Author Topic: Variegated sport on my Cara Cara  (Read 1230 times)

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
Variegated sport on my Cara Cara
« on: March 28, 2023, 08:52:54 PM »
Last year towards the end of the season when the late summer flush of new growth started I got a variegated sport show up on my Cara Cara.
Now that spring is here it has blossoms and is setting fruit on the variegated branch, they look like they will have the variegation also, I'm excited to see what they look like.
This tree is in a greenhouse right now and I will probably keep there until it gets to hot for it here in Arizona then put it outside.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Variegated sport on my Cara Cara
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 06:50:06 AM »
Interesting! As it seems the varigation is stabil. I am personally not so keen on varigated plants but I think you should definitely keep it and sell it as a new variety. There will be many people who will like it.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 08:21:58 AM »
Last year towards the end of the season when the late summer flush of new growth started I got a variegated sport show up on my Cara Cara.
Now that spring is here it has blossoms and is setting fruit on the variegated branch, they look like they will have the variegation also, I'm excited to see what they look like.

I think you should graft this sport on a rootstock to keep it stable. Otherwise it probably won't last.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 12:56:58 PM »
JJRO,  a variegated sport happens from time to time.  However, it happens more frequently with the variety Cara Cara.  Send us a picture when, and if, the variegated sport develops a mature fruit.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 01:33:35 PM »
We have a variegated Cara Cara from Plant it Hawaii

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 07:18:53 PM »
 Yes, I will be grafting it to some sour orange root stock as soon as its large enough to get a bud off of it.

Millet, yes I will be posting more pictures as things mature. Crossing my fingers that it will keep some fruit, it has 5 or 6 blossoms now and a couple have already formed a small fruit.

gordonh1

• Western Washington, zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 10:42:54 PM »
That's great, I hope you are able to get a successful graft. I would love to grow a variegated Cara Cara.

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 03:53:55 PM »
Here is what the fruit looks like today, still have 4, interestingly these are the only fruit on the entire tree, had some blossoms on another branch but they did not develop into any fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
Wow, very nice-looking fruits. When it ripens, please show the inside flesh.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 10:59:47 PM »
Yes, I will be grafting it to some sour orange root stock as soon as its large enough to get a bud off of it.

You might miss the variegation by using bud graft.
Graft the whole branch.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 11:45:23 PM »
Yes, good point Seanny, I would cut the scionwood to graft.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 04:02:31 AM »
I was advised that to successfully bud graft a variegated Citrus, you should choose buds with 50 to 70 % green, not the highly non pigmented parts of the stick.
They will stagnate after shooting out.
It probably depends on the pattern of variegation, ie wether it is regular or variable.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 04:41:17 AM »
I have never heard of that, but sounds right since pure albino or all yellow portions of most variegated citrus will not be as strong as the green/yellow or green/white sections or branches. But, I have successfully grafted scionwood of 100% yellow branches (4-8" long) and it is still growing after 2-3 yrs. The branch even had small fruits but they grow super slow, prefer variegated grafts myself. I have never done bud grafts so no experience with that method.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 05:13:51 AM »
I think it applies more to the case where the variegation is unstable or cyclic, not regular variegation patterns like green centre, yellow margins on every leaf.
Where the variegation phases or cycles, some parts of one shoot, and different leaves, will be more or less heavily variegated.
In those cases it may be better to choose greener buds, which can become more variegated shoots later.
Highly variegated parts may not get back to being more green later on, and lack growth ability.
I have also found various variegated sports over the years, but most simply gave up or got taken over by regular new shoots from below.
Probably I would hedge my bets and multi bud each rootstock with variegated buds.