Author Topic: Mango Season started at Truly Tropical  (Read 9156 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Mango Season started at Truly Tropical
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
Mango season is finally here! I got to try my first mango of the season today with Chris over at Truly Tropical. They have some Rosa available. Flavor was great, very citrusy, little resinous taste... Chris said that the Dwarf Hawaiian should be ripening up next. I really enjoyed those last year. She also has some Caimito left for sale. I also saw a forum member there (mangorific), I think, anyway, get over there and get some fruit...

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Season started at Truly Tropical
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Sweet. I too loved the Dwarf Hawaiian last year. May make a trip next weekend.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
Yah, the dwarfies were really good. I grafted a tree, and it has 3 bb-sized fruits at only 1 foot tall. Flower spikes coming out of its ears. Funny little guy.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
Wow its already here!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Hey Mike, good meeting you!

Truly Tropical is great. I love the variety. I think she said to expect the Dwarf Hawaiian in about four (4) weeks.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
So help me to understand this.  Is this a "tasting" event for the locals
at this place, or fruit that's for sale to the general public?

Either way, so great you guys already have fresh mangoes....

Dreamin' in Cali-forn-I-A

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Mike !

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
OMG...those are amazing pictures!! This is going to be the longest 3-4 months ever!!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
picked up a few dwarf hawaiians from TT last week.  They were small and tasty.  The fruit has a small amount of fiber, but not objectionable at all.  Has a multitude of tastes.  Startss out like regular sweet mango flavor, slight citrus detected, then a slight resinous flavor that was balanced by the sweet so that it wasn't a turn-off at all.  Then it finished with notes of coconut water/vanilla (subtle, but there) that is refreshing.  I asked the wife, would you want a tree of this variety, She didn't even blink--just answered Yes! immediately.  If it were ripe in July, it wouldn't be remarkable, but those were the last of the season (last week), so it is great to have mangoes this time of year.  I have only tried one early rosigold, and found it good, but not great--kinda rubbery and not complex. 

Pros:  flavor complexity, compactish tree, little fiber,  available when little else is.

Cons:  slight bitterness near skin, small fruit

I believe Chris will be grafting DH trees for those who are interested.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
picked up a few dwarf hawaiians from TT last week.  They were small and tasty.  The fruit has a small amount of fiber, but not objectionable at all.  Has a multitude of tastes.  Startss out like regular sweet mango flavor, slight citrus detected, then a slight resinous flavor that was balanced by the sweet so that it wasn't a turn-off at all.  Then it finished with notes of coconut water/vanilla (subtle, but there) that is refreshing.  I asked the wife, would you want a tree of this variety, She didn't even blink--just answered Yes! immediately.  If it were ripe in July, it wouldn't be remarkable, but those were the last of the season (last week), so it is great to have mangoes this time of year.  I have only tried one early rosigold, and found it good, but not great--kinda rubbery and not complex. 

Pros:  flavor complexity, compactish tree, little fiber,  available when little else is.

Cons:  slight bitterness near skin, small fruit

I believe Chris will be grafting DH trees for those who are interested.

I know of a tree in Palm Beach County that is holding fruit that arent ready yet...
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
yeah, i believe their season is over at TT due to selling them all, not that they can't hold fruit later.  Regardless, there aren't a lot of mangoes around right now, at least near me.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
yeah, i believe their season is over at TT due to selling them all, not that they can't hold fruit later.  Regardless, there aren't a lot of mangoes around right now, at least near me.

Yeah, they seem to be a little later than "normal" (whatever normal is).  From what I am seeing at a few location with acres of mango trees, timing is 2-4 weeks away from any real crops of mangoes coming in.
- Rob

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Are these early Alphonso mangoes? I was sent a box full of these mangoes from a friend down in Cerritos, CA last week from her large 10+ year old tree. They aren't that sweet, quite bland I must say, no aroma(kinda, but not very strong) and color don't look right either? However it is fiberless, but some of the fruits has these black veins underneath the skin. Any guess if a seedling or just some early mango cultivar's fruits, that's why they lack flavor and sweetness?

I forgot, it does kinda of have a musky smell/aroma overtone, but only if you really take a good long sniff ;D :P

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
Are these early Alphonso mangoes? I was sent a box full of these mangoes from a friend down in Cerritos, CA last week from her large 10+ year old tree. They aren't that sweet, quite bland I must say, no aroma(kinda, but not very strong) and color don't look right either? However it is fiberless, but some of the fruits has these black veins underneath the skin. Any guess if a seedling or just some early mango cultivar's fruits, that's why they lack flavor and sweetness?

I forgot, it does kinda of have a musky smell/aroma overtone, but only if you really take a good long sniff ;D :P

Looks like you have multiple varieties there (different shapes, sizes and colors).  Are they all "supposed" to be Alphonso?  The following is a Fairchild grown in Florida (picture from Fairchild).

- Rob

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »
When I asked her what variety she has, she said she only has two large 10+ year old trees. She said they are Alphonso? and Haden. This supposedly tree/Alphonso is ripening their fruits now and all those fruits in those pics are from the same tree, I think? Since she said her other Haden tree is a later season one. I guess she doesn't remember which cultivar it was either that she planted 10+ years ago?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
When I asked her what variety she has, she said she only has two large 10+ year old trees. She said they are Alphonso? and Haden. This supposedly tree/Alphonso is ripening their fruits now and all those fruits in those pics are from the same tree, I think? Since she said her other Haden tree is a later season one. I guess she doesn't remember which cultivar it was either that she planted 10+ years ago?

I personally have only seen a small handfull of Florida grown Alphonso (does not bear well here), and none of them have had a predominant red coloration. 
- Rob

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

I personally have only seen a small handfull of Florida grown Alphonso (does not bear well here), and none of them have had a predominant red coloration. 
I see, maybe JF or MangoFang or other Ca member that might have this Alphonso cultivar chime in what they think it is. Thanks Rob for your knowledge and help  :)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
Yes, Thao, never seen a DROP of red on any of my Alphonso's.  Only green now,
with yellow on the way!

Gary

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Yes, Thao, never seen a DROP of red on any of my Alphonso's.  Only green now,
with yellow on the way!

Gary
I guess Alphonso is out of the question for now. In that first pic with the yellow fruit, it was mostly yellow and all those other greener ones, turns either red or yellow as you let them ripen.

Maybe, these are her early Haden instead?

BTW, when is the season for your Alphonso or for regular Ca area( I know this can vary as well, since coastal and hotter inland area like yours, are going to be different).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:33:12 PM by thao »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
I have only seen a few Alphonso here in the D.R. and non had that coloration.   I have a couple trees , but are real slow growing for me in containers and have not flowered yet.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 07:21:40 AM »
Thao, does the mango have fibre? All the Hadens I've eaten have always had fiber...I've never tasted an Alphonso before though

Those mangoes sure looks delicious from my end  :)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Thao, does the mango have fibre? All the Hadens I've eaten have always had fiber...I've never tasted an Alphonso before though

Those mangoes sure looks delicious from my end  :)
Pugs, no fiber at all, completely fiberless.  I've had really Haden from Zands before and they don't taste anything alike, only maybe shape and color?

What ever they are, they still tasted mangoish?, but lacked pronounce sweetness or aroma.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
Truly Tropical is amazing.  When they first open their gates, it is a black friday-like rush to grab the quality mangos before they are all taken. That being said, it was totally worth pushing the old ladies out of the way for a haul like this:

George

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Truly Tropical is amazing.  When they first open their gates, it is a black friday-like rush to grab the quality mangos before they are all taken. That being said, it was totally worth pushing the old ladies out of the way for a haul like this:

damn!  you must have been throwing elbows like Charles Barkley!

I gotta make the trip there....thanks for sharing your bounty! 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
Geez man, so you were the reason there were only three mangoes per bucket left? Haha, good haul. If you haven't made it there this year, eleven varieties are ripe this week.