Author Topic: YUN CHANG Pruning Shears -- Anyone tried these? The price is right/  (Read 2347 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
YUN CHANG Pruning Shears Hand Pruner Garden Shears Pruners for Gardening
https://www.amazon.com/YunChang-Pruning-Shears-Pruner-Scissors/dp/B085B1NPSJ?th=1

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I haven’t tried those pruners but I can recommend this one.

ARS HP-VS8Z Signature Heavy Duty Pruner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q4LU1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_15TGTP9QFGFKZV95CD6R

Very sharp, high quality pruners.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Felco.  'Nuff said
- Rob

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Felco.  'Nuff said

After start using Felco, recycled the other one I had

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
That Wang Chung brand looks to low ball for use.I don't even think I would get those for the help.ARS are pretty good ,but the long reach cut and hold for picking lychees are not as good as the ones they made like 10 years ago.But I did order some ARS today as their is no good Alt.I was using a new FELCO 822 electric pruning shears  with pole today that was the bomb!Fast....

sttmike

• st.thomas, vi
    • View Profile
i have used felco for years and was quite happy with them, but i tried the ''Okatsune 103 Bypass Pruners General Purpose Medium'' last year and like them even better. 

i find them more comfortable to use, easier to open and close with the latch on the bottom and they hold an edge better than the felco (which would still be my favorite if i hadn't come across these).

https://www.amazon.com/Okatsune-Bypass-Pruners-General-Purpose/dp/B001Y54F88

also, i found this website to be interesting and have a lot of useful information:

https://www.niwaki.com/blog/2013/11/20/which-secateurs/

best,

mike

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
thanks for pointing this out, zands.  When there's such a large price difference between non-name chinese sellers and renowned quality I always try the cheap stuff first and see how it does.  Often it is just fine, and if not then I try the expensive kind.  I was just thinking I needed more pruners because I keep leaving mine all around the house and my wife uses them too.  It looks like the black color version of the link you posted is now only $8.50... I ordered two.  I'll let you know how they are

https://www.amazon.com/YunChang-Pruning-Shears-Pruner-Scissors/dp/B085T3H4NK
$16.99 & "50% off with promo code U9D4NZKY"

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Felco... 
Brad Spaugh

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
thanks for pointing this out, zands.  When there's such a large price difference between non-name chinese sellers and renowned quality I always try the cheap stuff first and see how it does.  Often it is just fine, and if not then I try the expensive kind.  I was just thinking I needed more pruners because I keep leaving mine all around the house and my wife uses them too.  It looks like the black color version of the link you posted is now only $8.50... I ordered two.  I'll let you know how they are

https://www.amazon.com/YunChang-Pruning-Shears-Pruner-Scissors/dp/B085T3H4NK
$16.99 & "50% off with promo code U9D4NZKY"

Thanks Brain,

I have a Felco but can't resist a deal buy one get one free.
Thanks for the promo code, I ordered 2 to give it a try. 

Al
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:30:19 PM by pinkturtle »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
I have 4 Felco pruners and I really thought them the best until I got a nice Japanese pair.  I have the two mentioned and prefer them over Felco.  Like with the Silky saw, the Japanese have the best cutting tools in my experience.
Peter

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: YUN CHANG Pruning Shears -- Anyone tried these? The price is right/
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 02:37:29 PM »
After I got my ARS pruners, I only use my Felcos for non important plants. The ARS pruners are noticeably sharper and retains the edge better from what I’ve experienced so far.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
Probably many already know this but there are two ways for getting larger diameter cutting power out of any garden shears.
#1--- Bend the branch then cut right into where the bending action is. You get an instant snap off.
#2--- Cut into, seize into a 1" branch with your shears but go circular with your shears, cutting into all the while. IOW don't clamp into with brute force, don't try to cut this way for thick branches. Use your IQ.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »
Probably many already know this but there are two ways for getting larger diameter cutting power out of any garden shears.
#1--- Bend the branch then cut right into where the bending action is. You get an instant snap off.
#2--- Cut into, seize into a 1" branch with your shears but go circular with your shears, cutting into all the while. IOW don't clamp into with brute force, don't try to cut this way for thick branches. Use your IQ.

For larger stuff I used a folding felco hand saw.  For really big stuff I got a Makita electric chainsaw that rocks. 
Brad Spaugh

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 10:43:06 PM »
For thinning and picking I use Okatsune Japan No. 306 Thinning shears with Rounded Tip.For bigger cuts I'm now using all electric pruning shears ,I just need speed as I am doing thousands of cuts a day."The need for speed",they even have carbon fiber poles,you think they can pull some low 9s ?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 04:14:12 PM »
Just arrived.  They seem nice enough.  At first I thought the handles were plastic but I scratched some paint off and it looks like they are solid aluminum. 

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 10:58:17 PM »
Received today.  They look good.  Able to pruned a quarter ($0.25) size orange tree branch without any issue/force.  The picture is a dime, but I tried a quarter size after that.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:10:39 PM by pinkturtle »

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:41 PM »
I have Pruning Shears like is one I'm being using for years and been working well . The metal spring to doesn't fall off that is something that happens and I always hate on a lot of cheap pruning shears . Some is maybe a good try out .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08TLXNQ9S/ref=sspa_mw_detail_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
Just arrived.  They seem nice enough.  At first I thought the handles were plastic but I scratched some paint off and it looks like they are solid aluminum. 

After newness wears off and shears are not "virginal", I spray the handles red, orange, yellow. Whatever makes them more difficult to misplace. Can you say the length on these from tip to bottom of the handle? Good idea to spray the steel blades with WD-40 after using. Everything rusts down here. Some quickly, some slowly. Alternatively wrap in a plastic bag to keep the (moist) air out.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
I measure 21cm from tip to tail

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »
I measure 21cm from tip to tail

8.26771654 inches. Longer the better for leverage on 1" branches. Ones I bought last year are nice but are short of 8 inches. At Amazon I see Felco hand pruners at 8.25 and 8.9 inches. There are other Felcos too.

Ayaan12345

• Barishal Bangladesh
    • View Profile
    • Garden world
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
Awesome! They seem good enough.  At first I guessed the handles were light aluminum but I close observation I found  they are solid aluminum. 

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »
These rust easliy, the steel is probably low-chromium fake stainless.  However, they are fine otherwise and I keep them oiled as best I can to minimize rust.

Greenthumb

• USA, ca/riverside 9a
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:38:14 AM by JakeFruit »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2022, 06:22:34 PM »
YUN CHANG Pruning Shears Hand Pruner Garden Shears Pruners for Gardening
https://www.amazon.com/YunChang-Pruning-Shears-Pruner-Scissors/dp/B085B1NPSJ?th=1

Looks to be reasonably high quality to me.
I did notice from the pics on Whamamazon that the blade is fixed into the handle, not replaceable, looking at the pics from both sides of the tool.
That is a handy manufacturing shortcut, while still using quality materials, to make a cheaper price point product
The last pair of Lowe secauters I bought in Australia was $ 120, replacement blades are $40.
That is similar for all brands, not cheap.
Unfortunately the prices of quality tools in Australia is a cartel / tax on business.
That is Australia at times, why sell 200 units at $50, when you can sell 100 units at $ 100.
Wages are higher than USA, and tools for workers are personable tax deductible.
I did buy some similar types of Aliexpress, impressed with quality, but the main blade retaining nut loosened in use till I tightened it properly.
If you look at high quality secauters, some of the Chinese versions can have minor design faults compared to known brands.
The ones I have bought are not cheap rubbish ( some certainly are ), but yet to fully test them over a few months.
I can't imagine that Chinese horticultural workers are busting away using $ 5 secauters, and not professional tools, at least these days.

Zion506

• Jungle farming
  • Use fruit fasts to cure the body of all dis-eases
    • Talamanca, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2022, 12:13:23 AM »
Those Okatsune pruners look nice but the reviews are all over the place on cramazon. Seems like it’s hit or miss if you actually get the Japanese version. Anyone know any Japanese fixed blade pruners? I go thorough so many pruners and my biggest complaint is them constantly loosening themselves. I know you need to be able to separate in order to sharpen but I can’t stand when they constantly loosen. I’ve gotten to the point where I jb weld the screw part to cut it with a grinder when needed, but still I have the loosen problems. My saws are Japanese so it’s about time to spend some more money on the better pruners even though I need a few.

Any suggestions for fixed pruners or for a dependable cramazon sellee that doesn’t sell knock-offs?
Humans are frugivores. Until they begin to eat inside of their species range, they will never achieve health and vitality.