Author Topic: Monstera deliciosa  (Read 1414 times)

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
Monstera deliciosa
« on: November 07, 2022, 09:38:57 PM »
Is anyone in here growing  this  amazing plant Monstera deliciosa for fruit ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYV1LZdXA0

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Monstera deliciosa
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:17:16 PM »
I think it's mainly grown as a houseplant.
I tried the fruit but kept getting tingles in my throat even though I waited for it to ripen completely.
Decent flavor like a pineapple but just not worth it in my opinion for fruit. For decoration yes. There are people paying thousands for the variegated ones. But for fruit? So many better ones.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:10:23 PM »
It grows here on the road and is a common landscaping plant.

The fruit is like overripe pineapple, which isn't so bad I guess. My main gripe is the oxalate shards.

Overripe pineapple fiberglass fruiit.

Maybe there are better varieties with less oxalate but anytime I've tasted even a little I got a scratchy throat.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:23 PM »
I gave up on mine.  It got too big and never made any fruit.  I have seen some the same size as mine or smaller with fruit, in containers, so I was hopeful.  I don't feel like overwintering it another year so I left it outside to die.  Though, so far it has survived multiple freezes and not really declined.  It gets below zero F here so it'll succumb eventually

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 11:31:03 PM »
same thoughts as everyone else, the fruit ripens concentrically down and can't really be eaten correctly, because no matter what you're either eating overripe fruit that is not fresh, one line of truly quality fruit, or unopened/underripe fruit that is poisonous.

I'd say it tastes in the same vein as a pineapple with the texture of a banana, but again, it's like 10-20% of the fruit that is truly 'ripe' at any given time. The overripe fruit might scratch your throat less if you're finding the ripe fruit to still do it, from what I understand the oxalates are broken down as the plant ripens but there is still a sizable amount
instagram @trumansacco

kittycatus

• USA, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 08:27:20 AM »
You can force the fruit to ripen completely by putting it in a cup and then placing another cup on top to completely seal it in. Then just wait until the scales fall off all at once.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 10:18:17 AM »
I used to grow them in my greenhouse and they always fruited. A lot. But they were also a weed, and just took over. I loved the fruit, and would ripen them in paper bags to avoid "the tingles". 

I think one key factor may be to let the aerial roots "go to ground", which mine did in a big way. Once that happens, they seemed to fruit continuously.  When I pulled mine out, there must have been a mat of forty feet of aerial roots under the bark on my greenhouse floor.

In addition to being a weed, they were mealy bug magnets. Then my birds discovered the fruit... apparently parrots are not sensitive to oxalates!

Now I just pick up baby plants real cheap, throw them into pots and jump back. When they hit about 4 ft tall I sell them as houseplants.

Carolyn

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 10:36:26 AM »
I grow one here in 9B and basically just let it do its thing. Its on the east side of a scrub oak and is gradually growing up it and it about 8 foot tall. I have had fruit several times but the animals beat me too it. It get burned in winter pretty bad but comes right back.

If you have an oak tree and dont really care, I would say plant it and leave it alone. If it has fruit great, if not, then its not in  the way and isnt hurting anything.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »
Anybody ever notice any seeds in their fruit?  They are the size of peas.  I've eaten several fruits here in Southern California but have never found any seeds.  I'm guessing that the flower needs to be pollinated (crossed or selfed) in order to produce seeds?  It's kinda strange though that a plant will spend so much energy producing fruit that doesn't have any seeds. 

My Thai Constellation flowered recently.  When the spathe started opening I cut it off entirely and pollinated the spadix using pollen from a friend's albo.  However the next day or two I noticed a greater quantity of nectar on the spadix so I think that I should have waited or saved some pollen. 

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 04:53:46 PM »
Hope you all had a great weekend.  It is great to hear everyone from differences growing zone talking about this plant.  I have researched about this plant and have growing it for over 20+ years for fruit production as well for ornamental purposes here at Northern California Zone 9. We have a small yard that design to be a little food forest. This plant came from South America well known for its exotic delicious taste by the local.  Deliciosa is mean delicious. "It was introduced to England in 1752, Singapore in 1877, and India in 1878. The fruit was introduced to the US in 1874."

There are more than one variety of this plant. The 2 varieties that people talking/debating about are Monstera deliciosa (large form) and Monstera borsigiana (small form)  the same or not. Check the video in the link for more information differences about these two plants. Although sometime Monstera borsigiana has large leaf, but most of its characters still remain different from Monstera deliciosa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBprGjzCSGg

From a seedling to a mature plant for fruit production, it would take about 3 to 4 years under the right conditions. From flower to mature fruit for harvest would take about 1+year. Right conditions mean that, it needs right amount of sunlight (filter sun, no shade) with good air circulation. This is why most of plant were grown indoor do not produce fruit. Other reason is that if the plant gets big and you cut the top off, then the remain stem will set sometime back to younger growth stage. The mature top growth is the one that would continue growing to produce flower and fruit.  A mid cut, bottom of main mature plant will produce younger growth.

Although 2 varieties produce similar flowers and fruits, but Monstera deliciosa (large form) is the one best for fruit production / taste. The art is to ID this variety correctly, know when and how to harvest it for the best taste. Unripe fruit can be very toxic.  Fruit only ripens each section at a time 1 to 3 inches up from the bottom fruit where its stem meet. Fruit green scales need to be fall off naturally.  These are some ways you can let fruit ripe correctly in video bellow.  The best one is the one with paper or paper bag. It covered the fruit, but still allow some oxygen to enter, that let the fruit ripen section by section (no more than 3 inches at a time).  With plastic, it will ripen faster with large area to eat, but it will not taste good where its flesh ripens above 3 inches or so. Basically, you want it to ripen section by section.  If you buy fruit or harvest your own fruit from your plant, fruit need to be pick at mature stage as possible. A young fruit will ripen just like mature fruit after picked, but it won't taste good. Remember it will take about a year + from flower to mature fruit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9cstES-38Q

So why I am growing this plant. It has beautiful leaf+ hard to find exotic tasting fruit. It gives a look and meaning of a food forest and not just an orchard. If harvest and process correctly, then fruit taste like a combination of Annona, banana, pineapple +jackfruit.... the smell is strongly with tropical fruit.  There are so many videos on YouTube for taste reviews. Not to mention the price of a fruit very high ( 25 $ - 80$ each ) at this time. It may not for everybody to grow, but the one that has experienced with the right condition would understand.

Jaboticaba45 , Yes in colder growing zone bellow Zone 9, then this plant remains mostly as houseplant. Wonder if you got the right fruit that were pick at the right time.... It should not be ripened completely. It should be ripened section at a time. Even with harvest and process correctly Monstera borsigiana does not taste good. Got to be Monstera deliciosa (large form) Yea the variegated plant very high price for its ornamental purpose. Do you have photo, information of the plant you got your fruit from? please

Vegan Potato Man, I have talked to people in Hawaii. Some love the taste, and some does not. People that don't like it most were collected fruit from roadside which they cannot tell if they got their fruit from the right plant. I have asked for photo to ID the plant, but they did not have it. There are people there did not know the difference between Monstera deliciosa vs split leaf Philodendron. What they showed to me was split leaf Philodendron. Would you share photo of the plant you saw with us for ID please.

brian, it may not fruit well in a green house without the growing condition. If the plant is too big, usually I would air layer the mature top and keep the mature top growth for better growth of its age. Wow It died back but still survived in that cold weather. Amazing ..  Do you have photo of its mature leaf /whole plant?  The people you see that has smaller plant with fruit in a pot, then most likely their plants were propagated from a mature top. Any photo of the plant you saw with fruit in pot as well please.

tru,  The right variety, harvest and process the fruit correctly is an art form.

kittycatus, Yes you can make fruit completely ripen in a closed plastic bag or in a sealed cup. Cover with paper and let it ripen section by section at a time and eat only that ripen section to see if its taste better than a full ripe fruit. For us a whole fruit fully ripen at one time is not a good fruit.

Daintree, great information to grow it in a greenhouse for those whom in a cold climate. Yes, it can be supper size and could take over green house space. Wish you could have air layer the top and grow it to keep the plant manageable size for fruit production and propagate the rest sold as houseplant. Fruit can be cover and mealy bug can be treated. Do you have photo of the old plant in your green house.  Love to see its size...please

Tropheus76, yea best places to grow them is under a large tree or structure somewhat protect them from hot full sun to cold weather. Have you ever tried to cover the fruit? Photos of your plant please.

Epiphyte, yes, I have seen its seed. Grow it in our zone very difficult for fruit to have seed. In its native land, it has insect/bug pollinate its flower. I have seen people in that tropical location had fruit full of seeds. Good luck with your propagation. ... would you please share photos of your plants.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 05:07:59 PM »
You can force the fruit to ripen completely by putting it in a cup and then placing another cup on top to completely seal it in. Then just wait until the scales fall off all at once.

Very interesting! I've somehow never heard of this, will try ASAP. Thanks so much
instagram @trumansacco

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 07:58:25 PM »
I used to grow them in my greenhouse and they always fruited. A lot. I loved the fruit, and would ripen them in paper bags to avoid "the tingles". 

I think one key factor may be to let the aerial roots "go to ground", which mine did in a big way. Once that happens, they seemed to fruit continuously.  When I pulled mine out, there must have been a mat of forty feet of aerial roots under the bark on my greenhouse floor.

Hmmm, I'm hoping most of these newbys are not bots.....Hoping they will actually post on other threads in the future. Oh well, at least 4 regulars posted so here's my take on it.

I Agree with most of Carolyn (Daintree) views.

I have many growing outdoors on oak trees and the ground. They grow up the tree and will send aerial roots straight down sometimes 20 ft. Pretty impressive. But I never climb the trees as plenty on the ground also under the oaks.

I can NOT imagine putting it in a cup with a cup on top as mine are long and 2 cups would be short... I would never do this.

I put them into a paper bag (like Carolyn) when they turn from darker green to a lighter green and they ripen usually in 3 to 7 days. However I have so many I just walk around the ground & find one with ripe fruit and yes it starts usually scaling off from one end. Often I only eat a small amount & discard the rest or can put in a paper bag to finish ripening. Fruiting is easy and consistant and nothing to do to help it fruit.

My take on taste::: About 10 years ago at a mango sampling, the winner was usually the stongest tasting fruit as on a toothpick and just a dab... Well, if one or two segments of this were on the toothpick I think it would have won or tied as winner over all the mangos as it is so strong. It has a pineapple/banana taste but as mentioned the oxalic acid has side effects. Now if you tried another fruit after tasting the Monstera it would be a much blander taste to the wonderful mangos like even sweet tart due to the oxalic acid...

I dare people to eat two of my whole over foot long Monstera Deliciosa fruit  within 30 minutes... lol... Your lips/tongue/mouth/ would all feel almost raw after the experience... I do enjoy eating a very few kernals as then this effect does not occur for me.

I would never eat these before wanting to enjoy and taste for the first time a new mango variety as your taste perception will not be right after eating even a few kernals... But a few kernals are a good pineapple/banana taste if you stop at that point and do NOT consume a large amount especially slowly as you will just feel worse the slower and longer it sits on your tissues in your mouth/throat...

A pretty plant and a good novelty item to surprise people with the editable philodendron.... Also the very young fruit has a pretty white wraping around it at first before it turns darker green. As mentioned the plant looks very tropical  and will grow in partial shade with no problems.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:22:44 PM by palmcity »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 12:59:24 AM »
I am growing 2 of those in my greenhouse, inground. They are still small plants though with one of them awready making gigantic leaves at its second year since it was started from a cutting. I wonder how to train them in the future and will probably try to guide them to grow on the ground as opposed to having them vertical on a trellis, as this will shade my other sun loving plants.
Ive seen them fruiting at a botanical garden here ,the plant was not very big and had quite a few fruit on it, growing in full sun in a gh, havent asked the people there if they ate it but i assume they do .
I really want to try the fruit , hopefully someday from my plants ...

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 04:31:52 AM »
We had one in the carport as kids back in the mid 70's. First Taste of Home grown Tropical Fruit.
The arial roots, I still remember when a family friend came over with their Fox Terrier, It went absolutely crazy attacking the roots, as if they were snakes.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
is there a male or female plant in monsteras? I have about 30 mature ones all propagated from one plant bought in an ornamental nursery, with leaves size of a 5-year old child, very happy mature 7-year old plants, never fruited. My friend's monstera fruits constantly, I probably should have taken a cutting from her instead, hmmm
Maybe a sterile cultivar was created for ornamental purposes? I know it happens a lot with fruiting plants, to prevent vermin in ornamental beds.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Vegan Potato Man, I have talked to people in Hawaii. Some love the taste, and some does not. People that don't like it most were collected fruit from roadside which they cannot tell if they got their fruit from the right plant. I have asked for photo to ID the plant, but they did not have it. There are people there did not know the difference between Monstera deliciosa vs split leaf Philodendron. What they showed to me was split leaf Philodendron. Would you share photo of the plant you saw with us for ID please.

I don't have a photo but it was definitely monstera and not split leaf philodendron. They are very distinct plants in both leaf and fruit characteristics, at least to me.

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 04:19:45 PM »
The calcium oxalate crystals aren't a problem if you know how to eat them. (info above on that ).   Don't eat too much at one time,as it is a laxative.  They grow easily from cuttings, not really necessary to air layer.  I like them.  Also completely pest free here, and have had no problems with animals or birds
eating the fruit ,unless you let them ripen on the plant.   Best picked when the basal scales have some yellow visible between them ,easy to see with a bit of experience with the plant.

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 07:19:44 PM »
is there a male or female plant in monsteras? I have about 30 mature ones all propagated from one plant bought in an ornamental nursery, with leaves size of a 5-year old child, very happy mature 7-year old plants, never fruited. My friend's monstera fruits constantly, I probably should have taken a cutting from her instead, hmmm
Maybe a sterile cultivar was created for ornamental purposes? I know it happens a lot with fruiting plants, to prevent vermin in ornamental beds.

No individual male and female plant. The one that were propagated from tissue culture is Variegated Monstera deliciosa 'Thai constellation' . It just propagated with a massive number plants for the market in a well sterilization environment.  Got nothing to go with GMO . 

Your plants have not produced fruit yet ...  Could be the location, materials or the way you propagated or other things.

Yes I would get your friend plant rooted top cut if they let you. Would you please share photo of your plants and your friend plants ..... Most of information that I share here in my video bellow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0tLjzfzC34

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 08:51:30 PM »
GrowerA,

Thanks for sharing the videos.  Very informative and I was able to confirm I have a deliciosa and not a borsigiana.  Looking forward to my plants fruiting someday.

Your instagram page is beautiful, such amazing plants!  Really stunning and inspiring! 

Janet

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 01:50:05 AM »
JCorte, 

Glad my information helps you and other. Thanks for your kind words. We still have lot to learn from Mother Nature.  Wish your plant growing well and set fruit for you soon.

You are welcome.  Happy planting to you.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 04:50:12 PM »
Pineapple taste is good.Mine is a heavy producer. Let the scales open before harvest.