Author Topic: Chili Peppers in tropical climates  (Read 1629 times)

Chronobae

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
Chili Peppers in tropical climates
« on: July 20, 2021, 12:09:05 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience growing chili peppers in hot and humid areas? I believe the tropical plants would do fairly well (Habaneros/Scotch bonnets) but i'm not sure about the mexican peppers. I was looking to find and grow some serranos to make hot sauce but i'm not sure if it's worth planting into the ground or if it's just easier to go buy them in the latin grocery stores.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Chili Peppers in tropical climates
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »
I bought a datil pepper plant from Florida a few years ago.  Super productive, plant has been growing for over three years.  Taste is fruity and spicy, similar to habenero to me.  Although I’m technically not in tropical growing area, this pepper’s been grown in Florida for over hundred years.  It’s one of my favorites for ease of growing and taste.

Janet

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
I grow all kinds of peppers year round. Scotch bonnets, habaneros, datil, puma, cgn 21500/red dawn, shishito, thai orange, piri piri, habanada, serrano, etc.

Some do better than others, but almost all have grown and produced for me in South Miami area.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
Nearly all the hottest one go ok on warm humid climates and boom in winter. Over 400mm spread throughout the year and within 5 latitude of the equator may be a different story. They certainly thrive in place way hotter and wetter than miami.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
I try to grow hot peppers year round. My goal is to have
peppers available every day of the year. I grow most of them
in 7 or 15 gallon pots. I give them miracle grow 20-20-20
liquid drench and they flower continually. I have one now that
really likes the full sun

I call it carlos cause a guy named Carlos gave it to me. It's not super hot but
has a great taste and I pick 6-10 a day
I also have a Carolina reaper right now that is not quite shaped like the
pepper I got the seeds from and it's the hottest pepper I have ever had.
I have had pepper plants live over 2 years but the best production is usually
6-12 months old. If you want some seeds PM me.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 04:39:03 PM »
Carlos looks a lot like piri piri pepper. Sounds like it too.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 05:00:24 PM »
Some peppers, particularly super hots and large bell varities, really appreciate the extra humidity. It's important to watch your watering though. Light watering with dry-out in-between is the best way to go when they're grown in high humidity, as peppers tend to be sensitive to overwatering (they even are here in Vegas during the summer).
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Chronobae

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »
Do you guys normally grow them in pots or in the ground?

Also do you notice any difference in taste between the store bought variety vs home grown?

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
I've done both. Personally I prefer large garden beds and have had the the most success with that. Your mileage may vary depending on your soil type. If it's high draining, in-ground is great.

There's definitely a difference in taste. I theorize it's one part environment (heat stresses the plants which produce hotter fruits) and another part nurture (organic methods rather than synthetic fertilizers, and picking when ripe).
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »
Bird peppers are actually native to Florida and still grow wild in a few places. Some people speculate that they escaped cultivation by the Native Americans. They look like small Thai Hot peppers and are probably closely related. The hot ones seem to be less trouble to grow, but even bell peppers will grow through the summer if they get shade.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
Do you guys normally grow them in pots or in the ground?

Also do you notice any difference in taste between the store bought variety vs home grown?
In my yard, they do best in pots in partial shade. Trinidad scorpion has been the most productive for me.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 10:05:17 PM »
I have been able to grow both in pots and in ground.
I will likely stay with potted peppers this year, just to take nematodes out of the equation for this crop of peppers.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »

has a great taste.

What a beautiful chili pepper!! So instead of young small green fruits these are purple as an eggplant when they are young?

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 04:33:16 PM »

has a great taste.

What a beautiful chili pepper!! So instead of young small green fruits these are purple as an eggplant when they are young?

I forget the name, but that one is mostly grown as an ornamental. There's some others that start (or stay) purple and then ripen to either red or a range of colors.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 11:45:17 PM »
The two peppers that have grown well for me and produce year round are biscayne Cubanelle and habanada. In the winter you can grow other types but don’t waste your time with bell peppers. I love bell peppers but it’s hard to grow a decent one here.  These produce year round. However I plan on getting rid of the plants I have now before winter in case they are carrying TYLCV since I don’t want them to spread it to the tomatoes I’m planting.

Jalapeño/Serrano you can start in the fall and grown them in the winter until June. They may continue to produce a few peppers in the summer or you can start a plant later in March and see if it produces throughout the summer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:47:31 PM by Julie »

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
Give Sugar Rush Peach a grow. It's the hardiest, most vigorous grower and producer I've ever had. Survived our winter with no projection too, which is really rare for my area.

Peppers are tasty and roughly habanero level heat. There's also a striped version with peppers that look like bacon.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 01:29:07 PM »
An interesting pepper for wet areas is Fatali.  Found in Africa it is figured to be a pepper that was taken to Africa by Africans post slavery.  It’s a tad hotter than habanero and with a terrific citrus flavor.  This chili really has flavor for those who can stand the heat.
Peter