Author Topic: Any quick comments on Orange Sherbet mango productivity?  (Read 2735 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Any quick comments on Orange Sherbet mango productivity?
« on: August 27, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
Hi,
I just might buy an OS tree.
My question is how is it as a producer each year? For South Florida conditions, is OS reliable to produce each year?
Many thanks for comments

I know the fruit gets high ratings etc.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Any quick comments on Orange Sherbet mango productivity?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »
I visited Dr. Campbells place in July and his Orange Sherbet trees were loaded with fruit. Out of approximately 300 mango trees 40 were Orange Sherbet. He was discussing plans to possibly commercialize it with a company he works for. He spoke very highly of this cultivar, it was near the top of his must plant list.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:17:43 AM »
I visited Dr. Campbells place in July and his Orange Sherbet trees were loaded with fruit. Out of approximately 300 mango trees 40 were Orange Sherbet. He was discussing plans to possibly commercialize it with a company he works for. He spoke very highly of this cultivar, it was near the top of his must plant list.
Very, very helpful. Thanks! What size were his Orange Sherbet trees?

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
To me a Top 3 mango.  Plant that tree now Zands.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
Plant it after this hurricane.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
I’m glad I landed a nice size OS! It’s growing very well & healthy , I m going to include OS grafts onto my Top Work Project Francis Hargrave Mango tree 👍
Zone 10

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »

All kept under 8 ft tall. Impressive. It’s his most dominant tree for good reason. Taste, disease resistance and production hit the trifecta.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
All kept under 8 ft tall. Impressive. It’s his most dominant tree for good reason. Taste, disease resistance and production hit the trifecta.
By dominant you mean Dr Campbell has more of OS planted than any other mango tree? And you saw their (OS) superior production? Asking because I looked at the OS tree again at the nursery today and it is pretty much a 3 gallon tree in a 7 gallon black pot and of course me having to pay 7 gallon prices for it. I would have bought it today but the price seemed unreasonable. Maybe I should count my lucky stars. In California this OS would go for $150 given the OS reputation that precedes it. Plus it would be on turpentine rootstock that does not work out so well in Southern California.

FWIW I keep all my mango trees at 15ft tall with a few exceptions at 16-19 ft tall
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:22:58 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
I’m glad I landed a nice size OS! It’s growing very well & healthy , I m going to include OS grafts onto my Top Work Project Francis Hargrave Mango tree 👍

The OS I can buy is not nearly as nice as yours. If I remember right you got a great deal on an OS that was sitting around at the nursery and being ignored by customers and not being bought.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32525.0
Found yr new planted OS tree thread via bing search. Everyone ditch google search!   I use bing which  is 95% as good. I am forced to resort to google once a week for super difficult stuff.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:32:18 PM by zands »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
I just got one at Fruitscapes. It’s fairly large, was in a 15 gallon I think I paid like $135??  I can post a pic if it would help.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
By dominant you mean Dr Campbell has more of OS planted than any other mango tree? And you saw their (OS) superior production? Asking because I looked at the OS tree again at the nursery today and it is pretty much a 3 gallon tree in a 7 gallon black pot and of course me having to pay 7 gallon prices for it. I would have bought it today but the price seemed unreasonable. Maybe I should count my lucky stars. In California this OS would go for $150 given the OS reputation that precedes it. Plus it would be on turpentine rootstock that does not work out so well in Southern California.

FWIW I keep all my mango trees at 15ft tall with a few exceptions at 16-19 ft tall
. Yes and yes.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks all for all the info on Orange Sherbet. I finally bought it today. It is a bit willowy but it looks like it has not been languishing in the three gallon pot. The graft looks good. Willowy but branching out at a low height which = a plus in my book. Thanks for all the information on Dr Campbell planting lots of OS trees. It was kind of hard not to buy n plant OS after reading what Future and Mango Country had to say about this.

I will plant it today or tomorrow.
I might top off the top 6-12 inches. Should I? Even if I do this will not be done until it has been planted for a few weeks.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:07:40 AM by zands »

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »
Looks good! You could take a little off of the central leader to get some more branching.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 05:17:06 AM »
Looks good! You could take a little off of the central leader to get some more branching.

Once more, many thanks for your Doc Campbell insider advisement on his many OS plantings in his upcoming orchard and mango tourist destination. No sarcasm here. He has done his labor at Fairchild.

Cutting is forever so plant first and then maybe cut central leader. Thanks for looking at my photos and advising.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
. Totally agree. Leggy. I’d cut 15 inches above those first branches unless other branches have already started. Otherwise just top it avoiding cutting too close to any growth rings (I seek to cut below them or at least 6 inches above.)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
Great looking tree enjoy!

Ed
Zone 10