Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

PT-plusXValentine cross

(1/5) > >>

Ilya11:
Probably succeeded to have it.
It was done with castrated  PTP flowers pollinated by Valentine pummelo. I tried also another way, but failed.
This year was supposed to be the last to try any cross with PTP, previously the seedlings although different in vigor were rather uniform in the shape of leaves and overall look alike.
Now only one third of them (I am germinating 85 seeds) look like those of poncirus, the rest are clearly different.

Putative nucellar seedling to the right. Red arrows point to the tiny unfoliate alternate first leaves typical for pure poncirus seedlings.

a_Vivaldi:
Now that's an interesting cross.

I assume the motivation here for the larger, juicier fruit + red coloration. Pigmented pomelo is used rather than a blood orange because of better results from poncirus hybrids with pomelo rather than orange, yes?

Till:
Very nice, Ilya. I would say: definitely hybrids. Then you have a chance of about 50% to get sweet fruits from the hybrids because of the Siamese Sweet genes. Bernhard Voss has a sweet Chandler x Poncirus cross. How sweet the fruits will be we will see. But 50% should at most have half of Poncirus acidity.
Cf. our discussion about the inheritance of low acidity: https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/728/inheritance-low-acidity
Very good cross. I wish I had done it myself.  :) Well, perhaps we can exchange pollen in about ten years when my Chandler crosses are flowering (Chandler x (African Shadock x Poncirus) & C. ichangensis x Chandler). Then we create the super sweet hardy citrus.  :)

Ilya11:

--- Quote from: a_Vivaldi on November 16, 2023, 01:10:38 PM ---Now that's an interesting cross.

I assume the motivation here for the larger, juicier fruit + red coloration. Pigmented pomelo is used rather than a blood orange because of better results from poncirus hybrids with pomelo rather than orange, yes?

--- End quote ---
Valentine is a very special variety with genes for two types of internal pigmentation and a gene for acidless feature.
At least in the case of combination with other cultivars of citrus it is able to diminish the acidity even when present in one copy.
I hope that this will be also a case in  poncirus hybrids.

Pandan:
Congrats on the success! I was planning on the same cross.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version