Author Topic: MANGO recommendation  (Read 6416 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: MANGO recommendation
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
How can we try different varieties? By purchasing fruits online..? Joining mango tasting events..? Which nurseries are organizing events or selling and sending fruits?

I’m going to be using Tropical Acres Farm. I’m mainly interested in trying newer Zill varieties that are not prevalent in Miami. In Miami you can buy all the classic varieties at Pine Island Nursery (they sell the fruit) for a low cost. I had posted something similar and you can go back and look at that post for more recommendations of places you can pick up at in person.

Also check out Hidden Acres in Davie.  They have a lot of the newer varieties.   Zills Mangos (Walter Zill) in Boynton Beach is also a great place to buy fruit.  They are open 6 days a week during mango season, closed on Saturdays.

You may also try reaching out to Jeff aka Cookie Monster.  He is in Tamarac and is a great resource (assuming his trees produced well).
- Rob

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:07 PM »
Thank you all. Does Lemon zest really taste like lemon? Does it have tartness? Also, what do we need to do against the disease issue of Lemon zest?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:16:32 PM by onur »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »
Try Truly Tropical in Delray Beach

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
Thank you all. Does Lemon zest really taste like lemon? Does it have tartness? Also, what do we need to do against the disease issue of Lemon zest?
You'll just have to try for yourself when you get the chance.  It's not exactly like lemon, but it definitely reminds you of citrus fruits.  It's not tart.
John

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »
What you "need" to get is what you like.  Dont buy for class/types or season, buy for what you like.

I’ve told you many times before that I bought what YOU liked and I’m the happiest person on the TFF. When you said you didn’t care for Carrie I got big confidence in your taste. Thanks again.
PS. Turns out your 5 faves listed here are pretty much my top ones too for flavor. I was flying blind way back and your input has made my life and the ones who get to eat the choices so much more pleasurable and exciting.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2021, 09:49:18 PM »
What you "need" to get is what you like.  Dont buy for class/types or season, buy for what you like.

I’ve told you many times before that I bought what YOU liked and I’m the happiest person on the TFF. When you said you didn’t care for Carrie I got big confidence in your taste. Thanks again.
PS. Turns out your 5 faves listed here are pretty much my top ones too for flavor. I was flying blind way back and your input has made my life and the ones who get to eat the choices so much more pleasurable and exciting.

👍👍👍
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:52 PM »
You'll just have to try for yourself when you get the chance.  It's not exactly like lemon, but it definitely reminds you of citrus fruits.  It's not tart.

To keep your tree perfectly healthy will keep serious problems at bay. Don’t wait till it gets sick. Cut out the center of the tree so air flows. Keep it short. Scout the tree every single time you walk by it especially looking for scale and mealy bugs and look not only at the top of the leaves but the bottoms too. Inspect the branches and notches. Remove the bad leaves that turn yellow and decide on an individual basis if you are going to remove the affected leaves or spot sprayed with horticultural oil which emulsifies those pests. If it’s a wide infestation spray the whole tree. This should prevent BBS FROM ENTERING THE TREE AND THE TREE WILL NEVER GET A BIG PROBLEM. For me it just seems that LZ is more susceptible than my other trees to mango scale but it’s no big deal if you scout then spot spray and keep the tree open so it can dry up fast. LZ will take care of you if you take care of it. I have about 50 LZ’s and that’s because it’s so uniquely great! 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
That will not prevent MBBS. 
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:40 AM »
Also, what do we need to do against the disease issue of Lemon zest?
I think Har mentions in one of the Truly Tropical videos removing any LZ fruit that doesn't look healthy and the rest ripens ok.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »
To aid in controlling MBBS, make sure all tree litter is picked up from the ground.  Infected dead leaves/branches/fruit allowed to lay on the ground will cause infection and spreading.
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2021, 04:05:35 PM »
Alphanso
Payari
Dusheri

3 different tastes, fruit colour and fruit size . But considering Indian conditions.

May I ask why  Iman Pasand is not one of your choice? I have a tree and I like it -- big fruit,  rich flavor, no PM issue, and reliable bearer -- very much.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 03:02:46 AM »
Thank you all. I appreciate the time you spent providing the valuable information.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »
Alphanso
Payari
Dusheri

3 different tastes, fruit colour and fruit size . But considering Indian conditions.

May I ask why  Iman Pasand is not one of your choice? I have a tree and I like it -- big fruit,  rich flavor, no PM issue, and reliable bearer -- very much.

Can you please describe the taste of Imam Pasand (Hamam) more specifically?

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 12:32:56 AM »
Malika , Mallika and Mallika... ;)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »

To keep your tree perfectly healthy will keep serious problems at bay. Don’t wait till it gets sick. Cut out the center of the tree so air flows. Keep it short. Scout the tree every single time you walk by it especially looking for scale and mealy bugs and look not only at the top of the leaves but the bottoms too. Inspect the branches and notches. Remove the bad leaves that turn yellow and decide on an individual basis if you are going to remove the affected leaves or spot sprayed with horticultural oil which emulsifies those pests. If it’s a wide infestation spray the whole tree. This should prevent BBS FROM ENTERING THE TREE AND THE TREE WILL NEVER GET A BIG PROBLEM. For me it just seems that LZ is more susceptible than my other trees to mango scale but it’s no big deal if you scout then spot spray and keep the tree open so it can dry up fast. LZ will take care of you if you take care of it. I have about 50 LZ’s and that’s because it’s so uniquely great!

Hello Weiss, is it normal for a tree to develop yellow leaves?  The tree will eventually drop them, do I still need to remove them manually?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2021, 01:46:50 PM »
I still have some Pickering 7 gallon trees and Coconut Cream 3 gallon for sale (Myakka).

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »
Can you please describe the taste of Imam Pasand (Hamam) more specifically?

This thread might help:
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41993.0

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
Thanks to this forum I have Pickering , E4, M4, OS and other top tier mangoes
All doing great!

Also thank God I didn’t too work my sweet tart tree, as this is the 5th year in the ground and explored with fruit just as ROB had stated many times .

Here’s an update on my multi grafted Mango tree.

Good to see everyone here on the forum 👍🏼
https://youtu.be/jDv2UESDjDg

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
BBS Control for Mango Farmers. Ghana not the USA. This mango man knows what he is talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXNeGaGYNIg&t=5s

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
All doing great!

Also thank God I didn’t too work my sweet tart tree, as this is the 5th year in the ground and explored with fruit just as ROB had stated many times .

Thanks Ed

I watched. Very nicely produced video  - I am sending you a PM

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2021, 01:52:47 PM »
Thanks Zands!

Been a long time I haven’t post here ...
Crazy times ..
Zone 10

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »
This link may help to select varieties for Florida. Table 1 is useful.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/MG/MG21600.pdf

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
This link may help to select varieties for Florida. Table 1 is useful.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/MG/MG21600.pdf
Useful information about GROWING mangos, but the information about varieties is not current and does not cover all the new introductions of the last decade.
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
All doing great!

Also thank God I didn’t top work my sweet tart tree, as this is the 5th year in the ground and explored with fruit just as ROB had stated many times .

Thanks Ed

Why were you contemplating top working your sweet tart tree?  It was not producing for the past 5 years?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2021, 08:48:27 AM »

BS Bullie has his negs but I have always paid attention to his many magnificent mango musings. Through the years I have gotten good advice from him.
Weiss-- you are more an extreme hard core mango case period! Also extremus as far as bs bullie goes, and he deserves your effusive praise.