Author Topic: WANTED: Polyembrionic Mango Seeds (especially coconut cream).  (Read 1483 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
WANTED: Polyembrionic Mango Seeds (especially coconut cream).
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »
This is part of an experiment that myself and others in my group in Las Vegas will be doing to see if Mango fares better here seed grown than grafted. We've had some success with grafted trees, but monoembronic seeds we've planted seem to do better (and generally those are the only types sold in stores here). But, monos being monos, they won't be true to type, so meh.

I'm particularly looking for high quality variety ones, especially coconut cream. I managed to snag one a few months ago, but some asshole creature dug out the seed sprounts and damaged their roots, thusly dead.

I won't complain if the seeds are still inside fresh fruit. ;)

Don't have much in the tropical world to trade at the moment, but I do have a large seed collection, particularly for peppers. Failing that, I'll be happy to pay for them via Paypal.

Thanks!

Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: WANTED: Polyembrionic Mango Seeds (especially coconut cream).
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:44:13 AM »
I will be in Thailand in a couple of months. I can eat the mangoes and send you the seeds. There are many varieties like Nam doc or anon choc who are polyembrionic.
Also มะม่วงกะล่อน Kalon Mango which has small fruits and it's eaten unripe is a very strong tree both to temperature and pests.
The only thing is there a problem importing them? The seeds lose viability after 5 days.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
they will germinate in transit, I have grown mango seeds that way

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
Shipped with some wet paper towels in a ziploc bag, they should do fine and will likely germinate by the time I get them.

Thanks! I'll look forward to hearing from you again on those.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.