Author Topic: Coatepec ilamas second year visit  (Read 468 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Coatepec ilamas second year visit
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:50:22 AM »
I went again to Guatemala looking for ilamas why go that far taking 2 planes each way and then cross the border in a balsa through the river then take a couple hours bus to find them instead of traveling closer in Mexico to Guerrero or Oaxaca?
Because this fruits are excellent, they have great complex flavor with several ranges between sweet and acidity and the colors are just  and extraordinary added beauty  this time because I'm traveling to Miami in August, came a month earlier and was able to find some early varieties that I didn't saw last year as Bicolor and FTS (Fleshy tropical snow) these specie fruit with good care in just three years and they are just medium size shrubs, so is easy to put several close by, I even recommend to plant a couple seedlings in the same hole for cross pollination and more fruits,
Varieties
Red delicious : the color speaks for itself very sweet ilama flavor with tangy end and red berry's notes
Bicolor :awesome combination of red and white with a mix the red and white ilamas flavor, very sweet with red berries and citrus notes
Lady Fiusha :deep pink color very sweet same flavor profile as Bicolor
Tropical snow (FTS)  the most fleshy ilama I have tried sweet juicy creamy cotton ilama flavor with citrus notes
Cotton pink : very sweet with tangy notes
Purple :I could only get a single fruit, I remember it was good flavor but because it was only one I can't remember specifics, here are some pics so you can enjoy

El verde es vida!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Coatepec ilamas second year visit
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 12:22:25 PM »
Raul, wow those are some delicious looking fruit you found, great pics 8)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Coatepec ilamas second year visit
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:20 PM »
Really nice finds Raul, they all look delicious!
Thank you for your report, and sharing these beautiful photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk