Author Topic: Looking for a tropical fruit tree that would fit in this spot  (Read 1101 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Looking for a tropical fruit tree that would fit in this spot
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »
Hello, I was looking for a tropical tree to use as both shade for my front yard parking and taste good. What should I do? The trees I had in mind are the following, I would love contributions and suggestions too

Star apple
Abiu
Cac mango
Royal poinciana
Jacaranda
Pierce cherimoya

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a tropical fruit tree that would fit in this spot
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:48:45 AM »
Obviously there are variables involved...especially for us without a picture to see. What direction is your parking area? Is the yard fenced? How much sun does your desired location have? For me, the front yard is off limits to expensive/slow growing fruit trees because my home reno. is not finished and people will inevitably steal the fruit (we have a 20+ft. Mexicola at the end of the driveway and it gets picked apart every year). Wind is a big thing. We have a 40 ft Jacaranda on the side of the driveway thats been there for 80+ years but if that were D. Regia it would get destroyed from a strong Santa ana wind event. Caimito does best in a sheltered location (here at least), cherimoya are fine but it depends on the growth habits and/or your ability to prune them correctly. Abiu is marginal at best, and will not stand up to a fierce East wind/and or a significant frost. Mangos (with a desirable rootstock) would be great for shade but it depends on where you plant them etc. Obviously some grow quicker than others. Good luck, Chris
-Chris

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a tropical fruit tree that would fit in this spot
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:28 PM »
Thanks, I think I can pull it off because I'm in one of those microclimates. Thanks, matt I might go with a mango or cherimoya instead