Author Topic: HLB Virus Map  (Read 1545 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 12:38:19 PM by greg_D »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: HLB Virus Map
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 01:12:13 PM »
Nice info.  Thanks Greg......

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 02:53:02 AM »
Thanks Greg. Wow I had absolutely no idea how widespread it's been in the l.a./o.c. area.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the info

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »
I plugged in my address (St Petersburg, Fla) and it shows me in a green circle with the message: You are more than 5 miles from an HLB detection (colored boxes).

I guess the means that my citrus trees are relatively safe for now? I thought surely I would be in a hot zone.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
I found the website where Floridians can request Tamarixia parasitoids to be mailed to them.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Pests-and-Diseases/Plant-Pests-and-Diseases/Biological-Control/Asian-Citrus-Psyllid-Biological-Control#:~:text=Tamarixia%20radiata%20has%20been%20reported,varying%20levels%20of%20ACP%20control.

If you are not a commercial citrus grower and would like to request parasitoids for release on your property to reduce ACP populations in citrus or ornamental plantings, please fill out the Tamarixia Release Form (see link at the top). Forms will be sent automatically to FDACS ACP biocontrol project coordinators. Your information is kept confidential. Supplies of T. radiata are limited, but program staff will respond to all inquiries and send wasps to as many requesters as possible. Tamarixia radiata will be shipped overnight at no cost with instructions for releasing the insects, which is fun and easy and is extremely important for protecting our citrus industry.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 02:27:08 PM »
It's worth noting that many citrus relatives can also host HLB/psyllids, including atalantia/severinia, murraya (box orange), and zanthoxylum (hercules club, prickly ash, szechuan/sancho/sansho peppercorn).

That zanthoxylum is in the list suggests there may not be a useful northern limit to HLB, because zanthoxylum is present into Ontario. It's hardier than poncirus.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »
I plugged in my address (St Petersburg, Fla) and it shows me in a green circle with the message: You are more than 5 miles from an HLB detection (colored boxes).

I guess the means that my citrus trees are relatively safe for now? I thought surely I would be in a hot zone.

Out of curiosity I plugged in my location and got the same message. I know for sure HLB is in my area as I have lost over a dozen trees to it, so I would be careful coming to the conclusion that your citrus is safe, just from that info.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 07:56:33 PM »

Out of curiosity I plugged in my location and got the same message. I know for sure HLB is in my area as I have lost over a dozen trees to it, so I would be careful coming to the conclusion that your citrus is safe, just from that info.

Thanks for checking. I would like to see some other Floridians chime in with their results.

Incidentally, I received an email from a UF biologist letting me know the little wasps are being overnighted to me next Tuesday.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 11:13:41 PM »

Thanks for checking. I would like to see some other Floridians chime in with their results.

Incidentally, I received an email from a UF biologist letting me know the little wasps are being overnighted to me next Tuesday.

I tried the wasps, they were gone almost immediately and did nothing to stop the greening. The only method I’ve found effective is growing under a protective screen.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 12:03:03 AM »
Apparently that map is only for California. I plugged in Los Angeles and it displayed a number of red boxes/hot zones.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 12:12:51 PM »
I’m in the quarantine zone and had to take down a couple for HLB trees in ‘21 and it doesn’t show anything. Must be good in California only?
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 08:08:19 PM »
I’m in the quarantine zone and had to take down a couple for HLB trees in ‘21 and it doesn’t show anything. Must be good in California only?

Correct.

ac

• Encinitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 12:29:36 PM »
UC doesn’t seem to be keeping their map up to date.  There is a new quarantine zone in San Diego county that was recently announced due to confirmed infection in a residential lime tree.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/citrus/pests_diseases/hlb/regulation.html

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 06:52:16 PM »
I plugged in my Florida address which is infested with greening but it said I'm more than five miles from it.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 04:10:44 AM »
[snip]

Calusa, et al.,

I tried checking at that same link and, iike you, got a similar green circle, yet I'm 95% sure that some of my citrus saplings are hosting ACPs and showing some suspect mottling on the leaves plus some dieback.  I am on the east side of Seminole Heights in Tampa.  (I grow tropical fruits for my personal use only.)

Hoping that the Div. of plant Industry in Gainesville will come up with some deterrent or cure for HLB post haste.  I've read that they've been working on something for a while now but I have not heard of any recent updates on their progress.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 11:23:04 AM »
Epicatt2 - that link is for California only.

If you have citrus openly growing in Florida it's assured that the HLB psyllids have already paid them a visit, or will before long.
In what will be my very last attempt to grow citrus in my yard, I bought two HLB-resistant varieties and have them covered with citrus screening. This screening will remain in place for a couple of years until, in theory, the trees are mature and healthy enough to withstand the psyllid attacks, or as some scientists have said - too healthy for any insect to attempt to eat or bite into.

I'll let you know how things work out - in Spring 2025.