Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 383759 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1500 on: May 04, 2023, 04:19:01 PM »
Red Hybrid fruits have been a little nicer than Sabara this year, but lots more Sabara:

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 06, 2023, 07:37:43 PM »
Feasting on red hybrid today

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 07, 2023, 11:22:56 AM »
Feasting on red hybrid today

Really like the structure on this tree. How large is it? Do you have a pic of the full tree?

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 08, 2023, 03:47:48 PM »
Itís about 4í tall and I just up potted it to a 25gal earlier this year. I bought it as a seedling from 9waters on Etsy probably in 2017 or 2018. I havenít done that much pruning, just removied lower crossing branches and let it do itís thing.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 10, 2023, 12:09:51 PM »
Itís about 4í tall and I just up potted it to a 25gal earlier this year. I bought it as a seedling from 9waters on Etsy probably in 2017 or 2018. I havenít done that much pruning, just removied lower crossing branches and let it do itís thing.

Thank you! Very stocky!

JorgeJF

• Mid Atlantic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 16, 2023, 06:11:20 PM »
Hi,
Although this thread has been a little quiet lately, I still hope some of the more knowledgeable members can answer my question.

I got Jaboticabaholic since I tasted some sabara fruits, from a large tree thriving here, and been collecting a dozen or so seedlings, all around 20-30cm high. But I don't want to wait the 10-15 years required for starting to fruit. So I was planning to use the seedlings as rootstocks for older branches of sabara, and also for adding scions from other varieties.

Recently I came across an overseas vendor who has plants of several more exotic varieties, from red hybrid to grimal and plinia phitranta.
Most of them are seedlings but he also has some air-layered.

Now, as stated in his shpping policy, he ships (international) everything barerooted, and transit time is from 7 to 14 days.

My question: will jaboticabas stand this harsh treatment and still survive ?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 16, 2023, 08:14:50 PM »
Hi,
Although this thread has been a little quiet lately, I still hope some of the more knowledgeable members can answer my question.

I got Jaboticabaholic since I tasted some sabara fruits, from a large tree thriving here, and been collecting a dozen or so seedlings, all around 20-30cm high. But I don't want to wait the 10-15 years required for starting to fruit. So I was planning to use the seedlings as rootstocks for older branches of sabara, and also for adding scions from other varieties.

Recently I came across an overseas vendor who has plants of several more exotic varieties, from red hybrid to grimal and plinia phitranta.
Most of them are seedlings but he also has some air-layered.

Now, as stated in his shpping policy, he ships (international) everything barerooted, and transit time is from 7 to 14 days.

My question: will jaboticabas stand this harsh treatment and still survive ?

I don't think they will survive being barerooted. Jaboticabas don't like drying out completely; everyone shipping them in the US ships them potted in soil and well-watered.

Also, there is really no reason to buy Red, Grimal, or Phitranthas (of which there are many Phitrantha varieties) from overseas. Growers here in the US have fruiting examples of those plants. Plus, Red, Scarlet (Escarlate), and Phitrantha can all fruit in under five years from seed. Grimal will take eight to ten years, but you won't decrease that time by grafting an immature seedling scion onto a rootstock. You need scions from fruiting trees to decrease or eliminate their maturation period and get fruit quickly.

JorgeJF

• Mid Atlantic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 16, 2023, 08:53:11 PM »

Also, there is really no reason to buy Red, Grimal, or Phitranthas (of which there are many Phitrantha varieties) from overseas. Growers here in the US have fruiting examples of those plants.
The problem is that I am not based in the US. I'm in Europe. And from what I have been seeing around, there aren't that many vendors and prices are high (or very high).

Plus, Red, Scarlet (Escarlate), and Phitrantha can all fruit in under five years from seed. Grimal will take eight to ten years, but you won't decrease that time by grafting an immature seedling scion onto a rootstock. You need scions from fruiting trees to decrease or eliminate their maturation period and get fruit quickly.
Yes, you are right. At most I gain 1 or 2 years, starting from seedlings opposed to seeds. But around here, seeds are also difficult to get.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 16, 2023, 09:37:25 PM »

Also, there is really no reason to buy Red, Grimal, or Phitranthas (of which there are many Phitrantha varieties) from overseas. Growers here in the US have fruiting examples of those plants.
The problem is that I am not based in the US. I'm in Europe. And from what I have been seeing around, there aren't that many vendors and prices are high (or very high).

Plus, Red, Scarlet (Escarlate), and Phitrantha can all fruit in under five years from seed. Grimal will take eight to ten years, but you won't decrease that time by grafting an immature seedling scion onto a rootstock. You need scions from fruiting trees to decrease or eliminate their maturation period and get fruit quickly.
Yes, you are right. At most I gain 1 or 2 years, starting from seedlings opposed to seeds. But around here, seeds are also difficult to get.

I see. I thought you were located in the US. Your profile says your location is "Mid-Atlantic." That is a region of the US. Hence, why I thought you were an American grower.

JorgeJF

• Mid Atlantic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 17, 2023, 07:19:57 AM »
Well, I am really in the middle of Atlantic... in an island. More closer to Europe than US.

Can you (or anyone here) recomment a jaboticaba vendor operating in Europe ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 07:29:41 AM by JorgeJF »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 17, 2023, 11:26:42 AM »
Well, I am really in the middle of Atlantic... in an island. More closer to Europe than US.

Can you (or anyone here) recomment a jaboticaba vendor operating in Europe ?
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=48637.msg504728#msg504728

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 21, 2023, 11:30:32 AM »
Just another addict over here
Cheers to you all !!

Red hybrid

Grimal

Spirito Santensis

"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank