Author Topic: New Questions  (Read 762 times)

popps9

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
New Questions
« on: October 13, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new here and have some questions about my lemon tree.
First I know I let it grow out of hand and o I need to know exactly how to prune it back into shape. Also it has always been tilting and now is falling over quite a bit so I would love to know how I can stake this tree or support it somehow. It did grow alot of fruit this season over 60 lemons on this one tree but they were not the most beautiful pieces of fruit.
Hoping some out there can help me

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: New Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »
Looks like rust mites.  Lemons are very susceptible to those little guys.  Also, you tree looks under nourished.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 06:20:02 PM »
It looks to be a rooted cuttings. They grow small and bushy like that and have a shallow root system. If you want a tree and not a bush you need something grown from seed or grafted to root stock. I do like the rooted cuttings for container growing. It probably won't get any taller. You could cut the limbs back.

Many things could cause black fruit. Cold damage, low nutrients, disease so I can't be sure.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:23:31 PM »
I should add about black fruit. Florida citrus looks like crap but has the best flavor. It's unlikely you'll get good looking fruit in Florida. I don't know the cause maybe the humidity but that fruit in the photo might have gotten cold too. It won't affect the flavor.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 01:04:26 PM »
Yorgos had the correct answer .  The cause of your fruit being tarnished is from Rust Mites.  A good horticultural oil spray should eliminate them. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 01:28:31 PM by Millet »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 08:55:02 PM »
Several things lead to brown or black spots besides mites. Could be mites though. I have seen cold weather do that on fruit that is young like that when it gets cold.

Scroll down to the picture of the frost damaged fruit. But depending on the variety and how mature the fruit is, smaller younger fruit being more susceptible it might not need to freeze and might not damage the leaves. This usually happens when you have really small undeveloped fruit hit by cold temps. There's also fungus that leaves similar marks. Almost all Florida citrus is marked up unless they are spraying it with something but those look particularly bad.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HS1275

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 09:01:06 PM by 1rainman »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk