Author Topic: When should I expect fruit?  (Read 363 times)

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
When should I expect fruit?
« on: August 12, 2023, 02:37:00 PM »
I recently bought an achacha tree and a jaboticaba tree. I have no idea how old they are and would like some help. The achacha is air layered and the lady guessed about 5 years old. The jabo I was told is grafted but I didnít even get an estimate on the age. Pretty sure the jabo is the common variety. I heard trunk girth is a good way to know when to expect fruit. Also would you guys kill the sucker coming out of the jabo? Im assuming I should but Iím not sure.

-Alex. Planning for my grandkids

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: When should I expect fruit?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 05:06:43 PM »
The jabo doesn't look grafted, it looks like it has typical multi trunks.
Also why would anyone graft a sabara on a sabara. I guess if the graft was from
a fruiting sabara it might cut down on the fruiting time? It is getting close to
fruiting size and shouldn't be too long. I have a white jabo that was grafted onto
a sabara and there is a noticeable graft line. I think my white still took 6 years to
fruit for me even though it was grafted but now it won't stop fruiting.
Make the tree happy and it will grow faster and fruit sooner. They love water if the
soil drains well. I have two and put them in the ground in full sun and they are happy
and fruit 3-4 times a year.

it does have a hurricane tilt

My Achacha was in the ground also and was 7 years old and bigger than yours.
I was hoping for flowers this year but it died in the freeze 2 Winters ago

It's tough to be sure exactly when your trees will flower. Make them happy and
wait is all you can do. People usually tell you what you want to hear when you buy them
and I don't trust anyone.

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 06:45:54 PM »
The jabo doesn't look grafted, it looks like it has typical multi trunks.
Also why would anyone graft a sabara on a sabara. I guess if the graft was from
a fruiting sabara it might cut down on the fruiting time? It is getting close to
fruiting size and shouldn't be too long. I have a white jabo that was grafted onto
a sabara and there is a noticeable graft line. I think my white still took 6 years to
fruit for me even though it was grafted but now it won't stop fruiting.
Make the tree happy and it will grow faster and fruit sooner. They love water if the
soil drains well. I have two and put them in the ground in full sun and they are happy
and fruit 3-4 times a year.

it does have a hurricane tilt

My Achacha was in the ground also and was 7 years old and bigger than yours.
I was hoping for flowers this year but it died in the freeze 2 Winters ago

It's tough to be sure exactly when your trees will flower. Make them happy and
wait is all you can do. People usually tell you what you want to hear when you buy them
and I don't trust anyone.

By grafted I believe she meant grown from a cutting or propagated. Not from seed in other words. I agree it doesn’t have any graft line. When I got it it had plenty of burnt leaves and it has since put out tons of gorgeous new growth surprisingly quickly. I always read it’s very slow growing but I guess it’s loved the summer rains and new pot. Very excited because I’ve never tried jabo. I agree with never trusting anyone. It was a good price and I couldn’t find any older trees anywhere so I got it. Hopeful for fruit within a couple years as I read air layered trees can fruit in 6 or so

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:38:53 PM by Altrexy »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:10:09 PM »
I can't recall where I heard this but the skin or bark pealing on the trunk was supposed to be a good sign.  Something about flowers coming from the new bark.

I had a red Jabo that started to fruit a year or two after I noticed the bark pealing.  That said, I have a much bigger tree of a different variety that is not flowering yet though the bark is pealing so perhaps it was just a coincidence but I will look and see if I find something.

Here is a post that mentions bark pealing.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3406.msg47665#msg47665

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 11:45:17 PM »
I can't recall where I heard this but the skin or bark pealing on the trunk was supposed to be a good sign.  Something about flowers coming from the new bark.

I had a red Jabo that started to fruit a year or two after I noticed the bark pealing.  That said, I have a much bigger tree of a different variety that is not flowering yet though the bark is pealing so perhaps it was just a coincidence but I will look and see if I find something.

Here is a post that mentions bark pealing.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3406.msg47665#msg47665

I figured the bark peeling was like the stretch marks I got as a kid 😂. Shows theyíre growing quickly and healthily.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk