Author Topic: Eugenia Noumeensis  (Read 895 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Eugenia Noumeensis
« on: October 22, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
Does anybody have any experience growing these? I have two seedlings growing right now but can't seem to find too much information online about them. All I got so far is a cauliflorous eugenia from New Caledonia.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia Noumeensis
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 11:11:22 PM »
I have seen a couple of plants offered here on the forum and a few more sold on eBay but none of those sellers included much information about it. One thing you should keep in mind when growing Eugenia noumeensis is that it is apparently from the New Caledonia Tropical Dry Forest ecoregion, the dry half of Grande Terre. It should be watered carefully, particularly as an indoor/greenhouse plant in temperate areas. It might be a plant sensitive to root rot from cooler temperatures and too much moisture in the soil. Similar issues have been encountered by growers trying to grow species from Brazil's Caatinga and Cerrado regions. But, there just is not a lot of information to go on regarding Eugenia noumeensis.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »
I have seen a couple of plants offered here on the forum and a few more sold on eBay but none of those sellers included much information about it. One thing you should keep in mind when growing Eugenia noumeensis is that it is apparently from the New Caledonia Tropical Dry Forest ecoregion, the dry half of Grande Terre. It should be watered carefully, particularly as an indoor/greenhouse plant in temperate areas. It might be a plant sensitive to root rot from cooler temperatures and too much moisture in the soil. Similar issues have been encountered by growers trying to grow species from Brazil's Caatinga and Cerrado regions. But, there just is not a lot of information to go on regarding Eugenia noumeensis.

This is very good advice

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:22:50 PM »
So far it's a slow grower, but tougher than I expected. I started the seeds in spring of 2020. I think one of two came up. I forgot about it while I was acclimating it to sun, so it died in october 2020, but resprouted from the seed. Recently I've been giving it maybe a half day of fall sun. Probably overwatering it.

<br /><br />

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 11:28:44 PM »
From what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be cauliflorous. There are some pictures of unripe fruit on the trunk online. Might be good as an ornamental species  :)
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 01:12:10 AM »
From what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be cauliflorous. There are some pictures of unripe fruit on the trunk online. Might be good as an ornamental species  :)

It is cauliflorous, like Plinias are. I wonder, since I do not know of any other cauliflorous Eugenias, why Eugenia noumeensis is classified as a Eugenia instead of a Plinia or something else. But, the fruit is also supposed to have a good flavor, though there are no real specifics on what it tastes like.

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
It could be classified as a Eugenia because of specific traits a plinia wouldn’t have, maybe its flowers? I’m not really good at morphological traits, so that’s just my guess.
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection