Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

The leaves of Sweet Potatoes taste good when raw or cooked... IMO

<< < (2/3) > >>

Galatians522:
They wilt quickly. I think that is why they are not sold much in the grocery store. Water spinach (Ipomea Aquatica) is a sweet potato relative grown in SE asia for its leaves and stems. It is the most common vegetable in some places from what I understand. However, it is illiegal to grow in Florida because it is an aquatic invasive. One advantage it has over sweet potato greens is a lower oxilate content. It would be neat to see if there were any hybrids between the two.

JoshuaTilaranCR:
Someone mentioned they taste like marshmallows, what do the people that have eaten it think?

RodneyS:

--- Quote from: palmcity on March 24, 2021, 10:46:53 AM ---No need to show if this topic has been mentioned before but I did not see it in a quick search but I think it would be a significant green leafy food addition to our diet.

Sweet potato leaves were picked by my wife from some sweet potato bulbs lightly covered with soil and watered for 2 weeks and there are a lot of leaves to eat.

I was surprised that they actually have a sweetness IMO when even eaten raw. Much better eaten raw than things like moringa or dollar weed IMO... Give them a try for your veggies as very easy to grow almost anywhere...

Now my wife also uses moringa leaves in many toppings to various dinners and I consider it more acrid and vinegar tasting & to be complemented with vinegar for a nice tartness on fish etc.

I am looking forward to the new sweet additional taste when she cooks.

--- End quote ---

I dry moringa leaves, then crush into powder.  It's good to store, and it takes away the horseradish bite.  Are yam leaves also good to eat?

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: JoshuaTilaranCR on March 27, 2021, 06:27:14 PM ---Someone mentioned they taste like marshmallows, what do the people that have eaten it think?

--- End quote ---

They do not taste like marshmallows to me.

RollingInTheWeeds:
I used to have a Filipino neighbor who grew sweet potato to eat the leaves, but I think he had a particular variety he had selected for the purpose.  The vine and leaves were dark purple.  He mentioned once that just sticking a sweet potato from the store into the ground wasn't a good idea because of soil pathogens they might carry (he didn't tell me the specifics, and I wasn't interested enough at the time to ask for more information).  But it makes me wonder now if I could find what he grew at a Filipino grocery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version