Author Topic: Sapodilla talk tonight, Sarasota/Venice  (Read 6716 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Sapodilla talk tonight, Sarasota/Venice
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
For anyone in the Sarasota/Venice area who might be interested, I’ll be giving a talk about Sapodilla to the Suncoast Rare fruit and vegetable Club in Nokomis tonight starting around 7:00. I’ll also field mango related questions at the end if people want to ask.
The address is:
Nokomis Community Center
234 Nippino Trail East, Nokomis, FL 34275

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla talk tonight, Sarasota/Venice
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
Will there be a recording made?

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:19:06 AM »
Damn! I just noticed this!
   I wish you had posted earlier. I missed the boat.
   What's the furthest north on Florida's gulf coast where sapodillas can be successfully grown?
   I'm in South Sarasota County and my attempt failed years ago and I've been afraid to try again. I know these trees do well on Pine Island, but that's its own microclimate.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »
Please record it!
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
   What's the furthest north on Florida's gulf coast where sapodillas can be successfully grown?
   I'm in South Sarasota County and my attempt failed years ago and I've been afraid to try again. I know these trees do well on Pine Island, but that's its own microclimate.

We were 30F last year and my sapodillas didn't blink. Another forum member from Lakeland was
colder and commented on their resilience. I planted a Morena on the South side of a huge oak and
it barely grew. I dug it up and put it in full sun and it is finally flushing. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »
They're tough plants, and the fruit is quite good as well. One of my favorite fruits to grow here.

We were 30F last year and my sapodillas didn't blink. Another forum member from Lakeland was
colder and commented on their resilience. I planted a Morena on the South side of a huge oak and
it barely grew. I dug it up and put it in full sun and it is finally flushing.
Jeff  :-)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »
Great talk Alex! This is the new variety/varieties I was talking about. The picture is different than the Thomas you showed.

-Josh

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 12:17:20 PM »
Great talk Alex! This is the new variety/varieties I was talking about. The picture is different than the Thomas you showed.

I’m not sure what that enlongated one is, i’ll have to ask about them.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »

If you can protect them the first few years while they’re establishing, you should be fine. Seen people growing them as far north as Tampa and Orlando. They have better cold hardiness than mango once they get some size to them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
Looks like ZHPP has an active facebook presence finally.

Funny thing is -- I actually prefer the gritty saps to the creamy ones. But no one propagates the gritty ones, so they only come from seedlings.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »

Funny thing is -- I actually prefer the gritty saps to the creamy ones. But no one propagates the gritty ones, so they only come from seedlings.

Excalibur has done some I think. Like Brown Sugar and Prolific

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
That's good to know. I might grab one :D. Thanks for the tip.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
Fiddler as acededomestica noted I am the person who lives in Lakeland and had a very young Hasya sapodilla survive a 25* night last year. I will post video link where I actually record the temperature that morning while I was outside protecting mango trees with burn barrels. You can also verify the temperature online where 24.8 was recorded at the airport not even a mile from my house. In the video there is only a quick glance of the camera at the sapodilla from a distance as I wasn't videoing that tree specifically. My other updated videos show the tree never even had a burnt leaf on it. It still boggles my mind why it survived untouched however the tree has been slow growing and I believe a state of dormancy probably played a role in it's survival. Two other saps I covered and protected. I actually left the Hasya for dead that night expecting it would die but to my surprise in survived. That night was a 6 hour freeze with at least 4 of them 28 or less. It was a bad night. The tree is still my slowest growing out of three saps and not sure why. Here is the link to that night: https://youtu.be/EJ6-mF9z73Y.  Here is the latest update video on that Hasya sapodilla shown in the very beginning of the video: https://youtu.be/erDI7zNbWnU

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »

Zills large Sapodillas are Gigantea (pictured?) and Ox.  We have some Gigantea we bought last year that have plenty of fruit on them now.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »

Does prolific actually live up to its name or is it just a marketing stunt?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »
Search for prolific here: https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sapodilla.html

An old time variety that is reported to bear heavily. Sounds like a winner in my book. I think the newer cultivars might be focused on smoother flesh?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »

Zills large Sapodillas are Gigantea (pictured?) and Ox.  We have some Gigantea we bought last year that have plenty of fruit on them now.

These are supposed to be new varieties being released this Spring possibly. One of them came from Squam's orchard. I am going to pick up a Gigantea the next time I over on the East Coast. I am not really a fan of Ox.
-Josh

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
Search for prolific here: https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sapodilla.html

An old time variety that is reported to bear heavily. Sounds like a winner in my book. I think the newer cultivars might be focused on smoother flesh?

Sure does sound like a winner. Wonder why it is not widely talked about?

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »

I know people here (AUS) aren’t happy with prolifics production. Mike is one of them (I think he cut his down), I’m sure he will chime in if he sees this thread.

Edit: here you go :) http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16922.msg214735#msg214735
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:54:08 PM by Ulfr »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Maybe it just wants a particular nutrient profile to be productive? I blast my saps with a lot of nitrogen, which seems to have a big impact on production. I've heard a lot of folks complain about lack of production from haysa, but mine produces a boatload of fruit... actually snapped a branch a couple of months ago.

I know people here (AUS) aren’t happy with prolifics production. Mike is one of them (I think he cut his down), I’m sure he will chime in if he sees this thread.

Edit: here you go :) http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16922.msg214735#msg214735

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
Maybe it just wants a particular nutrient profile to be productive? I blast my saps with a lot of nitrogen, which seems to have a big impact on production. I've heard a lot of folks complain about lack of production from haysa, but mine produces a boatload of fruit... actually snapped a branch a couple of months ago.

I was about to cut down my Hasya as it had produced just one fruit in 4-5  years since it was planted, but a couple of weeks  ago,  i found four little fruits on the tree. I have since decided to keep the tree. Jeff, do you use 8-3-9 or 8-2-12 for sapodillas? Do you give it foliar sprays as well?

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 07:02:27 PM »

Possible! I only have BKD111 and Tropical here so far and I’m yet to taste either of them from my yard (young trees).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
8-2-12 only, but I give it a lot. 8-2-12 is miracle in a bag, but you need to use a good amount of it. The only trees in my orchard that don't get it are mangoes (those get Har's mix).

I was about to cut down my Hasya as it had produced just one fruit in 4-5  years since it was planted, but a couple of weeks  ago,  i found four little fruits on the tree. I have since decided to keep the tree. Jeff, do you use 8-3-9 or 8-2-12 for sapodillas? Do you give it foliar sprays as well?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
8-2-12 only, but I give it a lot. 8-2-12 is miracle in a bag, but you need to use a good amount of it. The only trees in my orchard that don't get it are mangoes (those get Har's mix).

Do I need to wait until March to feed them  8-2-12? Is it OK to fertilize now?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
I would do it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's a bad idea or not.

Do I need to wait until March to feed them  8-2-12? Is it OK to fertilize now?