Author Topic: Tetraploid Citranges  (Read 845 times)

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Tetraploid Citranges
« on: December 29, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering what happens when you double the chromosome number of a citrange. Will it be more tasty or more hardy? Has anybody an idea or even practical experience? I am a bit inspired by kumins seedlings but do not no if the tetraploid state of one of his hybrids matters.

I have by the way drunken my first pot of Morton Lemonade. Outstandingly good! Very tasty! The trick was to let the juice stand open for one night so that the (weak) Poncirus off-flavours faded away. (That also works well with pure poncirus juice if you don't use the bottom fraktion of the juice with the poncirin.)

I am curious now what will happen if I make for example the Morton citrange tetraploid. Will it be even better or more hardy?

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Tetraploid Citranges
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »
I did grad work in genetics but I was studying vegetables and grain so this might not appply to citrus.  If anyone does know the effects of tetraploidy in citrus, listen to them, not me.
In vegetables, a few species have more vitamin  C in the tetraploid than the diploid.  But generally the difference is small or none at all.
In grains, wheat, rye and barley, tetraploids tend to be slightly less cold hardy than the same variety at the diploid level.  That is for rye (Secale cereali), barley (Horeun sativa) which are normally diploid.  Wheat (Triticum species) has diploid, tetraploid, and hexaploid species.  In Triticum, we can't directly compare diploid vs higher ploidy because there has been centuries of selection for different climates so the genetics is much more important than ploidy.

So I expect the difference between diploid and tetraploid citranges to be small.  But there are a few plant families that don't follow the general rules.  So it is possible citrus don't follow these general rules.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 04:35:17 PM »
PRIME PubMed
Tetraploid Carrizo citrange rootstock (Citrus sinensis Osb.×Poncirus trifoliata L. Raf.) enhances natural chilling stress tolerance of common clementine (Citrus clementina Hort. ex Tan).
J Plant Physiol. 2017 Jul; 214:108-115.
JP
Abstract
Low temperatures can disturb the development, growth and geographic distribution of plants, particularly cold-sensitive plants in the Mediterranean area, where temperatures can reach seasonally low levels. In citrus crops, scion/rootstock combinations are used to improve fruit production and quality, and increase tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses. In the last decade, several studies have shown that tetraploid citrus seedlings or rootstocks are more tolerant to abiotic stress than their respective diploid. The objective of this study was to test whether the use of tetraploid rootstocks can improve the chilling tolerance of the scion. We compared physiological and biochemical responses to low seasonal temperatures of common Clementine (Citrus sinensis Osb.×Poncirus trifoliata L. Raf.) grafted on diploid and tetraploid Carrizo citrange rootstocks, named C/2xCC and C/4xCC, respectively. During the coldest months, C/4xCC showed a smaller decrease in net photosynthesis (Pn), stomatal conductance (Gs), chlorophyll fluorescence (Fv/Fm), and starch levels, and lower levels of malondialdehyde and electrolyte leakage than C/2xCC. Specific activities of catalase (CAT), ascorbate peroxidase (APX) and dehydroascorbate reductase (DHAR) were higher in C/4xCC during the cold period, whereas chlorophyll, proline, ascorbate and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) levels and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity did not vary significantly between C/4xCC and C/2xCC throughout the study period. Taken together, these results demonstrate that tetraploid Carrizo citrange rootstock improves the chilling tolerance of common clementine (scion) thanks to a part of the antioxidant system.

Tetraploid Citrus may have increased cold tolerance. My very hardiest F2 Citrange is a tetraploid (Conestoga 011).

011 as a young seedling.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:03:16 PM by kumin »

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:20:56 PM »
Good information.  Thank you.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »
Tetraploid plants have larger stomata than diploid plants.  I am looking for a way to view them to compare.  There are add on magnifiers that can be used on smart phones, and regular microscopes.  Has anyone tried this method and what are their experiences?

I have a couple of non bearing trees that look just like a satsuma but did well in the latest cold. Low was 8 F, -13 C.   Leaves are not curled.  I can't tell yet if this is or is not a hardy response.  At the moment it appears that the cold was not severe enough to really separate the hardiest trees from the less cold tolerant.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 03:02:32 AM »
There exists  rather simple way to visualize stomata.
link
Best regards,
                       Ilya

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 02:49:28 PM »
IVIA in Spain has several tetraploid rootstock varieties.
By chance I found 2 or 3 rootstocks that are probably tetraploid. They seem to be cold tolerant at least this winter.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 05:06:00 PM »
https://ivia.gva.es/va/busqueda-por-orden-alfabetico-nombres-comunes

e.g.

IVIA-387    Citrange Carrizo
IVIA-503    Citrange Carrizo (4x)