Author Topic: Anyone in SE Florida eating their Keitt mangoes yet?  (Read 1056 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Anyone in SE Florida eating their Keitt mangoes yet?
« on: July 30, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
I have some Keitt fruits hanging that have reddish shoulders. A few have reddish blotches on their faces. They are still rock hard. If taken off the tree will they ripen in a room that is not air conditioned? Get ripe in 3-4 days? Are you eating your Keitts yet? All mangos seem early this year in SE Florida. Thanks for any input!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in SE Florida eating their Keitt mangoes yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:46:37 PM »
I picked some 10 days ago even though they didn't look ripe.  (My friend with the PPK tree also has a Keitt tree.)  They're soft enough to eat now.  I had one today, and it was a little lacking in sugar but the flavor was ok.  I don't have anywhere else to keep them other than the kitchen--no patio or porch--and the AC doesn't seem to stop them from ripening.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:37:24 AM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 09:08:43 PM »
I picked some about two weeks ago even though they didn't look ripe.  (My friend with the PPK tree also has a Keitt tree.)  They're soft enough to eat now.  I had one today, and it was a little lacking in sugar but the flavor was ok.

I really prefer picking Keitt when it has some give to it. Some bit of softness. But the local mango hounds are barking for them now. Ain't much else around now. Except for seeded watermelons at Walmart. Bought a 24 pounder today for $6.

I think you are right that Keitt is sweeter when allowed time to hang and ripen, until if gets that bit of soft to the touch.

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:24 PM »
Sadly most of my Keitts have MBBS bad. Could fill 3 five gal buckets full of bad fruit. The good ones that are still hanging and started to blush a little red even though they are hard as a rock I pulled and let ripened, took about 5 to 7 days. Not to bad but I can still tell they need to hang longer, not as sweet as a good late ripened Keitt had some pretty good ones in the past.
The problem I have though is I have to complete with the blue jays and squirrels. If I let them hang on they will sure get them before me. Little bas#&#$@ always seem to get the ones I can't see right away and are perfect to pick.
Thinking about chopping it down and replacing it with another variety. I would top work it but the previous owners planted this tree years ago 1ft from the property line, they were brothers. Since then by new neighbors put a 6ft vinyl fence up and its right up against the trunk.
Sucks because I really like the lateness of this tree. Not to many if any varieties that are as late as a Keitt, maybe Neelam.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »
I’m so sorry your trees are affected by MBBS. I’ve become pretty worried about this disease so I stopped composting mangoes from farms (I’ve read the description but never seen a raised black spot, one of my Glenn mangoes had a star shaped cut and fell off tiny, not sure if this is MBBS). Does anyone know if this disease is in the Miami area? I have a keitt tree that is not producing and seems sick (Irma victim :( )

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »
Dan, I picked a few from my tree many because they work in the way.
I'll let you know in a week how they ripen

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »

Yeah let me know. Picked hard as a rock but w coloration. Will your Keitts get ripe indoors. Mine are rock hard but look good. Look good as mangoes to take off the tree, to ripen in the house.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »

Yeah let me know. Picked hard as a rock but w coloration. Will your Keitts get ripe indoors. Mine are rock hard but look good. Look good as mangoes to take off the tree, to ripen in the house.
Skhan lets his picked mangos ripen outdoors in the patio.  (I hope you don't mind me answering for you, S!)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:12:05 PM by johnb51 »
John

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:43:54 AM »

Though I am in Zone 9b, just thought I would share my experience...I have a very small Keitt mango tree even though it is 14 years old Lol...planted it in a not so great location and gets very little sun, we removed a tree in Feb that was causing all the shade on the Keitt... and the tree now gets a little more sun than before. Last year it did not produce because I pruned it late in the fall. This year however it has about 15 or so mangoes on it. A few have some blushing due to now getting some direct sun. Mine are also "rock hard" but decided to pick one just to see "if" it would ripen on the counter. It took about 6-7 days and it softened up a bit and decided to cut it last night and it sure was delicious!! Very sweet and tasted great, the color of the skin never got any more yellow, pretty much stayed the shade of green but it did soften up. Since that one ripened I picked another one yesterday and will do the same. It ripened in a 78 degree pantry/counter with no issues...

I am also doing the same thing with my Mahas...picking 2 or 3 at a time and letting them ripen on the counter and they have been ripening just perfectly in 4-7 days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk