Author Topic: Magic Tricks to push Bloom on Mango Seedling  (Read 946 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Magic Tricks to push Bloom on Mango Seedling
« on: January 03, 2023, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi folks, hope you had great holidays. I was wondering if there are magic tricks to force bloom on mango seedling. I have a seedling that is now 8-yr old and wondering what I can do to make it to bloom this year?

Any thoughts on someone who has been successful? Its a Lemon Zest seedling.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Tricks to push Bloom on Mango Seedling
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »
Ready to laugh? Seriously, I’ve had 4 different people tell me you can beat on the trunk with a baseball bat  and apparently stresses the tree enough to bloom. I would personally NEVER do this to my mango trees but that’s from some reliable sources.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Usually hard drier season stress it and it bloom

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
Girdle

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 10:27:50 PM »
Girdle

I agree with this. 3mm girdle on no more than 50% of branches approximately 3-4 months before the coldest time of the year. The ungirdled branches probably won't bloom, but are needed to continue the flow of nutrients to the roots. I have been told that tip pruning seedlings helps them break juvenility faster as well.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 01:50:22 AM »
Behl,
You have anything grafted onto it? If not, maybe try grafting a mature  NDM budwood onto the trunk, that might help trigger it into flowering mode. Ndm is always blooming year round over here.

Or try using  EB Stones 0 10 10 bloom boosters.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 08:08:07 PM »
You can try to graft it onto a vigorous, mature tree. It won’t be magic but it could cause it to grow faster and reach a physiologically mature size faster. Decreasing leaf nitrogen levels combined with timing of pruning so that a bloom occurs on growth that was allowed to mature and rest can help tilt the balance toward floral induction.

You can also try Potassium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate or use paclobutrazol if you’re desperate. A period of drought prior to blooming combined with decreased leaf nitrogen levels combined with girdling may also work.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 01:18:32 AM »
Sounds strange, every mango tree i have growing from seed is blooming after 4 or 5 years max.  They all reach a certain size about 6ft x 6ft and start blooming and fruiting.  Maybe it just has not reached the right size but will soon. 
Brad Spaugh

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 03:47:59 AM »
Hi folks, hope you had great holidays. I was wondering if there are magic tricks to force bloom on mango seedling. I have a seedling that is now 8-yr old and wondering what I can do to make it to bloom this year?

First question, are other mango trees around it flowering without problem?
If not, a soil test might help you to correct the lack of energy in the soil.

Water stress would be better then girdling or beating it up since there will not be any scar tissue formed on the cambium.
And dry stress is one of the natural flower stimulators of Mango so it's adapted.
People I know have tried to girdle and machete old mangosteen tree's with no success so it's not a guarantee and you will always be left with a weak tree after that.

It's good to judge maturity by girth and not by age because a tree could be stunted or not growing properly and sometimes in nurseries they keep seedlings stunted for many many years. One nurseryman I know have tiny 10 year old miracle fruit trees in tiny containers and just pots them up when he wants to fill the stock. And then they start to grow in a normal pace.

Simon,
One man I know (Donny) also use Potassium Nitrate and Calcium Nitrate to induce flowering in various tropical trees. Zinc sulphate heptahydrate is also used. He uses them in large quantities, far more then to correct a deficiency. About 1kg ZnSo for a large tree, I haven't dared to try it yet because that's a lot of zinc!!
I suspect it works in a electro chemical way rather then to correct deficiency, Increasing the ERGS (Energy released per gram of soil).
Here an old article about his place with descriptions of what he does.
He's fruit is really good and he got a lot of it.
http://www.rfcarchives.org.au/Next/PeoplePlaces/GrayProperty11-93.htm
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »
Burn some woody trash near enough (and long enough) so the smoke wafts through the canopy but the heat made isn't too intense to scorch the leaves. My dad does this to get off season fruit- apparently a common practice in the PI. Flowers in 1-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:24:06 AM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »

First question, are other mango trees around it flowering without problem?
If not, a soil test might help you to correct the lack of energy in the soil.

Water stress would be better then girdling or beating it up since there will not be any scar tissue formed on the cambium.
And dry stress is one of the natural flower stimulators of Mango so it's adapted.
People I know have tried to girdle and machete old mangosteen tree's with no success so it's not a guarantee and you will always be left with a weak tree after that.

It's good to judge maturity by girth and not by age because a tree could be stunted or not growing properly and sometimes in nurseries they keep seedlings stunted for many many years. One nurseryman I know have tiny 10 year old miracle fruit trees in tiny containers and just pots them up when he wants to fill the stock. And then they start to grow in a normal pace.

Simon,
One man I know (Donny) also use Potassium Nitrate and Calcium Nitrate to induce flowering in various tropical trees. Zinc sulphate heptahydrate is also used. He uses them in large quantities, far more then to correct a deficiency. About 1kg ZnSo for a large tree, I haven't dared to try it yet because that's a lot of zinc!!
I suspect it works in a electro chemical way rather then to correct deficiency, Increasing the ERGS (Energy released per gram of soil).
Here an old article about his place with descriptions of what he does.
He's fruit is really good and he got a lot of it.
http://www.rfcarchives.org.au/Next/PeoplePlaces/GrayProperty11-93.htm

Enjoyed reading your article, thanks!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 07:53:00 PM »
Burn some woody trash near enough (and long enough) so the smoke wafts through the canopy but the heat made isn't too intense to scorch the leaves. My dad does this to get off season fruit- apparently a common practice in the PI. Flowers in 1-3 weeks.

I remember having read about that somewhere. I imagine that the tree has to be dormant when this method is applied. How long does he keep the smoke going?