Author Topic: What to plant north of my house?  (Read 547 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
What to plant north of my house?
« on: October 06, 2022, 07:54:31 PM »
I'm thinking about what to plant immediately to the north of my house - just a few feet from the wall. Technically, it's not due north, but a bit northwest, so I get a very small amount of afternoon sun even in December. I was going to plant ginger there, but have been thinking about some other ideas. One thought I had was to plant some tropical persimmon seeds and see what happens. I figure it won't have leaves when that area gets a very small amount of sunlight. Plus they don't grow that big. What do you think? What other plants can I try? Something that doesn't grow too big and will play nice with my foundation.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What to plant north of my house?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:32 PM »
Tumeric, taro, malaga, belembe & pineapple. Persimmon will probably fruit very little in shade.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 09:20:40 PM »
Was thinking the same re persimmon; ours doesn't do much and it gets a bit of sun. Obvious by how, where, and when it vegetates that it is not receiving enough light.

I would look at lemon drop garcinia, some jabos, loquat, and maybe carambola. Cacao might do well, a long as it doesn't get too cold or windy. There are some eugenias that can do well with low light.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »
Turmeric is a much better and nicer looking (foliage) planting than ginger/ Swing by Mi Campo Farmer’s Market (Tamarac) at $4 a pound. Plant in at least one pound plantings. 1/2 pound was, worked out, not that good. I would do a 2lb planting these days. My turmeric foliage is lovely. Images upon request.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/florida/mi-campo-farmers-market-426985422
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:16:12 AM by zands »