borneo Red, but I really enjoy both.

I suppose the Red type of jacks don't get full coloration in FL...they fruit was orange.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com