Author Topic: New Recruits Winter Encampment  (Read 583 times)

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
New Recruits Winter Encampment
« on: November 12, 2022, 10:28:16 AM »
Trying this out this year on the southern edge of 8b. I'm like 95% confident it's gonna work but still kinda scared to try it. I bought a 10' tall pop up greenhouse for my young plants. By the mulch bags is a paver stone I am going to put a space heater with a smart plug so I can turn it on remotely based on what my weather station reports. Not pictured on the other side is a pot of dragon fruits I'm starting as well as a 7' tall in ground gros michel banana that I'm trying to keep the PS alive through the winter. This way everything still gets natural sunlight. Thoughts? Suggestions?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:31:10 AM by TheORKINMan »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: New Recruits Winter Encampment
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 10:41:30 AM »
same situation here! I got a space heater that's recommended for up to 200 sqft, I have it set to turn on whenever the soil in one of the pots is below 50. Seems to have worked really really well so far, but at first it didn't seem to do anything because I had a bunch of open spaces at the bottom. If you have any way to weigh down the bottom or cover it with a thin layer of soil (what I chose to do) it will work even better

best of luck!
instagram @trumansacco

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »
same situation here! I got a space heater that's recommended for up to 200 sqft, I have it set to turn on whenever the soil in one of the pots is below 50. Seems to have worked really really well so far, but at first it didn't seem to do anything because I had a bunch of open spaces at the bottom. If you have any way to weigh down the bottom or cover it with a thin layer of soil (what I chose to do) it will work even better

best of luck!

I have staked down the loops along the bottom of the greenhouse. We aren't quite into super cold weather here yet and it is noticeably warmer inside vs outside every time I've walked in. I do think I will likely duct tape the windows closed as there are still holes as its held close via a few velcro patches.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 10:54:29 AM »
sounds good, if you have any packing tape it might be easier to remove when next season arrives.

it was 33F yesterday and the lychees are still vigorously praising the sun, hopefully it will remain that way when the temps get closer to 10F  :P
instagram @trumansacco

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 11:02:53 AM »
Luckily we've never gotten that low since I've lived here in N FL. One year like 10 years ago it got to 19 for 1 night. Our usual coldest temp is 22-25 and only for a night or two. Fair amount of sub 35 nights in January and February though. Where are you located?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 07:15:35 PM by TheORKINMan »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 06:26:16 PM »
If you have a space heater you should have good luck beating the coldest days.  Remember that cold air infiltration is way more important than insulation value or latent heat.  Keep it well sealed!

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
Got to 37.5 last night in my yard and everything shrugged it off no problem and that was with the heater going off at midnight because I tripped on the plug on accident and didn't realize I unplugged it 😄

Good sign tho because that gros michel starts to yellow if you even give it a cold stare and it had no problems last night

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 02:30:28 PM »
I did a unheated greenhouse last year and had success here in Pensacola. Lychees, Ross sapote, mango, white sapote, and avocado. The only time I was really concerned was when it hit 27F and I put the mangos in the garage. I was too chicken  ;D The Ross sapote was the only one that got burned a couple of times when it got around 29 outside/32 inside. This year it is fruiting so no worries there! I think placement of the greenhouse can really make a difference. If you put it to where it will get the first rays of the morning sun, it will have much less time at the coldest temperatures.

I also try to keep it wide open during the day so they get the cool temps. 50s during the day and low 40s at night seems to stop them from pushing new growth. I think this allows them to harden off a bit so when it comes to almost freezing temps, they are already in survival mode. They aren't shocked.