Author Topic: 100 gallon pot options?  (Read 4391 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: 100 gallon pot options?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 08:13:16 PM »
Check AGRX in Goleta For IBC type totes. These are used here for sulfuric acid delivery. You should be able to find a used one for cheap or free. You also may want to consider a MacroBin with a lining.  They should be about $200 new. Congrats on the great looking jaboticaba.

I have considered those field picking bins for raised bed gardens.
I do see them around also for Veg picking.
48"x40"x31"H

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
for anyone else thinking about this, I noticed that round "small pond liners" are a very wide, sturdy option 3-4ft wide and maybe 1-2ft tall.  For a tree without a taproot that might be perfect.  Unfortunately, they cost around $100 each so you won't save any money compared to nursery pots

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2021, 11:22:47 PM »
If you use those pond liners, you should make sure they are UV resistant so it doesn't crack apart after 1-2 yrs in direct sunlight.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »
I was under the assumption that all black plastics are UV resistant, might not be the case, good point.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2021, 02:44:12 AM »
You can find some high end mold press 100gallons for $100 each in some of the Orange County nursery

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »
You can find some high end mold press 100gallons for $100 each in some of the Orange County nursery

I've checked at Champa and they only go up to 45g. Do you have any recommendations? Still leaning toward the IBC for now due to price and fork life capability... But wouldn't mind a nice 100g round.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
Nursery here carries wide back plastic pot the has relieves at bottom for pallet jack.
It looks like any other black nursery pots but you can slide fork lift or pallet mover underneath.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
I found some local IBC totes in Ventura, 275 gallon, for $50. I'm going to buy one for rain water harvesting and another for the jabo. Just price wise, I think it makes most sense for me and I have an angle grinder to remove part of the cage and a portion of the top. I like square pots and I cannot lie.

AGRX, which another poster recommended, seemed really pissed I even asked for one haha. They said and I quote, "Absolutely not."

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 04:36:24 PM »
How are you planning on moving that thing around, if I may ask?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
I found some local IBC totes in Ventura, 275 gallon, for $50. I'm going to buy one for rain water harvesting and another for the jabo. Just price wise, I think it makes most sense for me and I have an angle grinder to remove part of the cage and a portion of the top. I like square pots and I cannot lie.

AGRX, which another poster recommended, seemed really pissed I even asked for one haha. They said and I quote, "Absolutely not."

I wonder if AGRX is having supply chain issues that have put them in a sour mood.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »
How are you planning on moving that thing around, if I may ask?

Pallet jack or will rent a forklift for my move combined with a 26' box truck with lift gate. Quite honestly I think this tote'd jaboticaba will be the least of my worries, it's the 25 gallon 6' wide dragonfruit plants that will be the hardest. I have 200 potted plants ranging from 4" seedling cups up to 75 gallon pots like this one I'm replacing. It is going to suck no matter what.

I wonder if AGRX is having supply chain issues that have put them in a sour mood.

I think they want to sell the stuff IN the tote, not the tote itself. I will say I do not see the same effects in supply chain issues for plants / fertilizers as I do where I work at a skateboard factory... Many of our most important chemicals have been claimed by the defence production act and we are scrambling all the time to get what we need to make our wheels.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 11:38:32 AM »
Tote acquired for $50 and super clean nice shape. Used by a car detailer so only water in it.

The next question is, do most people prefer up-potting in winter or spring? I always go for Spring but have been doing lots of reading seeing benefits to winter up potting, just like winter in ground planting.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »
I up-pot any time of year if the plant looks to be outgrowing its container. 

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »
I prefer up-potting in spring, but frankly, I do it whenever I have time to do it. If I am busy in the spring, plants will simply get up-potted in whatever season I have time to. I have not seen any problems with this because I do not step them up into too large of a container and because they are kept fairly warm in the winter, in the 50s or above.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 03:50:06 PM »
I prefer up-potting in spring, but frankly, I do it whenever I have time to do it. If I am busy in the spring, plants will simply get up-potted in whatever season I have time to. I have not seen any problems with this because I do not step them up into too large of a container and because they are kept fairly warm in the winter, in the 50s or above.

It will definitely go down into the 30s or high 20s and this is going to be a big transplant - from 75g up to 100-120g so there will be lots of extra soil. We can frequently have basically zero Spring ramp up and it can go from 40f high to 90f high in a week between February and March and then stay there till December. It's more just 3-4 days of cold spikes periodically between Dec - March and then winter is over.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
I would do it when the temperature is not over 75F so not much heat stress to the tree. I like to transplant large trees from Dec-Jan. I am moving a large avocado from in ground to pot now. Also will be transplanting from ground to pot a 15 yr old citrus tree (multi-grafted), 3 mulberry tree (7 yrs old), 2 loquat trees, and 3 plumeria trees (15 yrs old).

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »
I would do it when the temperature is not over 75F so not much heat stress to the tree. I like to transplant large trees from Dec-Jan. I am moving a large avocado from in ground to pot now. Also will be transplanting from ground to pot a 15 yr old citrus tree (multi-grafted), 3 mulberry tree (7 yrs old), 2 loquat trees, and 3 plumeria trees (15 yrs old).

Sounds like I should do it sooner than later. Easy to keep it dry here in CA so less chance of root rot or something.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »
yes.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 10:17:38 AM »

It is done

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
Well done, looks nice, solid and stable.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Hey, they actually look kinda nice once there's a tree inside.  I like it

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
Looks very nice, good job. That is a nice large planter.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
Hey, they actually look kinda nice once there's a tree inside.  I like it

I was surprised how nice it looks too! I think when you cut it in half it looks less industrial or the lines are better or something. I don't even feel the need to dress the outside.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2021, 12:47:37 PM »

A friend is hoarding these.
You can root prune without any lifting.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »
That looks really nice.
Its giving me ideas now.

I'm curious what did you use to fill it up and how much did it cost?