Author Topic: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.  (Read 9035 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:21:24 AM »
What makes bottom tier?
Low productivity.
Fungus and disease prone.
Too much fiber. Though grafted known varieties should not have fiber. I once had some seedling mangos that were very full of fiber. Tasted good though.

If you have a large space to plant trees then a few inferior or experimental mango trees is  OK. But most here have limited suburban spaces, and cannot afford to waste it on sub-par plantings of any kind.

For some fun here   -- You can list mango trees you planted. That when fruiting they were a disappointment. So you either cut them down or top worked them. I have seen here postings,  a few Indian mango trees that gave fruit that was deemed too much carrot taste. It got the chop. Is carroty a word? Yes, so fruits that were too carroty.

Miguel of Miami was raging at a  Haden tree that he got as mislabeled. So Haden should kick this off.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
Haden can actually be a very good fruit, but the tree and its disease susceptibility make it bottom tier as far as actually growing them. Some of its many descendants are much better overall.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
Diamond, TA, Hatcher...and have to add Carrie and its cohorts  (Angie, Ugly Betty).

As far as "carroty" as some say is found in Mallika, I would say that learning when to pick and ripen will make all the difference in the world.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 12:44:29 PM »
Rosigold - way too bland tasting
Alfonso - doesn’t taste good here in S. Fla

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »
Rosigold - way too bland tasting
Alfonso - doesn’t taste good here in S. Fla

Agreed with Rosi.  I guess I can agree with Alfonso grown in Florida since I haven't tried anything good.
- Rob

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »
I'd add Rapoza - slightly fibrous near the stone, mediocre taste. Beautiful fruit though.
And an unpopular opinion - Coconut Cream - IF you have limited space. Top 10 taste, mid-tier looks, but cellar dweller production. Also floppy growth habit..

I've heard you may have to wait a while for production to pick up. Well, I am on year 8 and I have harvested a total of a dozen or so fruit in the last three years. Your mileage may vary though...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
And an unpopular opinion - Coconut Cream - IF you have limited space. Top 10 taste, mid-tier looks, but cellar dweller production. Also floppy growth habit..

I've heard you may have to wait a while for production to pick up. Well, I am on year 8 and I have harvested a total of a dozen or so fruit in the last three years. Your mileage may vary though...
[/quote]

Saw a pic on FB of a FL grower who has the most beautiful CC tree. Well formed and nice canopy, doesn't look lanky, but good and wide and not too tall (12 - 15 feet?). Pm'd them, was told their secret was regular pruning.

Tree was covered in clean fruit. Will see if I can repost the pic. Gave me hope, not giving up on CC

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 01:29:43 PM »
That's encouraging. I imagine it is at least that age or older?

I'm not giving up. Then again, I have an acre, multiple producing trees, and patience. If I were in a zero-lot home with room for maybe only one or two trees, I'd be discouraged about waiting 8-9 years for good fruit production though. That's all.

No lie, the fruit is excellent. Maybe next year is my year...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »
Think I overestimated size; common male attribute/error...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »
In my opinion,  Coco Cream is the worst of the "new" coconut flavored varieties...unless you like Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion.  The tree' growth habit, horrible.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »
Coconut Cream still has plenty of fans!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnpavX-IVFw
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:14:18 PM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
Coconut Cream still has plenty of fans!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnpavX-IVFw

A classic bottom tier tasting.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »
chok anan, the miracle mango. It would take a miracle to get me to plant it.
Brandon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »
chok anan, the miracle mango. It would take a miracle to get me to plant it.
Confirmation one more time that taste is relative.  I have a choc anon and am I glad I have one.  I was thinking of grafting a second but the first tree makes so much fruit (and flowers multiple times for an extended season) that perhaps just the one and a couple of bonus branches on another tree will do.
Enough for me and for friends who ask for some because they have tried and love it.

I have several of the top tiers but this tree stays, perhaps one day it might get a sister.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 01:32:38 PM »
1. Coconut cream - no fruit in 6 plus years, always has fungus/disease issues (in my yard) and a scraggly growth habit like an octopus with branches growing down most of the time. Sad to say I never tasted it. Never plant one again.

2. Alphonso - doesn't produce in florida

3. Mallika - Never could get the timing right and always tasted like a vegetable.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 03:40:31 PM »
No Glen for me -- just bland tasting.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »

Gotta speak up, because this is just not true for everyone, or probably anyone with a few trees ("bottom tier"). Glenn has been the most productive and consistent of my trees. Fruit is good, sometimes very good. Clean, fiberless, juicy, and sweet. Has peachy aroma and taste as well. Not complex enough, I will admit. But still a really good mango when grown right.

I've had bland Glenns, probably were hit with nitrogen or grown up north (anywhere north of Miami; don't know how ya'll can stand the cold!). 

My sense is Glenn does better down here south of Miami, and likes limestone soil, and no nitrogen.

My Glenns are quite nice, sweet and peachy.

I don't doubt that other people grow crappy or subpar Glenns.

Its the perfect mango for my wife and youngest kid, wouldn't dream of chopping it.

Will start breakfast with a Glenn, then a coffee, and will go from there...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:36:32 PM by roblack »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »

Gotta speak up, because this is just not true for everyone, or probably anyone with a few trees ("bottom tier"). Glenn has been the most productive and consistent of my trees. Fruit is good, sometimes very good. Clean, fiberless, juicy, and sweet. Has peachy aroma and taste as well. Not complex enough, I will admit. But still a really good mango when grown right.

I've had bland Glenns, probably were hit with nitrogen or grown up north (anywhere north of Miami; don't know how ya'll can stand the cold!). 

My sense is Glenn does better down here south of Miami, and likes limestone soil, and no nitrogen.

Its the perfect mango for my wife and youngest kid, wouldn't dream of chopping it.

I like Glenns, it’s my wife’s favorite mango. The kids like them and so do friends. It’s a pleasant mango, and not messy so I usually grab one and eat it whole on the way to work. It is always reliable.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »

I like Glenns, it’s my wife’s favorite mango. The kids like them and so do friends. It’s a pleasant mango, and not messy so I usually grab one and eat it whole on the way to work. It is always reliable.

Gotta disagree.   Its definitely not always reliable.   At its best, its pleasant but not too intense or complex.  On an average or off year, its close to mildly sweet nothingness.  If you get too much rain, its insipid.
- Rob

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »
I'd like to see this answered for Brisbane, Australia.  Alphonsos just became available over here and I planted two of them due to hype.  I have tasted them in the UK (shipped from India) and they were pretty nice.  I can agree that I think Glenn tastes like watery nothing.  I'll say the same thing for Keitt but I'm only speaking for the ones grown around here.  Calypso is pretty subtle as well but has such a nice texture I don't mind at all.  Nice for a change though generally a prefer things a little more acid-spritzy.  This question becomes totally different when you bring in the "green eating" aspect of it.

Old mango trees are everywhere in Brisbane but most are common "stringy" seedlings. 
Not ranking them at all - typical modern backyard plantings are:

Kensington Pride (Bowen)
R2E2
Valencia Pride
Brooks Late
Kent
Palmer
Keow Savoey (Green eating)
Bambaroo (Improved KP)
Nam doc Mai
Kwan
Honey Gold
Maha Chanok (King Thai)
Glenn
Keitt

I have planted Kwan, King Thai, Alphonso & Lemon Zest.  None are at the point of fruiting yet. I would love to have someone in Brisbane validate my choices or give me hard truths by providing a list of the losers for this area.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 10:29:37 PM »
I planted my Coconut Cream tree in the ground at the end of 2020, here is a picture of the tree I took last weekend. The tree is holding 15 fruit, I had the first ripe fruit a few days ago and it tasted very nice.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 10:45:10 PM »
What size pot was it in before you planted it in the ground and how long had you had it in the pot?

By the way, very nice looking tree.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 01:26:26 AM »
Nice for a change though generally a prefer things a little more acid-spritzy. 

Keitt too is on the bottom as Glenn for me. Even farmed in the Coachella desert, Keitt is too watery and bland for me. As about Glenn, my area is lack of rain all year and the flavor as I descripted -- just bland. I would rather have a stringy old type but more acidity and flavor than those.

Agreed that Glenn fruiting is consistence bearer, but no thank you. 

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 05:23:46 AM »
100% I would rather have the stringy old street seedlings with their characteristic sour tones than Glenn or Keitt. Again I'm only speaking for fresh ripe eating. Not sure if those two dry well or not.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 06:53:08 AM »
Aha as I suspected some of these floridian stars are turning out to be flops.Good on you guys for calling them out. BF you have 5 varieties often referred in the local parlance as trash. Kent, palmer,Glenn, brooks and keitt command the lowest prices in the market and are unfit to take a place in a mango lovers yard. Correct that feral stringies have a superior taste than these and are the best for chutney and even manfgo icecream. Keow Sawoy can be aten ripe and iit is good. Maha and NDM are great and kwan is just like a big NDM and great. The KPs are 1st class but R2E3 is a bit bland but ok. Honey gold is really nice. BTW we are forgetting the most offensive quality in some mango varieties. Hydrocarbon taint, which is quite acceptable in some parts of the world but not SE Asia or Australia. In papaya the offensive taint in cold grown yellows especially is known as nasturtium.