Author Topic: Is freezing mangos worth the time and effort?  (Read 1581 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Is freezing mangos worth the time and effort?
« on: July 04, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »
How I would do this---

Cut the mango halves off. Scoop out all the flesh. Get flesh off the seed as well as can be done. All mango skins are tossed out. Put all this into a container and freeze.
How does this taste 3 months later?

From what I have read, that after a few months in the freezer it is a watery mess that has lost much flavor and sweetness? True or not? Thanks in advance!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is freezing mangos worth the time and effort?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »
How I would do this---

Cut the mango halves off. Scoop out all the flesh. Get flesh off the seed as well as can be done. All mango skins are tossed out. Put all this into a container and freeze.

From what I have read, that after a few months in the freezer it is a watery mess that has lost much flavor and sweetness? True or not? Thanks in advance!

Yes but put into bags, vacuum seal if possible.   They are not the best for eating as fruit out if hand but very good to puree and use in smoothies or sauces.  I have had them in desserts and when done right, a decent winter treat.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »
How I would do this---

Yes but put into bags, vacuum seal if possible.   They are not the best for eating as fruit out if hand but very good to puree and use in smoothies or sauces.  I have had them in desserts and when done right, a decent winter treat.
This is what I plan on doing this season I bought a freezer just for this purpose I asked my wife about making mango juice and freeze it. She said it would be better to do what Rob just said. I know she freezes guavus and Barbados cherries and makes excellent juice during the holidays. I'm hoping the same thing holds true for mangoes. Basically making mango juice you skin the mangoes. Cut it off the seed. Then into pieces put in the blender add just a little water and some lemon or lime juice the blend it. The Jamaicans add a little ginger. So I may have her do that for the holidays.
In January when everyone is Jonesing for a mango and you're sitting pretty drinking mango juice.🥭 Sounds like a sweet deal😊

January 6th Zill white guava juice
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:05:55 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
If you cut them up and remove the skin and seed, frozen mangoes are good for months.

Most are not nearly as good frozen as fresh, but some are even better frozen.

Stock up while you can!

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
Yes, mangoes freeze very well but I would use them in smoothies or ice cream (see vitamix recipes online). I found it kind of stressful to have so much fruit ready at once and now I have nothing. I would try and spread out your maturity times throughout the year with your trees. It takes time every night to slice up the mango onto a baking sheet covered with parchment, freeze and then put into reusable stashed bags.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 05:37:28 PM »
It’s worth it if you have a surplus so you don’t waste food and can have good smoothies when mango season is over. It definitely is tiresome though and easier just to eat the fruit fresh. Ideally spread out your varieties so you don’t have everyThing ready at the same Time

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 05:51:36 PM »
I do a quick peel, slice the 2 halves off, eat sides of seed, slide in ziplock.  6 big mango halves per bag.
I got 6 bags cause squirrels told me they were ripe to pick.  Sat in sun a week then froze.

Bananas i got 6 or more bags as well.  Good for 12 months or forever if hungry enough for 1.
Eat them like frozen ice pops.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
Don't let them freezer burn, like any food meant to be frozen, use thick bags, remove all air, chill first (cold part of the fridge), then move to a freezer in small amounts on a cookie sheet to conduct the heat out. Once solid, they make excellent chamango.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 06:15:40 PM »
When I had a bumper crop of Pickering and Angie, this is how I would freeze them.  First peel, then slice them in half away from the seed, putting all in a big bowl.  When done with that step, go back and cut the halves in pieces (roughly bitesize) onto a cookie sheet along with what you can salvage from the seeds. Freeze.  When they're frozen, you can bag them and handle them easily.  Fortunately I had a separate upright freezer with plenty of room for the cookie sheets.  As mentioned above, it's best to use frozen mango in drinks, such as smoothies.  And yes, I think it's worth the effort.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:20:07 PM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
I have limited freezer space. No stand alone freezer. But If I had a stand alone I would freeze most mangos whole with the skin on. When you take the whole mango out it is very easy to peel as it defrosts, though you must do this within a few minutes of it being out at room temperature. Then take the "naked" mango(s) and move on to your next steps.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:22:04 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 06:24:57 PM »
I have limited freezer space. No stand alone freezer. But If I had a stand alone I would freeze most mangos whole with the skin on. When you take the whole mango out it is very easy to peel as it defrosts, though you must do this within a few minutes of it being out at room temperature. Then take the "naked" mango(s) and move on to your next steps.

I tried the freezing whole method, no benefit from the method I described above.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »
When I had a bumper crop of Pickering and Angie, this is how I would freeze them.  First peel, then slice them in half away from the seed, putting all in a big bowl.  When done with that step, go back and cut the halves in pieces (roughly bitesize) onto a cookie sheet along with what you can salvage from the seeds. Freeze.  When they're frozen, you can bag them and handle them easily.  Fortunately I had a separate upright freezer with plenty of room for the cookie sheets.  As mentioned above, it's best to use frozen mango in drinks, such as smoothies.  And yes, I think it's worth the effort.

Not recommended for a standard freezer.   Ice crystals form and cause added water plus run the risk of freezer burn.  You want minimal exposure to air.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »
Forgot to mention I would cover the cookie sheets with parchment paper, and also cover everything with plastic wrap.  Yes, some ice crystals would form, but that didn't seem to be an issue when utilizing the frozen mango.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 07:05:24 PM »
I dehydrate then freeze. After a year they end up as mango chips but I'll take it when I have nothing

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
2yrs ago i froze some whole, unpeeled.  Mush as they thaw to peel.   Didn't like it.
Now i have halves that i plan on easily chopping into slices & eat while still frozen, before they warm to mush.
Or throw in blender for mixed drinks.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
I dehydrate then freeze. After a year they end up as mango chips but I'll take it when I have nothing

When I dehydrate,  they are eaten in days.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 09:52:16 PM »
Do you add anything to mango chips prior to dehydrating, or just straight up mangoes?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »
Do you add anything to mango chips prior to dehydrating, or just straight up mangoes?

Just slice between 1/4" -1/3" inch slices,  lay on dehydrator trays and let the machine do the work.

- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »

What Rob said. I prefer them on the greener side for dehydration. They seem to ripen a more during the process

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 06:55:28 PM »

What Rob said. I prefer them on the greener side for dehydration. They seem to ripen a more during the process

Funny you say that  because I have found a mango that is a tad overripe to eat out of hand can be dehydrated and turns out darn goo
- Rob

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 07:43:04 PM »

Just slice between 1/4" -1/3" inch slices,  lay on dehydrator trays and let the machine do the work.
Wife & I have done this & it is tasty... But the last of the sentence is very important "let the machine do the work". Yes, the machine will work and work and work and work to dry slices.

Making wraps on parchment paper from a mango puree using a blender etc. will be less "work" for the machine and much quicker to dehydrate the mango roll ups that can then be eaten, refrigerated, or frozen etc etc. etc.

The thinner amount of puree is much easier & qucker to dehydrate vs. cutting & dehydrating any type of fruit slices due to the thickness and a slower dehydration process.

But both processes  sliced fruit or puree of fruit dehydrated taste very good & more concentrated when dehydrated ... If you have the patience & time. Just giving another qucker choice.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »

Wife & I have done this & it is tasty... But the last of the sentence is very important "let the machine do the work". Yes, the machine will work and work and work and work to dry slices.

Making wraps on parchment paper from a mango puree using a blender etc. will be less "work" for the machine and much quicker to dehydrate the mango roll ups that can then be eaten, refrigerated, or frozen etc etc. etc.

The thinner amount of puree is much easier & qucker to dehydrate vs. cutting & dehydrating any type of fruit slices due to the thickness and a slower dehydration process.

But both processes  sliced fruit or puree of fruit dehydrated taste very good & more concentrated when dehydrated ... If you have the patience & time. Just giving another qucker choice.

Really depends on the machine.  Mine has dual zones with dual fans with adjustable temp settings.  Dries mango pretty quick.  Lychee takes longer as it gas more water content.

Also, I much prefer dehydrated slices over fruit leather.
- Rob