Author Topic: Fruit from my yard.  (Read 1973 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Fruit from my yard.
« on: November 17, 2021, 09:38:23 PM »
Here’s a seedling papaya of waimanolo x-77. I have two of these trees growing now and I think it’s interesting to note that my fruits are more melon shaped than the x-77 solo “pear” shape images I’ve seen online. Also my trees aren’t dwarf like x-77 is said to be. I’ve nicknamed it “tree cantaloupe” because the flesh is firmer than average papaya, like a cantaloupe , and the flavor is like a mild mango meets passion fruit sans tartness. I was also growing the sunrise solo papaya but I’ve since culled them because I prefer the x-77 seedlings.

-joe

Snooklip

• US, FL, Lecanto, 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit from my yard.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
Do you sell seeds for this papaya?     

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:44:43 PM »
Definitely in for some seeds, this sounds like a keeper.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »
I’ll let you guys know when more fruit ripens soon, the seeds from the fruit above were already spoken for 👍

-Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 11:32:06 PM »
Here’s a late season geffner and last one off my tree. I’ve heard that geffner is not as good later in the season, so this may be a one off because it was deliciously juicy and sweet, look at the light glistening off the flesh, my gosh I wish I had more! The earlier ones I got this year were somewhat a disappointment as they had a sort of rubbery non juicy texture whereas they were very soft and ripe. This was the first year my geffner has produced so wondering what others have experienced consistency wise? I can imagine a scenario where if fruit was picked prematurely it would be rubbery but I picked them tree rippened soft.

Merry Christmas,

-Joe

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 07:42:34 AM »
It's been so warm in December maybe that is why the taste was great? Some of my
atemoyas including my geffner have lost 80% of their leaves while others
haven't lost one and are still very green. In my exerience the fruit of my
atemoyas and sugar apples has always improved drastically the second year
The year before last year I fertilized heavy and had wonderful new growth
but terrible fruit production and taste was not great

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 09:27:58 PM »
Here are some Oro Negro avocados I picked off my tree, it’s first year holding fruit to maturity. Previous years it would flower and form pellet sized fruits but they would abort for some reason. Some tasting notes: the seed seems large to me vs flesh, the flesh is kinda firmer than a typical hass, whereas this definitely tastes like a hybrid it’s slightly more flavorful than typical store bought florida avocado but with less oil flavor than a hass, I tasted some sweetness while also some salty boiled egg yolk just eating it straight up plain with a spoon. Gonna make some guacamole tomorrow when the stores open back up.

Merry Christmas,

-Joe

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 01:03:41 AM »

Gefner looks like this around here.

This is Lisa.
Gefner should have this texture like Lisa.
Immature Gefner has a texture of a block of rubber.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
Here are some Oro Negro avocados I picked off my tree, it’s first year holding fruit to maturity. Previous years it would flower and form pellet sized fruits but they would abort for some reason. Some tasting notes: the seed seems large to me vs flesh, the flesh is kinda firmer than a typical hass, whereas this definitely tastes like a hybrid it’s slightly more flavorful than typical store bought florida avocado but with less oil flavor than a hass, I tasted some sweetness while also some salty boiled egg yolk just eating it straight up plain with a spoon. Gonna make some guacamole tomorrow when the stores open back up.

Merry Christmas,

-Joe

Are you growing any other avocados?  If so, can you comment on them?  I've grown Simmonds and Wurtz, and eaten a lot of Choquettes from a friend's tree.  For a late fall/early winter avocado Wurtz is a little lacking in flavor, but clean fruit and productive little tree.  Simmonds is good for an August avocado--you have to eat it alone to appreciate the flavor, a nice contrast to mangos at that time of year when you have a breakfast of fruit.  Choquette is decent in flavor, but nothing like a California Hass or Fuerte--beautiful fruit, seemed to be heavy but alternate bearing.  It gets better the longer it stays on the tree.  I've eaten Lula, too, and find the flavor better than the above three, but the fruit has a tendency to get scab.  Lula trees get large and spreading.  My neighbor is growing an avocado that appears to be a Lula seedling with outstanding flavor, but the tree is a skyscraper--tallest avocado tree I've seen!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:01:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
Hey John,

I just recently acquired a Marcus pumpkin and super hass each in 3 gallon which haven’t fruited yet. Ultimately going to try and put their scions onto my large in ground oro negro. My buddy in WPB has a super hass that he raves about, so looking forward to getting that one going.

-Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
Hey John,

I just recently acquired a Marcus pumpkin and super hass each in 3 gallon which haven’t fruited yet. Ultimately going to try and put their scions onto my large in ground oro negro. My buddy in WPB has a super hass that he raves about, so looking forward to getting that one going.

-Joe
Let me guess. You got them from Trees N More!  I got a Monroe and Day from Mike very recently.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:04:14 PM by johnb51 »
John

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 12:22:12 PM »
Lol Baboom you nailed it, I got both from mike at trees n more, i got them around two months ago and right when I got them I tried grafting a scion from each onto some 1 gal root stock I had. I unwrapped both yesterday the Marcus pumpkin is starting to leaf out and the super hass was but I accidentally broke the scion off unwrapping the parafilm 🙈🙈🙈

-joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »
Butterscotch Sapodilla

Wanted to share some pics of my butterscotch sapodilla and initial tasting impression. Below in a picture is it’s comparison to a dropped Alano, look at the flesh color difference. I’ve eaten about 5 now from my tree and they are near gritless, the least amount of grit I’ve tasted in a sapodilla, they are still sugar bombs seem to me less sweet compared to the Alanos I’ve grown. Taste to me is like sugar cane juice, I didn’t sense any butterscotch flavor, I feel “energized “ when I eat them …maybe just my blood sugar spiking lol.

I let my wife and two friends try a butterscotch the other morning and they were not impressed, said it’s too sweet….more for me lol.

-Joe

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 09:56:47 AM »
Thanks Joe,

I have never seen a pic of the inside.
Has a light color like Silas wood.
Hopefully the butterscotch flavor comes in over time

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 04:10:11 PM »
good stuff it's making me hungry  ;D

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 06:59:22 PM »
Great to see any info on Butterscotch. Joe how large is your tree? Whats the growth habit like?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk