Author Topic: Seeds as fertilizer?  (Read 2566 times)

Herman

• View Profile
Seeds as fertilizer?
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
It is my understanding that the first few weeks of a plant sprouting from seed can get all of their nutrients from the seed itself, has anyone thought about grinding plant seeds and using them as fertilizer?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Seeds as fertilizer?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »
It is my understanding that the first few weeks of a plant sprouting from seed can get all of their nutrients from the seed itself, has anyone thought about grinding plant seeds and using them as fertilizer?

Isn't that exactly what cottonseed meal is?
Oscar

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
I thought cottonseed meal is the byproduct of extracting the oil from the cottonseed.

I was thinking on the lines of the next time I consume some mangos, instead of throwing the seeds away in the trash, take the seeds out of the husks and grind them up for fertilizer.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »
Can use the dried up seeds and husks as mulch, works great.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:54:18 AM »
I thought cottonseed meal is the byproduct of extracting the oil from the cottonseed.

I was thinking on the lines of the next time I consume some mangos, instead of throwing the seeds away in the trash, take the seeds out of the husks and grind them up for fertilizer.

Yes cottonseed is by product of extracting oil, but then is sold a fertilizer and also i believe animal feed.
I think taking seeds out of husks of mangos and grinding would be more work thank it's worth as fertilizer. But maybe you have more time on your hands than i do.
Oscar

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:16:06 AM »

Isn't that exactly what cottonseed meal is?

Yes, and I use it by the ton to keep the PH down in the grove, and I use it on the lawn.Greens up the grass nicely.

Joe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk