Author Topic: Shatian Pomelo 沙田柚 is selling in Asian market for the first time  (Read 1752 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
First time seem Shatian Pomelo selling in Asian supermarket here.  I brought 3 of them.  Time for moon cake festival.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Shatian Pomelo 沙田柚 is selling in Asian market for the first time
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
Nice!  Did they sell out?

Moon festival next Tuesday already huh? 

I like the cakes from Easten Bakery in San Francisco Chinatown the most... no dried up egg yolks or pasty fillings!

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:43 PM »
Easy to separate between the pulp and internal layer.  The pulp is firm, chewy, and not burst like the other pomelo.  After eat the entire pomelo, none of the pulp got burst. 

random roll dice
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:21:29 PM by pinkturtle »

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »
Visiting family this weekend,  San Jose Lundy 99 Ranch has them too... the spouse goes "you spent $13 on what?"  Me: "but pinkturtle bought even more!" ...   so, yes dear, let me buy you and your siblings some coffee...

Anyways,  thanks for the heads up on the pomelo availability! Notice what 99 labels them as? Same bag and all.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
Pomelo is one of the must have fruits during moon cake festival.  People in Asian give pomelo and moon cake as a gift during the festival time.

I read an article regarding there are surplus of pomelos in the Asian area due to COVID-19 this year, not a lot of people visiting each other.  I think that is the reason Shatian Pomelos are selling locally here for the first time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 03:30:25 PM by pinkturtle »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 05:07:19 PM »
I opened the last one I brought.  It is pink color not white.  Everything is the same as the other one except pulp is pink.  I will try to germinate the seeds for this pink variety.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
I went to multiple stores but did not find this pomelo. They only had the big green (round) pomelo which is light pink inside. It did not taste good, no sweetness, didn't finish the second one.

How is the taste of the Shatian, both the white flesh and red flesh?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 11:00:56 PM »
I went to multiple stores but did not find this pomelo. They only had the big green (round) pomelo which is light pink inside. It did not taste good, no sweetness, didn't finish the second one.

How is the taste of the Shatian, both the white flesh and red flesh?

It has a lighter pomelo taste than the other I tried before and not too sweet.  My guess is it is not fully ripen, the skin still semi green.  I didn't taste any sourness. The interesting part is the pulp, it is crunchy, like jello, and like squishy candy.  No Messy.  Even I squeezed the pulp, there is no juice/very little falling off.  I really enjoy eating it. 

I have some seeds available, PM me if you are interested.  Only limited available.  First come first serve and it is free.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 11:30:51 PM »
Sure, I will trade you for some seeds with the seeds from my fruiting large Chinese pomelo seedling tree when my fruits ripen in a few months. My fruits gets from 2-3 lbs each, very sweet, excellent taste. Better than other pomelos I have from UCR.

I accidentally knock off a couple these fruits trying to put on the fruit bag (organza) but it wouldn't fit inside so I keep pushing the bag over it and knocked them off. Should have just left them alone.
So if anyone wants seeds from these fruits (1.8 lbs), it is free, send me a PM. Only for CA residents please. I will send 10 seeds to each person requesting it until I run out.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 03:25:53 AM by sc4001992 »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 08:26:41 PM »
What color is the flesh?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »
My Roy_Seedling pomelo fruit color is the same as the one above by pinkturtle (white).

Here's some photo I took last year 2020.