Author Topic: Kampong Avocado soo good this year  (Read 1251 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Kampong Avocado soo good this year
« on: October 20, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »
Picked around October 10. This year they are spectacularly clean. The flavor 10++++. For those who value creaminess, AAA. Just clean tasting avocado,
Lacks the Catalina, Nishikawa and to some extend Oro Negro boiled egg taste that I don't like.   Delight on avocado toast or as side dish.  May be climate change is going to benefit some old varieties.
I wonder why this is not in every nursery in Florida, instead of the latest hype. On the late season spectrum this beats Monroe, Choquette, Lula, Hall. Not sure about the cold hardiness but has a lot of Guatemalan in it.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 01:21:19 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Kampong Avocado soo good this year
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
Are they just coming into season now, Carlos, and until when?  Consistency of production from year to year?  How heavy do they bear?  Is the tree large, or how would you describe it?  (Have you tried Lara's Improved Pollock that Julian raves about?)  Thanks!
John

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:33:21 PM »
Nice looking avocado picture looks like it would be rich creamy for sure!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
There are definitely ready now. Season is October to unk. I will pay more attention this year. 
Does not bear consistent every year. But for a homeowner is fine you are going to have really good fruit for two months. Really how many can you eat.
Is not a small tree. I have it growing between two Monroes so is king of box-in. Will get another tree going at a better location.
No I have not tried the improved Pollock
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:59:26 PM »
There are definitely ready now. Season is October to unk. I will pay more attention this year. 
Does not bear consistent every year. But for a homeowner is fine you are going to have really good fruit for two months. Really how many can you eat.
Is not a small tree. I have it growing between two Monroes so is king of box-in. Will get another tree going at a better location.

Wow I thought the season for Kampong was later.  I will definitely want to try some this year, have never gotten the chance.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »
Wow I thought the season for Kampong was later.  I will definitely want to try some this year, have never gotten the chance.
Going through all the information I could find after googling, it would seem they are capable of staying on the tree and having a long season.  The reason I asked about Lara's Improved Pollock is that Fruitful Trees did a video on that variety recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JswsoWlMepE), and both Paul and Julian were going nuts over how great it tastes, and Julian said it branches very low to the ground almost like a vine so it can easily be trained to be a dwarf.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 10:25:23 PM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:18:41 PM »
any of these cados for sale? might want to grab some budwood as well, when the time is right

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 07:48:58 AM »

Julie, I have found out that the length of time a fruit hangs in the tree is not necessarily related to fruit quality. Some fruit can hang on the tree while quality deteriorates.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »
Picked around October 10. This year they are spectacularly clean. The flavor 10++++. For those who value creaminess, AAA. Just clean tasting avocado,
Lacks the Catalina, Nishikawa and to some extend Oro Negro boiled egg taste that I don't like.   Delight on avocado toast or as side dish.  May be climate change is going to benefit some old varieties.
I wonder why this is not in every nursery in Florida, instead of the latest hype. On the late season spectrum this beats Monroe, Choquette, Lula, Hall. Not sure about the cold hardiness but has a lot of Guatemalan in it.

Hello! I top-worked a large seedling to Kampong and this year it's holding it's first fruit. Mine look way more pear shaped than the one in your photo and other pics I've seen of the variety - have you seen this shape in Kampong before? Also, any hints on when to know if they're ready to pick? With Pollack we usually just wait for them to starts dropping.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 09:49:38 AM »
Bumping this so it doesn't get lost...

zetiso

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 04:14:15 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 06:57:53 AM by JakeFruit »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 11:28:45 AM »
Approximate date of final picking of last year's crop?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:16:46 PM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »
The question is which is the real Kampong?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk