Author Topic: A little mango tale for today  (Read 476 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
A little mango tale for today
« on: June 19, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
Today I was minding my own business, eating a very floral PSM (Pim Seng Mun) mango under a shady tree. Eating outside I can then walk over to the garden hose. To wash mango juices off my face and hands.

When a man drives by in long white tradesman's van (no rear windows) . He is probably a contractor of some kind. His son was riding shotgun. Starts shouting and laughing from 35ft away. So I walked closer and asked if he needed some mangos. Duh! He said that while going about his business, that he had driven by many times and always looks at my trees. I had to explain why I keep my trees on the small side. No higher than 16-17-18ft high.
What I had at hand were a total of 20 mangos. Half were in the refrigerator. These were kind of the B mangoes that my buyers had turned their noses up at. Some were really A grade. Some just slightly over ripe but still firm. A few hit the ground today.

Put them all out on a large towel on the lawn. Told him to take what looked good to him. He took about 18 of them. So now I have no mango overstock. I hate mangoes going to waste. I want all of mine to be eaten which I will admit is an ego thing. I am happy that 18 more of my crop will make people happy eating them.

Zands= True friend of the working man.
Those who roll up in a Mercedes or Infinity pay me $5 per. Last year Jeff Bezos paid me $100 per mango. Bill Gates hates them.

(Going by his accent he was Caribbean) (Prime mango enthusiasts of this hemisphere)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:31:39 PM by zands »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: A little mango tale for today
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
You should have charged Bezos at least $1000 per mango!  I felt the same way about "my mangos." Except for the ones the animals got I wouldn't let a single one spoil or go to waste.  I would wander around the neighborhood with bags of mangos or bring them to work.  My wife couldn't understand my obsession with not letting them lay around and accumulate and possibly spoil.  I wouldn't call it an ego thing, just wanting to share the bounty and see people enjoy superior fruit that they could never find in a store.  It's feels very rewarding when people tell you, "Those were the best mangos I've ever tasted."  (Picking them perfectly ripe helps.)  (Now I'm waiting for Rob to write, "You should never pick your mangos perfectly ripe.")
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:33:23 PM by johnb51 »
John

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Re: A little mango tale for today
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
Today I was minding my own business, eating a very floral PSM (Pim Seng Mun) mango under a shady tree. Eating outside I can then walk over to the garden hose. To wash mango juices off my face and hands.

When a man drives by in long white tradesman's van (no rear windows) . He is probably a contractor of some kind. His son was riding shotgun. Starts shouting and laughing from 35ft away. So I walked closer and asked if he needed some mangos. Duh! He said that while going about his business, that he had driven by many times and always looks at my trees. I had to explain why I keep my trees on the small side. No higher than 16-17-18ft high.
What I had at hand were a total of 20 mangos. Half were in the refrigerator. These were kind of the B mangoes that my buyers had turned their noses up at. Some were really A grade. Some just slightly over ripe but still firm. A few hit the ground today.

Put them all out on a large towel on the lawn. Told him to take what looked good to him. He took about 18 of them. So now I have no mango overstock. I hate mangoes going to waste. I want all of mine to be eaten which I will admit is an ego thing. I am happy that 18 more of my crop will make people happy eating them.

Zands= True friend of the working man.
Those who roll up in a Mercedes or Infinity pay me $5 per. Last year Jeff Bezos paid me $100 per mango. Bill Gates hates them.

(Going by his accent he was Caribbean) (Prime mango enthusiasts of this hemisphere)

Bill Gates hates everything good in life... We'll be renting a K-car before visiting for sure! :'(