Author Topic: Malika Mango tree over watered?  (Read 4919 times)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
Malika Mango tree over watered?
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
Hey guys, this poor little guy was growing nicely in a pot back before the big rain hit in socal, so i planted it in the ground just couple of before the rain. New growths seem to be dead, im not watering it anymore, its moist underneath the mulches. Do mango trees get sun burn? Any tips to bring this poor guy back to life? thanks.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Malika Mango tree over watered?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
socal10b,

My experiences have shown that both overwatering (along with colder night weather) and underwatering yields the same symptoms as shown in your picture.  Based on the information that you have given (moist under the mulch), I am going to guess that the culprit was overwatering.  But you probably can dig just a little deeper under the mulch to confirm.

As far as recovery, you probably have to let this recover on its own in the sunlight.  I too would have stopped watering until the soil can dry out.  Hopefully things will get better with this 4 day heat wave.

Good luck!
Warren

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Everyone was welcoming this last week of rain and cold

Initially I was on the role too , but it had very -ve effect on the plant

My LZ died 1 foot of two beautiful lateral branches and some of the newly planted veggie died ( too much water and cold )

Now hoping that other will survive

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
Might be a good idea to shade it by putting a canopy over it while it is recovering.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
I had it happen to my 15-gal ataulfo tree as well, one branch that had a take of graft actually died and rest of the tree went in shock. I thought it was due to less water, so I watered it, no results.

then I thought about putting it in the ground, thats when I found out that the 15-gal plant was rootbound and roots were cramped for room. I put it in the ground now. hopefully it will fluorish again soon.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
Everyone was welcoming this last week of rain and cold

Initially I was on the role too , but it had very -ve effect on the plant

My LZ died 1 foot of two beautiful lateral branches and some of the newly planted veggie died ( too much water and cold )

Now hoping that other will survive

you are growing mangoes in the bay area?  without a greenhouse?  wow.  sorry for your loss.   LZ is a friend of us all.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »

you are growing mangoes in the bay area?  without a greenhouse?  wow.  sorry for your loss.   LZ is a friend of us all.

I do have portable greenhouse , which I used it during the winter , but removed it at the end of march

LZ is not dead yet , really hopefull it should not
It's just the top part get brown and died back , the stem is still green though

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »
Was it sitting in full sun while potted?

I had a similar issue once when putting a young plant about that size whose leaves were developed in indirect sun, into open sun.  He dropped the old leaves, went into shock for a bit, and then produced newer, deeper green foliage and came back fuller and thicker just fine.

I imagine you had 5 things:  cold, water, wet feet and sun on light green foliage all at once while just overcoming transplanting.

Seems pretty normal, and other than some leaves and possible branch tips, it should be fine.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
What's up with the trunk it looks like its painted white?

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
What's up with the trunk it looks like its painted white?

Why not? It has nothing do with the paint, painted the trunk recently after the leaves was dying. I do with my avocado trees to protect them from sunburn. Probably it was due to excess rain and over watering.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
i noticed that carlos paints his trunks white as well.  Is sunburn a bad problem for avocado trunks?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
i noticed that carlos paints his trunks white as well.  Is sunburn a bad problem for avocado trunks?

Yes sunburn on avocado trees equals to dead wood. I don't if this happens to mango trees or not. Doesn't hurt to give it a bit of protection and I'm new to growing mango trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk