Author Topic: Late Season Cold Snap  (Read 378 times)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Late Season Cold Snap
« on: March 21, 2023, 08:04:19 AM »
I am hoping that this late season cold snap doesn't negatively affect what is on the trees here in Lakeland, FL.  I thought we were beyond the cold for the year but last night was even colder than expected.  It hit 38.1 for a couple of hours early this morning.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Late Season Cold Snap
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 08:30:28 AM »
Yep this season has been quite the yo-yo temperature wise.
Very wishful thinking but I still have half of orange sherbert that still dormant and strangely enough Pickering everything else has gone vegetative growth. One of the YouTubers claims this is the best season ever. Kind of a mixed bag for me

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:32:56 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 05:47:26 PM »
Wow, 38 degrees for you, my low was 42 and I think the forecast was 48 if i recall.. you really are in a cold pocket..

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:08:24 PM »
At around what temps do mango flowers get wrecked? I’d assume anything above 40 is good correct?
Lost all stone fruit crops and persimmons this year from frost.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 06:54:52 PM »
Wow, 38 degrees for you, my low was 42 and I think the forecast was 48 if i recall.. you really are in a cold pocket..

Never thought about it until the cold started hitting.  We are in a valley like low area near County Line and Ewell.  Not only are we in a cold pocket but after moving in I immediately planted over a dozen mango and other fruit trees to also find that even though our property is sloped, standing water is insane here.  I fought standing water around the trees for a couple of years and finally hand dug close to 300 ft of trench to install perforated pipe which is helping to move the water away.

I am really hoping that this cold triggers some additional panicles and subsequent fruit.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 06:59:06 PM »
At around what temps do mango flowers get wrecked? I’d assume anything above 40 is good correct?
Lost all stone fruit crops and persimmons this year from frost.

Frost is a real tough one here as well.  If the moisture in the air is higher than the temperature itself, frost can occur well above freezing as I understand it.